SpyGlass

HM Schooner Pickle by SpyGlass - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale

I am strongly tempted to hurl the build into the bin and go and build plastic airplanes - I have just seen others build shooting ahead and mine has been stuck for years it seems. I nearly went out and bought a new kit and started again aiming for a "LESS THOUGHT JUST BUILD" approach !

But other realities are actually the reason for slowness - my back is coming along fine and I thought I was there but the admiral is now diagnosed with cancer !! Age is a b**** nuisance !

Hi Spyglass,

Have patience. On the other, my Pickle has not moved in a couple of years and I did, indeed, switch to "non-thinking" models for a while. I built a wonderful four-stroke engine, easily replacing plastic bits with steel. It was great fun and not frustrating in the least. I am now working on a 1/4 scale motorcycle kit. Again, there is little thinking and it's moving along slowly but surely. 

Don't throw out Pickle just yet but do take a break with a couple of $25 models. 

And get better. 

Best Regards, 

Rick 

Ha. Well, you did mention "plastic airplanes" in your post. I thought you had actually gone that far.

I'm sure I'll be back at my Pickle eventually but it is kind of nice to see things advance easily. Also, I really think my eyes are getting worse. The large scales are fun to deal with and my hands tell me that the larger surfaces are clean and smooth. 

R

Ahoy Spy -- I'm sorry to hear about your Admiral.  Best wishes to her, and I hope your back mends.

My own Fly might be in a fair competition with your Pickle over which is going more slowly.  I've been working on the head now for over 5 months, and have done little more than waste lots of wood.

All the best,

Martin

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Admiral is bearing up under Chemo at the moment - going to be a long haul,.

My spine op has been a complete success but I had another TIA so cant drive for a few weeks - what else is there to do but build ! Distraction therapy and i hope pleasant divertisement.

Just noticed it is nearly four years since I started this " quick little build"!!

So there she sits - still

IMG_1273.thumb.JPG.1aae783d16e95b6d8beae8548bd07f72.JPG

all ready for second planking 

I may still plank in lovely boxwood if i can find sufficent lengths of usable stuff without chips - otherwise i have a large stock of more standard stuff.

But before that I thought I would work in slowly with a few of the deck fitting which are nicely presented - I like the hatch "ironwork" etc. So Carronades deck house and winch.

The carronades are teeny and present an unusual challenge so I thought to start on those - must do some research and look at other builds - I dont like the concept of unused carronade deck blocks at every port  - 16 - with only 6 actually mounted.

And looking at some other logs I see a couple of nice presentations with "planking" on the sides of the companion way which seem attractive

I started again - in true Spyglass fashion - I couldnt find the esssential bits!!

After two hours searching - I remembered - this build is TINY.

Going through every box again looking for what appeared  to be bits of swarf paid dividends !

I have all the bits for the carronades and the deck furniture

IMG_1276.thumb.JPG.e51b0cb504003014a133f55589df8c88.JPG

ridiculously small  - thats .5mm wire and the bits on it still have the sprue attached and those 3.7mm things below (also still attached to the sprue) are TRUNNIONS!!!!!

All stuck to tape  in case there is a draught ! So onwards.

Quick query to any other Pickle builders - my trunnions are blind holed each side , I cant see why they are not drilled through .

The appearance would be the same and a LOT easier to assemble. I am going to drill through - or am I missing something

Looks like they were just using short drills on the trunnions!.

Picked out my cache of "premade" gratings left over from from several builds just need trimmimg to size.

Came across the usual kit supplier grating boobs - the sizes they give do not match the grating pitch and for any sort of realism you need the edges of the gratings to be a bar - not a row of spikey bits!! But the build pictures show more sense than the dimensions so i am following those:-

The pictures show  - fore 6 holes by 6 holes - ie 7strips by 7, the other two are 3 holes by 4 holes  ie 4 strips by 5  - though in different orientations Those look right  - strips and spacings are 1mm nominal so gratings will be around 13 x 13mm and 7 x 9mm.

I dont like the "cargo hold" covering for the main hatch so i will make that a grating too  -13 holes by 8 - 27mm by 17mm

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.8a24103cbc2cdc29414c9fe931e2eda8.JPG

Surround will be with a single half depth lap join like the one here - found my jig for that !

And that pencil or one like it is going to magically transform into the windlass barrel - I really dont like the assembly kit for this but will insert the pawls .

I made  quite good progress to re-starting the build - did a few odds and sods with deck fittings and didnt cut myself - much. 

But found that really i couldnt make much progress on deck fittings - till I had a deck !. 

Then got down to basics - reassemble the kit and substitute the wood where I wished.

But of course being me I had to have a problem - I had a huge clear out of all my spare  bits and pieces and I have this sneaking suspicion that.....

I have lots and lots of wood to choose from in the stock box and supplied by Crown so no problem there.

I have a big stock of nice blocks  etc from  Chuck and others so it wasnt too much of a problem that I cant find the blocks from the kit.

The grating strips have just disappeared into my huge general stock of these

Oh do seem to be missing the white metal anchor WM cleats but i cant quite envisage what they look like - anybody got a picture  - I did throw some which looked far oversize so maybe..

And I did throw away all the rigging thread but I dont need that yet !!

Four years and I am still looking for bits!!

1465739491_IMG_34231.thumb.JPG.4776863f6f51687df488dfc8e1c54905.JPG

But wood dust is  being created and i hope in a week to have some progress pictures to show.

The Admirals chemo seem to be working but she has an op and radio still to come but we live in hope  .

Sorry for your health troubles Steve, hope things pick up for both yourself and your 'Admiral'.

Re your question about the Carronade trunnions; 

There is only one partly drilled hole required to take the spigot for the underside  trunnion set up which is particular for the carronades of the period.

Regards,

B.E.

Hi Spy

I'm very sorry to hear about the health problems in your family and I wish you both a speedy and complete recovery. And yes, age can be a bitch - truly, ageing is not for the faint hearted.

Perhaps a few pictures in my Pickle build log could help with your anchor problem You could try #279 or #295. If this doesn't help, please tell me.

BTW my Pickle got a second identical anchor as well as 2 additional carronades to fulfil minimum requirements and to match several information sources in the clever books and the web.

Take care

Peter

Sorry mistyped my query on cleats - I have the Anchor ( which i was intending to replace ) but the cleats are what I cant find and do have a vague memory of chucking !  But thanks for your assistance.

Now I have looked where you indicated and can see the cleats - they are indeed the ones I threw as oversize.  Now can I make or find some slightly smaller ones ??!!

Oh for clarity my Admiral is in the depths of major cancer treatment which will last till the New Year  but there are good signs of success and every hope of a full recovery ,

As for me though - my Spine op was a total absolute success and the rest of my problems are just of age !!

Well cleaned out the rabbets and starte to trial bend some second planking strips..

First a success the "black wood" I had left over from Unicorn  and I have enough to do above the wale and probably the wale as well if I decided to that.

IMG_3425.thumb.jpg.f0586b3b3faef2d394f03fab17ae110a.jpg

But then rechecked my nice boxwood and it is quite markedy chipped along the edges - quite a bit of work to select enough useable length and may not be able to get enough full length strips. You can see the chips in the middle guide strip I put down some time ago. 

But the kit supplied walnut below that seems to be rubbish its like  cheap cardboard -  splinters badly and/or goes soft - at the same time !! Thats the lowest strip which was well soaked and was perfectly "soft" after soaking but splintered still  and this was my third try - I had lost two ends already.  I am not even sure this IS walnut as described.  Ah well tomorrow is another day - I do have other walnut in my wood box though it is 1.5mm stuff

Hi Spy

The same problem with the walnut bothered me with my Pickle kit (I think JoTiKa definitely should work on the quality of their wood). Finally I found that by lightly bending the strip to either side before soaking it you could usually see a good side and a bad one with a tendency to split. After soaking for 1 hour or so it was almost always possible to attach the strip without mishap. One or two had to come off again despite that but as I used white glue this could easily be handled.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for that Peter - BUT that WAS the good side!

The grain of the wood does not lie along the strip in a lot of the stock - thats just always going to cause trouble.

I think I have enough stock to cover the planking - if not its not that much to buy now - but why should I indeed.

I have alwaya found Jotika REALLY good about shortcomings in their offerings - I may drop them a line though the kit is about 4 years old by now !!

AND BACK AT THE BENCH AGAIN.

The Admiral's Chemo has finished with seemingly good results but she has the next phase - an op and radio, but hopefully the most distressing phase is over  - Lots of crossed fingers etc !

So  got down to it - decided the extensive use  of boxwood was going to need far to much fiddling with for this TINY build - perhaps the next one.

The kit walnut I gave up on too - and got a nice new lot in from Cornwall Models.

So its going to be boxwood above the wale - maybe  with a 2mm strip of "the unicorn black wood (UBW)"  just under the handrail.

The wale and black strake a combination of UBW 1x4mm and a nice strip of 2x4 cherry - painted black.

I found the cherry really nice to work with both cutting and bending - i shall remember that.

Bit of a mock up - cherry will be painted black of course

1196158566_IMG_13611.jpg.451139abc904d61fdf44d3243bce11c8.jpg

Was tempted to run the UBW further down under the wale and atempt a sort of "waterline transistion" to walnut but i am thinking that it will just not work very well so I will just go with walnut under the wale - I am not coppering.

But i intend to start planking up from the keel so when I get a reasonable amount on , I may review the "waterline" thought ifs I have enough UBW.

Hi Spyglass

I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to build your ship...as long as you enjoy it, don't be in a hurry. I built The Pickle a few years ago. I think I hurried it a bit, and it shows in places.

I wanted to add that I decided to use cherry on the second planking on my build of the Dos Amigos, instead of the very mediocre (IMO) kit supplied wood. I quite like how it turned out. Maybe you might consider this yourself. In hind site, I would have skipped copper plating the Pickle and just used a nice wood...cherry, swiss pear, boxwood etc.

Finally, I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

John

My wife sends her thanks to all site members who have sent messages of support over the past months - thank you chaps!

The problem here in the UK is the poor availabilityof "fancy" wood and the cost of getting it from abroad.

But is has been an eye opener to me as I got some stock sent from Crown and  experimented with it.

I have a reasonable amount of boxwood strip but the supply I  got has a lot of " chipping  along the edges and i at present the extra efort invoved in using it I dont feel inclined too. 

I wish I had more cherry really nice wood for building I may use it in places on this build but I dont have enough stock to plank in it.

I have a nice set of good holly ready for the deck and I am looking forward to maybe a touch of fancy deck planking - it shapes very well I find.

The swiss pear I have a little of and will use in places - this bends really well even quite thick strip.

I am still trying to find out what the black wood strip supplied with the Corel Unicorn is I suspect something dyed but the colour is very uniform throughout.

I dont mind at all the time it takes to build I like to say   "the hobby is BUILDING  not having finished models"

But this one is getting ridiculous - I think its my smallest and simplest build since I did Lilla Dan some 40 years ago and its been on the stocks for just over 4 years !!  For heavens sake  - had a reasonable build of my first Fly complete in 9 months .

You can get wood like Cherry, Box, etc in the UK. The problem is you have to go to the wood turning / carving suppliers and convert their blanks into planks yourself, which requires having the necessary tooling. Many years ago my local wood turning shop closed down and I picked up enough blanks to last me a very long time for less than £1 each. Problem now is my bandsaw is broken and I cannot justify the expense of a new one. recently I cut up a 12" x 2" x 2" blank on my proxon table saw, but it was not easy (dangerous even). and that was one of the smallest blanks I have.

Glenn

Ah yes the woods are available but not cut into nice size strips !

Its so noticeable that  other countries the US in particular go for all these lovely saws and other things I suspect it  is a function of space for work shops.  Glenn I notice you have Snake down for a build _ I  built a combination Snake/Cruiser - I wanted three masts but not other features but Caldercraft supplied the approriate decks etc to swop at a very moderate charge - nice people .

Neve mind I think I have all my wood sorted now!

Hi SpyGlass,

Have a look at this website. massiv-holz-werkstatt.de  He has a large selection of wood at very good prices both strip and plank in 1 metre lengths. The planks are 100mm wide but he can supply wider if required. I had all the pearwood for my Cheerful build from him,good quality. 

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Spyglass, I have today been reading you log and the problems with

sourcing good reliable wood for a good build. 

I am not in trade or looking to make any money but I do have a quantity of

appropriate model shipbuilding woods - Cherry, Box, Pear, Apple.

This is the result of collecting timber over the last 35 years, and really it now will 

exceed expected usage for my planned models.

I would be happy to mill (as they say) some Cherry or whatever to you size that may help you

get going a bit easier, I mean chipped edge Box is just not on.

I have been in a similar situation you yourself and do appreciate, 

the problems involved. I have only re-started hobby work after 

what has been over 3 years.

If you are interested perhaps you could PM me with some idea of the dimensions

of the wood you are after and the quantity. 

I need perhaps a couple of weeks to get going, but I do have a decent saw and can

dimension to a reasonable accuracy using the drum thicknesser.

I would be happy to post you a small sample of the woods I have, I mean there is

a difference between the mellow colour of the heartwood and the light colour of the

sapwood. This is particularly true of Cherry.   Regards, Nick

Regards, Nick

Hey thank you for that Nick. 

I suspect you may have the possibilities of many UK takers !!

But because of my wifes illness I think I will stick with the wood I have for the present and just get on to finish this build in the gaps betweeen treatments.

But next year when we hope to have all  the operations and radiotherapy out of the way I would like to start a better quality build with the nicer woods.

So I may chase you then !!

Thank you so much for your generous offer though

And Davy boy - thank you too for your interest though I think 100m width still leaves me with the problem of  getting down to  normal strip . But again I think I will stick with where I am for practical reasons

Hi Spyglass, yes so when you have cleared some of your problems,

do feel free to contact me.

I am not really interested in supplying wood 'wholesale' but I think you

are 'just down the road' and I know that getting decent wood to the sizes

you want is difficult. 

I so wish your wife and yourself the best for the future, king regards, Nick

Well starting to move along a bit.

Cleaned up my rabbets a bit and did some trial strip placing. Dont think I need any more work on the first planking - all seems to run fair.

Tried my trial wood/colour scheme - Castello  box over Unicorn black over painted black Swiss Pear Wale over walnut.

The box looks a bit light maybe but much of it will be cut way for gunports. I am going to bring the black strake up about 2mm to the bottom of the gun ports and add another black strip to it -  so the wale will drop by about 2mm which seems fine to me. ( Need to watch channel positioning though !)IMG_1376.JPG.661a2332d86fc3a09d1ed246f8d2c7bb.JPG

Anyway thats that settled and I am starting on the actual planking.

Roughed out a trial garboard - that works well - there is a pronounced turn point on the stem which gives an ideal position for the fore end of the garboard. Then went to line up for banding and got a surprise - all the  depths (apart from my first position) match to a mm so not much strip shaping needed . I will just take the strip  down to about 2/3rds width  over the forrad 100mm or so which more or less matches the first planking

I was expecting to have to fit a set of spiles to represent deadwood - that wont be needed.  nust a few to adjust for the turn in to vertical at the stern.

Went back and remeasured to be sure  -quite surprising given the shape of the hull but will really simplify it.  But when I looked at the first planking which I did so very long ago I should have remembered.IMG_1378.thumb.JPG.936ed5cd1b42e046c3465dd0eccf274b.JPG

Just a note - as I do usually -you can see that I have the stern post temporarily fixed with dowels (1mm drill bits)