Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

Good lord......has the business community completely forgotten what it means to be a professionally run organization?  I must have spent 40 years in Camelot.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well, for what it's worth: I run two businesses, both quite small.  After interviewing perhaps 30 people and making a very difficult choice, I have planned to call them all but found it so difficult I have let it slide.  Human weakness. Hate to say 'no'.

That said, these are one - three person operations.  A large organization will have a policy in place and tell their HR people what to do.

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Gentlemen:

Thank you for the support and kind remarks!  I am so thankful to have the kind of support on here that is very welcome  and appreciated by me in times like this!  :)  Understanding the world of HR and hiring politics is like trying to know the inner workings of the Illuminati!  lol!  But I understand the legal issues (EEOC, discrimination, etc.).  Still, I'm trying to be positive and focused while keeping my goals in mind, which runs in parallel with my approach to my build.  :)  (True, both can at times be equally stressful, but I doubt that I'd go back to my job search or work to get a break from my build!  haha!!)

Still, I'm focusing on what really matters at this time, and when I get a chance or need to chill out, that's where this build plays a big role (or getting the house fixed up and ready to move).

Regarding the build, I almost have the rudder fully installed (few more nails/rivets), and after that I'll fab the tiller bar and associated rigging.  I also have to make the capstan bars and have them stowed along the aft bulwarks.  :)  I'm trying to get as much of the small, inaccessible stuff as possible in place before rigging the guns and adding the deck structures.  After all of that's done, it'll be onto shaping the masts and bowsprit, then the fun really begins!  :)

Hi Rich,

Just thought I would drop you a short note to let you know I'm still thinking about you in your hunt for employment and still keeping my fingers crossed, plus I have an idea for your consideration. Most in-person interviews I've participated in eventually get around to asking what do you do for leisure, hobbies etc. Have you considered carrying photos or digital photos of your ship in varius stages of construction? In my opinion it shows a lot of positive attributes about the builder; patience, technical skills, craftsmanship, passion, research capabilities, dedication, etc.. While some of the above may not be directly related to the technical aspects of your line of work, it certainly says a lot about you as a person.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry- thanks!!!  Yes, I have thought about bringing up my hobby (or insanity, as we on the inside call it), and I do have the pics of my build on my phone (blackberry takes FAR better pictures than the PowerShot).  I've showed some of the cannons dry-rigged to a few coworkers before, and they were very impressed, so hopefully it would be a slick little show-n-tell with potential employers (which would be professional engineers btw) to demonstrate my long-term dedication, patience, attention to detail, and willingness to learn and keep the mind sharp.  ;)  Also, one could demonstrate their creativity and problem-solving skills, in addition to showcasing the logic and reasoning necessary for both short-term goals (a plank or stropping a block), and long-term strategic goals (finish the hull, complete the rigging).  Lots of info about a person's skills and talents can be gleaned from a build.

As for the build, I did manage to finish installing the rudder (minus the chains and tiller) the other day, and today I made the horse for the boom sheet/double-block, and made the capstan handles.  Tomorrow I plan on having these items installed.

Hunt-wise, I still have one strong lead, but the recruiter has been busy travelling and getting additional req's open for the company, so it's a little difficult to get in touch, and nothing yet on the others...  hanging in there still and exploring my options!!  :)

Ok- strong lead was a no.  I was a really strong candidate (95% what they needed), but lacked some design experience they required...  grr..  but they'll keep me at the top of the list in case something similar opens up.  Still no activity- working with a recruiter and searching around myself.  Thinking of trying to teach myself some of the design software (looking for free downloads, tutorials, etc.)...

Regarding the build, in the evenings I was able to install the breech lines on all of the carronades (was able to do about 5-7 a night before bed, which is a lot faster than I thought, once I got my rhythm).  So next up is going to be finishing the rest of the tackle and figuring out the exact placement of the guns & tackle and installing them!!  :)  I still have to assemble the long guns and make their tackle.

After that, its on to the deck structures, then channels & chainplates (that'll be interesting, especially from the "stories" I've read about making them!  lol!).

Now, if I only had as much progress in the job hunt (despite my efforts and time) as I have with my build (which has only amounted to maybe 2-4 hours a week), I'd be in fantastic shape!!!!  ;)

[Hrm... less time = more progress... by that logic I should stop looking for work and I'll miraculously be employed, right?!?  Same thing for winning the lottery! lmao!!]

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear the strong lead did not work out (yet). It will happen and you'll have a strong career ahead of you. I was going to inquie about pictures but I have faith someone else will speak up... ;)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Lol- thanks Larry!  Yes, I'll get some pictures up soon (maybe after I get a few guns installed and rigged)- sounds like Sjors!  lol  ;)

But for now, my Niagara is my quiet, re-centering man cave that I will retreat to in the late evenings before bed.  It's good to let the mind go, relax, and forget about the day's inactivity/lack of calls, and try to re-strategize for the next day.  Only by a strategically-focused plan will I succeed!  (This is chess, not checkers or tic-tac-toe.)

Fingers working nimbly with rigging and some wood can do wonders for the mind and clarity of thought.  :)

You're right about that Rich.  Keep the faith!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Rich if I were a betting man I would put my money on it that in due time you will find an employment opportunity that will fit you and your skills, but beyond any of my predictions your attitude through all of this has been self controlled and positive. If there is anything that shows true character is keeping your head up when things are not going as planned. You have qualities that are very rare. Thanks for sharing.

Brian

Oh and since Larry is not going to inquire about pictures maybe I will...

Brian,  Thank you for awesome compliment!  Sure, it's hard as h#ll out there to keep positive and upbeat, and there's a lot of competition and things working against us, but focusing on the positive and staying strong creates the energy that will help manifest the desired outcome (focusing on the negative will only bring bad results and failure).  

To quote Tony Robbins, "energy flows where the mind goes."  Think, feel, be, and exist in a positive state, and awesome things will happen.  :)

Btw, I HIGHLY recommend going to one of his events- very life-changing and self-empowering!

As for pictures, maybe in the next few days (have to grill veggies for a neighborhood bbq tonight, and actually get some work done on the guns first!)

You guys rock!!!   :cheers:

Rich,

Pictures when you can... bbq always comes first. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lol- no shrimp on the barby~  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to grill, but we'll be doing it tomorrow instead...  good thing it was delayed, since the grill ran out of gas this evening while making some bbq ribs!  So grilled veggies tomorrow!!  :)

Not much activity on the build the past few days- tonight I am installing the mooring cleats and prepping the guns (checking the alignment, etc.).  Once they're in I'll get some pics up before they're fully rigged.

But, in between job searching and the build, I'm trying to keep my skills sharp by teaching myself some new things (radar and more satcom stuff) and refreshing stuff I learned in college- to help broaden my possibilities.  :)  (Btw, there's a goldmine of courses from MIT that are free to download, complete with videos, notes, tests, and problem sets!)

So keeping busy and pressing ahead!!!

Ok...  finally had the grilled veggies and various enchiladas with the neighbors.   :)

Now, for some PICTURE UPDATES!!!!!  yaaayy!!

Here's what I've been up to lately:

post-1342-0-49124000-1372315199_thumb.jpg

Breech lines are installed on the guns and they're ready for installation.  Also, I made the remaining pigtails for the gun tackle.  All cleats and mooring cleats are installed on the hull and bulwarks.  A couple of weeks ago I installed the rudder (minus rigging).

This is what I accomplished this evening:

post-1342-0-97069200-1372315161_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-78333300-1372315138_thumb.jpg

Finally, a closeup (I think I may go with just the breech and train tackle, because it's rather crowded with the upper carriage side tackle):

post-1342-0-37162500-1372315178_thumb.jpg

Also, I hope I didn't make the breech lines too short- they're very springy and it doesn't look like there's too much extra slack (made each one about 4 inches from ring to ring).

Maybe tomorrow evening after job hunting I'll try to have at least one gun fully figured out and rigged properly, and if it's acceptable I'll move on to the rest.

Hi Rich

I went back and had a look at the plans. they say bright which means no paint ?

But I like your idea better. On my first Niagara I painted them black but buff to add a

little colour contrast is  much better

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Correct- bright means no paint (usually for woods only, since metals get painted somehow).  I like the color scheme on the kit, but I just wish my painting skills were a tad better (and getting used to the consistency of the paints).

But next kit will probably be just stained and minor painting (similar to the Syren- I LOVE how that looks).

Your baby is growing teeth. :)

Nice looking deck, by the way.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking good Rich.  I wish I were that far along.

Joseph Osborne

Carlisle, PA USA

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Rich, she's looking good. Your photo's entice me to start on the guns. I bet they would be a good mini project and nice change of pace.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'm with you in regard to the next kit I buy. Stained wood, very little paint...  I'm working up the courage to buy Coral's Wappen Von Hamburg when I see it for a good price.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Guys- thanks for checking in!  Yeah, even though she's been in the making for a long, long time, I truly appreciate the compliments since she's my first.  Learned a LOT thus far, and TONS more to learn still!  ;)

Larry- that's exactly what I did.  To get out of the planking/wood monotony that never seemed to end, I started the guns (carriages, hardware, rigging, etc.).  Not only was it a nice change of pace, but once the deck was laid and some eyebolts and cleats were installed, the guns were ready for immediate installation.  I figure it'll take me about a week or so to get them all rigged and set, after which I'll install the pinrails and begin work on the deck structures, bilge, etc., then it's the channels and chain plates.  :)

The WVH would be a gorgeous, ambitious build- that'd be a fantastic piece for one's collection!   I think I'll stick with the Syren for my next one- another 2 masts to really get my skills in place before trying a 3-masted one (Fly, Surprise, maybe a Conny).

Nevertheless, I doubt I could handle more than one build at a time- it'd be a logistical nightmare considering time and space constraints (and the "pet issue")...  lol

Well, it's back to the hunt today and the gym this afternoon (could finish the yard work, but not with it hitting 101 today and 104 tomorrow!)

Rich

I have just gone back and had a look at the pictures above.

The plans ( no 4 ) show the sliding base at the inboard end of the base

Yours seem to be much further forward than that?

Or have you just done one that way ?

What do you think

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Ken, 

Right now the top slides are all over the place due to the springiness of the breech lines (when I try to push them into firing position, they spring back inboard).  But what I want to do is have the guns run out for firing, with the right amount of slack in the breech lines. 

In order to get the correct length for slack, the plans say to pull the guns inboard for loading, and measure the necessary length of breech line for that.  I'm just not sure as to how far inboard the guns are pulled (farther inboard = longer line = more slack when in firing position).  I'm not sure if the rear edge of the upper slide is even with the rear edge of the lower carriage (which is how I set my line lengths), or if it pulls back even further than that...

Also, when I have the guns run out for firing, I'm trying to set them so that the front edge of the upper slide is almost on top of the little alignment pin that the carriage mounts to.

Another thing I noticed is that my guns seem a little too high- they're almost touching the top of the gun ports.  I'll try filing down the bottom side of the gun support block (cast piece that the barrel sits on).  I know my gun port heights are correct- checked against the plans, measured and re-measured.

So a little more fiddling, adjusting, and experimenting with breech lines until I take the plunge and install the suckers...

RIch Wow, I am so glad to "see" some of the great work you are doing, the cannons look so time consuming but so very worth it.  I think that when I get to the cannons (and the rigging) I know that I will be so lost, so keep notes so I can follow  :) .   As for the height of the cannons I remember reading in another log (for a totally different boat) that the scale of the cannons was a little bit off, so mounting the cannons had to be adjusted in one way or another but in the end I have no doubt that you will do a fantastic job.

Brian 

The guns were intimidating at first, but once I stepped back and broke down the assembly into manageable parts, it wasn't too bad.  I'll get some pics of a complete gun before I install them on deck, so you can see that the majority of the work is done off the ship.  :)  And I usually do things in batches too- like paint all of the carriages and parts, install the eyebolts & rings, and breech plates, etc...  it goes rather quickly and easily once you get into a rhythm.  :)

I'll show you what I mean if/when I decide to redo the breech lines and make them a bit longer.

Rich,

I had a similar problem concerning the height of the guns.  I found it was best to thin the bases to lower the height of the guns.  If you have not glued on the wheels you can sand off a little on both bases.  Also as a thought, I set my guns as rigged for sailing.  this allowed more room for the blocks.  By not crowding the blocks and rigging the set up looked more to scale.  Lastly, if you are going to set the guns as run out for firing, you should not worry about the length of the breech line too much (IMHO).  Remember that theheavy breach lines have a lot of weight for gravity to pull them down while the thread we use for modeling will not act the same way.  You could try coating the breach lines with a dilution of water and white glue to hold them in place.  Just some ideas.  :)  :)

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?