Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

David,

Thanks for the info!!  Yeah, I kind of thought about sanding down the carriages a little, but then I figured I can trim down the trunnions quite a bit (they seem too tall, like the barrels are stacked on top of a pyramid).  Plus, I already installed the lower carriages!  oops~~

So filing/sanding the trunnions is going to be my approach- we'll see how it turns out.

As for the breech lengths, that is true that I can get some additional (but not much) slack if I pull them down and coat them with glue.  

Also, I noticed the issue with the  the side tackle blocks getting too crowded when the guns are run out- this is due to: 1- size of the blocks themselves, 2- length of seizings, and 3- length/size of hooks.  Right now (other than redoing all of the tackle) I can decrease the size of the hooks (see a few pages back for my stropping technique).  Luckily this problem doesn't surface on the train tackle (attached to the lower carriage).

Hrmm...  may have to play some more and see what looks best- guns in or out...  I like the look of them run out (adds depth to the ship when viewing the side, etc.), but I also want a "clean" deck (enough detail to add realism but not crowded and clunky)...  [A weird and awkward compromise would be to have one side run out and the other in, but let's not go there....]

Maybe as I ponder this, I can start working on the deck structures...  :)

Ok...  quickie:  over the past hour I was able to lower the height of the guns by roughly 1/16" by sanding down the bottom of the trunnions.  Now, instead of the barrels being slammed into the stringer at the top, they're sitting a bit lower- roughly in the top 3rd portion of the ports.  :)

Still deciding on IN or OUT??!!?????

Sounds like a well spent hour, indeed.  In/out, up/down ...... make them all the same!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Rich

A question regarding the rings.

Those attached to the gun carriages , the deck and the bulwarks.

Did you use supplied rings or make your own and if so how?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Ken,

I used some small black craft wire (0.016" or so) to make the rings (there are no where near enough as supplied in the kit).  I basically used some old straightened metal chicken wire (#16 and #18 gauge I think) as a dowel, then just wrapped the craft wire tightly around the dowel several times.  Then just use some nippers to cut the rings off- quick and easy (can make a few hundred an hour this way).  Only thing is that the wire is painted copper, so they have a bit of a gloss finish to them.

You can make rings of various sizes this way- just need a different size dowel or drill bit (anything of the required size, but I'd recommend staying away from wood since it'll grab the wire and the rings won't come off as easily).  

But the trick is to wrap them very tight, with no space in between each wrap- that way they'll all be uniform.  :)

Thanks Rich

Two more questions.

What is the diameter of each ring ( in mm please) and did you then

open up the ring to fit it into the eyebolt and close it again ?

Thanks

ken

No problem.

1.  The diameter of the rings on the guns is about 3.2mm (1/8 inch)- similar to the large size ones in the kit (the smaller ones are about 2.4mm).

2.  That is correct- open the ring up a little to pass through the eyebolt, then close (I used CA since my soldering skills aren't that great).  Be careful not to get any glue on the eyebolts, since the ring needs to move freely when it's rigged.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks Rich

It helps a lot.

In the meantime I had a look at Modellers Shipyard in Sydney.

They sell packets of 100 in sizes 2  3  4  5  6  8  10  12mm for around $5.00 per packet :)

I need to use a size that is small enough to fit through the eyebolt and then big enough to leave space for the various

lines to fit through

Regards

Ken

Ken,

In looking at the price, it may be a LOT cheaper to make your own- a $5 spool of small craft wire can make thousands of rings.  Also, you have more flexibility in making your own (different sizes of dowels/drill bits, and quantities, as well as finish/color- black, brass, copper, etc.,depending on the wire you use).  Either way, they turn out basically the same.  Even time-wise, it's probably faster (make a 100+ an hour, versus waiting for shipping, or a drive down to the hobby store and back)...

Just my thoughts though...  I, however, may need to buy more eyebolts (or figure out how to mass-produce my own)...  hrm~~

But either way, make your own or buy them- you WILL need more for the rest of the ship!  

Good Luck!

Hi Rich

I have got enough 3mm rings with the kit to get started with.

I have tested them with the thickest cord I am likely to use.

They are easily big enough.

So I am going to use the rings I have and then order a pack of 100 when needed

Thanks for your help

Ken

Sounds like a plan!  (As an fyi, I used 100 of the 3mm rings for the guns alone:  5 per gun (one for each end of the breech line that mounts @ the bulwarks, one on each side of the upper carriage slide, and one on the deck behind the gun) x 20 = 100).

In addition to the rings, I may have to either make my own eyebolts or buy some- oh well...  that's much further down the road for me!

Today after cleaning, taking care of 9 dogs for the neighbors, laundry, groceries, and hitting the gym, I may try to get a gun or two fully installed.  

As for IN/OUT, I think I have decided on OUT, since I'm not putting the side tackle on (just the train tackle on the lower carriage, which is fixed), and I'll just have to play with the slack in the breech lines to get them to sit properly.  Pics maybe late this evening or tomorrow (after job hunt of course)!  :)

Ken and Rich.  Just a  thought.  I am now doing some rigging and am finding that there is a huge need for more rings to act as thimbles for rigging. (look at the details on plans 5, 6 and 7.  In any case, I would make the rings from wire for the guns and save the kit tings for the thimbles (if I were to do it again).  Just something to think about.

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

It sounds like the guns by themselves are a major project. I shooting ( :D ) for guns out also.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi David

Thanks for the forewarning

As I mentioned earlier I can buy various sizes of rings and eyebolts from Modellers Shipyard

quite cheaply. So that is what I will do if needed.

Regards

Ken

David,

Yes, I totally agree with you there!  I haven't checked that far ahead in the plans yet, but that's sort of what I have "planned."  I made a ton of rings for the guns and various other hardware/deck fittings, and I haven't touched the ones in the kit yet.  ;)  But that is good to know- I'll check out the plans.

Larry,

Yes, the guns are a sizable project in and of themselves, due to the numerous parts required and amount of detail (which is up to one's preference and skill level of course), and the fact that there are 18 of the carronades and two long guns (which I haven't even started yet!).  Wood, cast metal, eyebolts and rings, rope and blocks, and some paint...  times twenty...  (The rigging alone takes quite a bit of rope, and more so if you turn your own on a ropewalk- a few pages back I enumerated how much of the breech lines and gun tackle rope I needed to make, somewhere around 6-10 feet of breech line and about 60 feet of turned rope for the tackle lines!)

But again, I stress the importance of the assembly line and doing things in batches/stages!!!  This serves a few purposes:

1.  Breaks the whole process down into manageable parts/sub-assemblies that don't take too long or are too difficult by themselves.

2.  Since one step at a time is being done on all the guns (or any part of the build that has multiples), it ensures that the quality is the same and things turn out the same.

3.  Repeating the same step in a row helps with practice and reinforces the hand-eye coordination and muscle memory and thus builds confidence.

4.  It ensures that no detail or step was missed on one of the units/guns (like missing an eyebolt or something on one of them).

Bonus:  Once you've gone through all of the individual steps, you look at your desk and there's twenty completed guns lined up and sitting there, ready for installation!!!  :)

That's my take on it anyway, and it has definitely made this whole adventure less intimidating!  And, just like in chess, I'm getting to the point where I can start seeing a few steps ahead, so I can plan for the future and really see the importance of what I do now and how it affects things later on!  :)  

Anyway, enough "zen" for tonight- it's almost 2am (been up since 7am and a loooong busy day), and back to the job hunt tomorrow!  ;)

Ok...  got the fence fixed just before the severe thunderstorms hit.  The radar showed we weren't just in the green, yellow, orange, or red, but the BLACK!  Yes, our front yard and entire street are a flowing river!  Luckily we're on top of a slight hill, so don't have to really worry about flooding.  :)  Good, because we need the rain!!!

So I'll just hit the ship for a bit instead~~  :)

Ok...  haven't updated in a while... 

Unfortunately, I haven't been in the shop in over a week, due to fixing some flower beds and redoing the front walkway (prepping the house for sale when that day comes).  So, instead of installing gun tackle, I've been digging, leveling, and installing flagstone, brick, and slate...  in 95 degrees...  but luckily it's about 80% done, so we plan on having this finished over the weekend (after our neighbor's surprise birthday party/cookout of course!).  :)  

Maybe next week I'll get back to the build as a break from the job hunt.  :)

Sam- I'm going with the guns out.  I'm still pondering as to how I want to secure the rigging though (maybe tied off and tucked under the carriage, but probably no coils).  I was thinking of lashing the free ends of the tackle over the top of the guns, but that's how they're secured when stowed (not out, as I am doing)...  so probably a little experimentation there...  

Btw, the guns ARE mounted to their carriages, and the breech lines are installed (but not glued/shaped into their final resting position).  :)  I still have some tests to do with diluted PVA (Elmer's glue) added to the breech lines for the proper sag and relaxed state, since mine are very springy and aren't affected by gravity!  lol~

Hrm...  maybe a teaser pic would be appropriate~~~~~  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looong delay- last night was the first time on the ship in over 3 weeks...  but I did manage to get the breech lines set up, and started working on the tackle for the tiller bar.

post-1342-0-06824100-1375390219_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-80835800-1375390239_thumb.jpg

So now to continue with the remaining gun tackle when I have time (job hunt's been slooooow, unfortunately).

Welcome back Rich! She is looking good!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

BAM ---- total transformation.  Nice job on the breech lines.

Fingers till crossed over here on the job front.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks guys!  The lines went a little easier than I thought, but although not quite what I was expecting, I think they turned out ok.  Last night I decided to start making the chain plates- see if I could figure it out, and it's not too bad (made one complete set and all of the middle links).  Today I'm going to try to dip some in the BI tank.  :)  

But most of my focus is on the job hunt- 105 applications as of yesterday (I've sent out more apps in the past 2 weeks than I have in my entire life combined!).  Hanging in there and hoping something pops up really soon, otherwise it's 3 retail jobs @ 100+hrs a week in order to pay the bills, which would mean no building for a long while (but I'll give it another 4-6 weeks before I go down the retail path)........  praying & praying!

Rich,

I think (hope) we're all keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's proof of my bounty from the past two nights:  chain plates!!!   :)  They were a LOT easier than I thought (just made a jig using some small drill bits stuck into a piece of wood so I could get the correct lengths each time).

post-1342-0-72535500-1375516386_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-24429600-1375516368_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-88822400-1375516346_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-03425500-1375516333_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-36649700-1375516321_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-27560600-1375516310_thumb.jpg

Now, just dunking them in the tank overnight.  I only made the ones for the lower shrouds.

Chain plates look good.  You took an engineering approach I see.

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Joseph- of course I did!  ;)  

As for my process and jig, I'll get some pics and start a thread in the Masting & Rigging forum, since it was super easy, fast, and they were highly reproducible.  :)  It definitely took the "fear" out those really quick!  (And it only took 3-4 hrs to come up with the jig and make all of them, so I'm fine with that!)

But now that they're blackened (rather, my "off-rust" color), they'll go in a container so I don't lose them until I do the channels.  Now it'll be back to final rigging of the guns.

Rich, and anyone out there that can help me;  where would the actual beams be located on the Niagara?;  I like accuracy and and know they don't always follow the models' bulkheads.  I would like to produce the plank staggering as accurately as possible.

Thanks for any help!