Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

Wow Rich, glad everything is ok.  Amazing how crazy things have gotten....and people wonder why I always carry heat....never know these days.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I consider carrying a gun the same as wearing a seatbelt. You do not put on a seatbelt because you know your getting into a wreck. You hope you will not need it, but you cannot predict when you will.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry and John- I feel the same way about personal protection and today's unfortunate state of things.  Unfortunately I don't own any firearms (yet)- definitely once I get back to work.  But at least I'm rather knowledgeable and comfortable with a gun, and an ok shot for having gone to the range only 3 times in my life (roughly fist-sized groups or so at 20-25ft with a Glock).  

Yeah, today it's insane out there, and now with the DC Navy Yard thing (I used to go to a club by there when I lived near DC), along with all of the others (which personally I think smell as funny as a rotten herring), you can't be too careful and trusting people is getting hard to do.

If only Homey the Clown were here to whack everyone with his sock (Homey don't play that!).....  knock some sense and morals into people before all goes to poo-poo~~~

Small build update:  instead of putting the caprail on and doing those details (catheads, stairs, etc.) or finishing the ship's bell,  I decided to start with making the channels after going to the zoo since it was a nice day out.

I first had to laminate two 1/4" x 1/16 boards together to get the thickness I needed for the proper taper.  Then used the dremel and sanded down the taper.  Next up is figuring out the curves so they'll fit the hull and have the correct shape.

I may hold off on installing them until I add the caprail.  

But I wonder if I should have the bowsprit done first before adding the caprail (tricky to install with all of the cleats & fittings)....?

Btw, still waiting for the final word on the job....  grr~~~ 

My fingers are getting stiff from being crossed :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

post-76-0-35444100-1379882959.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fingers still crossed here also... We're hanging in there with you Rich.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks guys- trying to be patient, whether it's a yes or no...  but still looking just in case.

Yesterday I was able to make the channels- did some edge-wise steam bending (very slight), and they look ok.  Next up is to cut out the notches for the chainplates/deadeyes.  I also blackened the lower straps and bolts (heads of some straight pins) for the rest of the chainplates.  

Think I might just dive in and put the cap rail on, add the channels (but not attach the lower chainplates to the hull), make the ladders, and then think about how to do the hammock rails.  :)

Are you considering 'pinning' the channels to the hull for extra strength??

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie- good point.  I haven't thought of that yet, but may consider it.  They may not need it, due to being supported on top by the cap rail, and on the bottom from the tension in the chain plates, but pinning may add a little extra support.  

Although, pinning might be rather tricky since mine are actually two planks laminated together, and trying to drill pin holes might split the wood....

Worthwhile if you can do it !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sam- in order to get the correct 5/64 thickness at the inside edge (as called out in the plans), I laminated two 1/16 thick boards together, then sanded & tapered one side to get the correct thicknesses.  The pins would need to be super-thin wire, which I doubt would add much additional strength.  

But yesterday I was able to paint and install the cap rail, and painted the channels.  Today I'll attach my deadeyes/chainplates, the outer cover strip, then attach the channels to the hull.

After that, it'll be making all of the stairs, ladders, and installing all of the eyebolts, etc. on the outside of the hull.

I think I'll just stick with attaching them to the sides as they are- no pins or mortise.  They'll be flush up against the top rail, so hopefully that'll hold them there once the shrouds and backstays are rigged, with the additional tension of the chainplates.  

But the chainplates won't get attached until I have the masts stepped and angles/rake of the shrouds figured out.  So for now they'll just dangle like earrings~~~

Hi Rich,

It sounds like your making great progress!

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Lol- Sam, I have 2 cats (and 3 dogs).  The one cat (see "How to Keep Pets off your Build") has been up on my bench a few times, but luckily hasn't gone near the actual ship in a few years.  :)

Larry- good to see you back!  Sorry that the legs are numb and you're not fully out of the woods yet.  Hang in there- we're all pulling for you too!!!!!  :)

Progress has been little here and there, and I'll probably have the channels 100% ready for installation over the weekend (pics to follow).  

Yesterday evening I was able to attach the foremast's channels directly to the hull (no pins, etc.), and made the little sea steps that go down the side of the hull.  I'll try to have those attached then painted today (before attaching the main mast's channels).  Then, I'll install the eyebolts and other odds-n-ends that go on the outer hull.  

I am hoping to hear something on the job this week (according to an email from HR on Friday).  I think the delays have to do with a combination of background check and the whole gov't shutdown/spending bills....  grr~~~  That's one thing that makes being a gov't contractor weird- projects/funding are all politically related...  oh well- at least it would be a job, which is better than nothing!  :)

(Btw, my office would be in Dahlgren, but I'd probably go to Norfolk and San Diego for testing and the actual work.)  :)  So we'll see- waiting anxiously!!!

Two exciting fronts moving forward - nice!

The ship looks terrific - and really wishing you luck on the job!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Yesterday I realized that before attaching the main mast's channels, the quarter davits need to be made first.  So that's what I'm working on at the moment...  oops~~  :)

Today started off crappy, due to the coffee maker not working!!!  So I just went to Starbucks after my jury duty (luckily no jurors were needed at all today), and tonight I'll go spend some $$ for a new coffee maker~~  grr~~  (course, it's definitely a work horse in my house!)

What design did you use for making your rope. One of the rope walk manuals from here, Or have you made your own?

The drill idea is a great one!

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

I used the ropewalk from Model Expo- it has instructions for its use.  I basically used the line that came with the kit and turned my own following the instructions (after several practice runs to get a feel for it).  The drill definitely helps it go a lot faster.

But I'm thinking of switching to some cotton thread for making the rest of the rigging (shrouds, lanyards, most standing rigging), since I'm not too excited on the look and feel of the synthetic stuff that came with the kit.  But that'll be a ways down the road.

Yes, I did take it apart and stuck my DMM to it- I think it's the relay switch, but I have no idea where to get the part and how much...  so I just got a new one for $30.  If I could have found the switch (and waited for it to arrive, since I doubt I'd be able to find one locally), I would have fixed it myself.  I might fix it anyway in the future so we have a spare (like for when family visits- we can drink a few gallons of coffee a day).  :)

Heck, I don't think I've seen a Radio Shack in town (assuming they have the specific type of relay I need)...  so onto Digikey, etc...

But my MAIN concern at the moment is of course waiting to hear positive news about the job.  But I think the delays (even HR is wondering why so long, according to her updates) have to do with all of the gov't stuff and the shutdown.  I wonder if the company's people have been furloughed, since they are basically contractors doing work for the military, so who knows....  Still trying to find stuff to apply to (related stuff is coming up scarce lately) and hoping to hear from someone, anyone at this point...

So back to hunting today- maybe get some building done this weekend or something (finish the quarter davits and then work on catheads, etc.  Might use some small staples for the hammock rails, but we'll see...)

Digikey, Mouser, and Newark are my go-to's when I need a part.  I usually do a sample request...  But yes, a $30 coffee maker is not worth the time and the effort (unless it's fun)! (Kinda like ship building!?)

Keep up the good spirit;  my best friend just went through the process of finding a job (after a layoff from a 13 year career) and I did so in 2010.

I really hope you get this job;  what's the market looking like for embedded system design?

I see postings all over the place for embedded systems & designers (and application verification, whatever that is), but I have no idea what the hiring market is like (don't know anything about that area).

I'm just in a weird spot, since I'm an RF/SATCOM/antenna  engr, but with zero design experience (and certainly no software/programming- hated taking Java in school).  So I'm a cross between technician and project engineer, but w/o the management certs...  I can manage it, build and test it, but can't design it.  lol~

I agree with Sam..

By nature engineers are designers,  it goes hand in hand.  And especially RF is the cream of the crop in electrical engineering...  We used to call the RF dudes "Witch doctors" in school;  A 43% , with the curve, in electromagnetic field theory earned one an A at the university I attended.

Software can be a big pain in the a** for hardware guys;  I had a boss ask me if I had experience with C programming;  upon saying "no" he plopped down a textbook on my desk and said "Well, now you will" and I learned it in 8 hours for a project the next day....

Yeah, I see your point(s).  But regarding "design experience", they want to see so many years (5-7 yrs) of it and what you did design, how good are you with the software, etc. I've been asked that during phone interviews, and I answer honestly, and also offer that I am willing to learn it, but they need someone who already knows it.  And while looking for project engineer/manager positions, most require PMP certification, which takes a couple of years.  

Really, I'm just in a weird middle/grey area.  I've even tried some entry-level ones, but no response on those (probably too qualified in some areas)....  So, trying to think how to broaden the net and really stretch what's relevant.  I'm even looking into the oil&gas industry here in TX, but again no experience there.  And going back to school is out of the question, since I need $$$$ now to pay the bills, not additional debt.

But still pressing forward and digging around.  Something has to come up soon!  :)