Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

Rich; 

Just want to say "Thank you" for your posts;  I hope you find a job soon.  Have you thought of Cisco or Microsoft certifications as a booster in your down time?

Companies seem not know RF but these certs. seem to rule.

Lol- no worries on the English (I speak Pittsburghese, Texan, and regular  lol!).  

Regarding the beam locations, honestly, I would have no idea where they would specifically be located- you could try to look through some contemporary sources/drawings, or even some of the modelling books describe the spacing (6-12 inches I think, depending on country, time period).  The plans used for the reconstruction might be available somewhere (National Archives, US Naval Academy Museum, or even the Niagara Historic Society in Erie, PA).  Still, for staggering the planks, you can stick to the 12-30ft lengths like what's called out in the assembly book, and follow the 1:3:1 rule and stagger the butts (see Framing & Planking forum).  Don't forget that the hull is painted, so these details (or slight errors) may not be as visible.  On the deck, in retrospect I think I could have gone with adding the butts and staggering them (I used single strips to cover the whole length, tapered from end-to-end).

As for MS cert, unfortunately I have zero interest/experience in programming or computers (other than using MS office, etc).  Even configuring the wireless router at home for the printer and laptops- that's a headache and PITA in my book!  (I'd rather wire up a ceiling fan, install a walkway, or do yard work in 100 degrees...)  But I've been reading/learning radar and stuff on my own just to keep the brain cells moving.  :)

But still pressing ahead with the job search- really the balls are in the employers' courts (110 apps).  I truly think the trick to all of this is finding out who is actively hiring, as opposed to just having 300+ open positions and not hiring (just collecting resumes)...  So looking at options and widening the net to get some hits.

Sam- thank you!  I hope your gf finds something really awesome as well!  :)  (I should have changed jobs 2-3 years ago when I had the chance- lol!)

The carriages and guns are about 90% installed and rigged- should have them done tonight or tomorrow.  :)  The rigging went a LOT faster than I thought it would (hardest part was hooking the blocks onto the eyebolts in the deck.)  I also have the pinrails ready to go (belaying pins are drying from being blackened as I type this).

Which reminds me- I need to get some pics and detail my process for making the chain plates, which I'll put in the Masting & Rigging forum as well as here.  

Ok...  guns are all rigged, along with the tiller bar.  I also installed the pinrails on the bulwarks.  I've been making parts & assembling the two long guns- they'll be painted tomorrow.  :)  I took a bit of a break from the hunt today since nothing new was coming up...  needed to clear my head, and at least I made some progress!  :)

Hi Rich,

That looks really nice. The long view in the third picture makes it look much larger. Keep up the good work!

Joe

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Thank you!!  I've been picking away here and there at a few things lately, but mostly want to get the long guns installed today/tomorrow, and document my chainplate tutorial.  Once the long guns are installed I'll get some pics up.  :)

Had an actual phone interview today, which was nice considering it's been super quiet for over two months...  so we'll see- could be a few days to weeks until I hear from them (the HR guy said their process is slow, and for me to just hang in there and be patient).  Other than that, still looking around!  :)

Here's some pics of the guns fully installed and rigged.   :)

post-1342-0-06572600-1376502508_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-42601100-1376502547_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-45065800-1376502483_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-66779800-1376502280_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-61030000-1376502211_thumb.jpg

Now it's back to double checking the plans to make sure I didn't miss anything- I want to have all of the inner bulwarks completed and all fittings installed before building & installing the deck houses.

And after deck is 100% done, it's on to the channels (chainplates are done!), then masts & spars!!!!  :)

Rich,

Your ship looks amazing!!  Love the colors and the work and the guns came out really nice!!!   Enjoying following along with this!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam- thank you!!!  Although it's been very slow going (only took me four and a half years to get this far), it hasn't been too bad for my first build.  I think the biggest hurdle is finding the rhythm and seeing the process.  :)  

Now that the "monotony" is over, I can get into the real nitty-gritty~~~  ;)

Thanks for checking in and following along- this is also what helps make this fun and keep one's head in place!

Hi Rich,

Like always, your build continues to impress. What are your next planned steps?

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry- thank you for the compliment!  Yours is turning out fine as well- perhaps this could be some motivation for ya~!!   ;)

Here's my tentative process:

1. Build all of the remaining deck structures (skylights, bilge, bell, etc).  I already built and installed the forward fife rail last night, and plan on making the aft fife rail today.  :)
  2. Complete some of the smaller details on the outside of the hull (steps, channels, rudder chains, eyebolts, etc.).  
  3. Re-attach the caprail (had to strip it off early on due to the gun port heights and had to reinforce the bulwarks).
  4. Assemble the hammock rails, catheads, stairs, etc.
  5. Fabricate the bowsprit
  6. Fabricate the masts
  7. Fabricate the spars

But as I review the drawings, this may change due to things forgotten or overlooked.  I plan on doing as much work, fabrication, and rigging off of the ship as possible in order to make things easier!

(wow- it's weird making a task list without mentioning the guns!  lol!!!)

Rich; 

Incredible build, and great progress!  What's your plans on shaping the masts (and other spars)?   I skipped ahead in order to step the masts into the mast slots, but I've found planing these spars into the correct octagonal shape very tedious.  Any thoughts?

-Bob

Bob- As I think about the masts & spars, I'm a bit intimidated/scared about getting the shapes correct (exact size octagons, chamfer, taper, & round), which I think will be my next biggest challenge.  I think the hardest part will be making all portions come out even & symmetrical.  Attaching the hardware & rigging actually looks easier to me!  lol~

I somewhat tried to make the octagonal shapes in the mast slots along with the angled support inserts that are also octagons (hidden under the planking), but I'll definitely have to find a different method to produce the exact shape needed.  Plus, I think working with round stock will be more of a pain to shape the mast sections, so I might go ahead and buy some square stock instead.

I saw a post a while back in Masting & Rigging (by Garward I think) that showed a method for making square stock octagonal, which I might try.  

Hey Rich, I would totally recommend using square stock if you can. The octagonal shape is much easier to achieve starting with a square profile. Your guns look great BTW!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

You might want to have a look at Blue Ensign's Pegasus log.  He's just completed fabricating the masts for his baby and his method can serve as a tutorial...provided you have the required tools.

Good luck!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Patrick!  It seems logical that square stock would make more sense than round for making masts...  but that'll be in a little while until I start that phase.

Augie- thanks for the heads-up.  I'll check out B.E's log.  :)

For an update, last night I painted and installed the galley pipe, fabricated and assembled the bilge pump (not installed yet), and assembled the lower chain plates with deadeyes.  :)

The Admiral is out of town for a week (or more), so I have the whole house to myself.  :)  (No beer and Cheetoes for me....  well, maybe just the beer.  And bacon.)  ;)  Other than the job hunt, which has been slow going lately (no new openings), I'm slowly prepping the house for sale & packing a few things up for when I do get a job (plan on being able to start wherever in a week after I actually get an offer).  So it's a good time to really make some progress on the build- I plan on having all of the deck structures and fittings done and installed this week (maybe get to the channels as well).  :)

(just reminded me:  chain plate tutorial!!!!)

Rich- When I installed the mast supports, I did try to fabricate them to the specified octaganal shape.  I then attempted to duplicate this shape on one of the mast dowels provided with the kit, in order to test fit and determine the correct mast angles, (with respect to the deck and waterlines).  I agree with Patrick and the others that shaping a square dowel (wait, SQUARE dowels??) would be much easier than shaping a round dowel.  Square stock, and a jig, will be in my future... On the plus side, my butchered octagonal dowel fits snugly into the holes, and the angles with respect to the deck seem to be correct.  (I did panic for a moment when I noticed that the masts were not parallel to each other;  upon consulting the plans, the two masts have different angles with respect to  the horizontal...Whew!) :huh:

Bob- good idea doing a test fit.  Yeah, it'll be interesting to get the correct angles since both masts have two different rakes (get my protractor).  But it'll be a little while until I start the masts (will use square stock and make some kind of jig).  

(square dowel- umm???? oxymoron??)  lol!!

Alrighty....  for a real update on the build:

The past few evenings have been very productive building all of the deck fixtures and test fitting before installation.  

post-1342-0-58801800-1376936402_thumb.jpg

Bilge pump I made on Saturday.

post-1342-0-90059000-1376936417_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-73665100-1376936425_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-53493400-1376936471_thumb.jpg

Forward fife rail is installed

post-1342-0-57462100-1376936498_thumb.jpg

Aft fife rail is installed

post-1342-0-45099100-1376936521_thumb.jpg

Bilge pump is not installed yet (have to add coils to fife rail first)

Here's a view of where I was as of Sat night:

post-1342-0-42403200-1376936450_thumb.jpg

Last night I was able to make the coamings and support frame for the three deck houses- I plan on having these done by mid-week.   :)

The deck furniture looks great Rich. A bowsprit and masts are in your future.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Rich, the deck furniture looks great and it's making your ship come to life. I've been fighting urges to build more of mine, in effort to keep myself focused on planking the hull.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Here's what I was able to accomplish last night:  the salon deck structure.   :)

post-1342-0-31731500-1377075853_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-43575700-1377075837_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-81670100-1377075820_thumb.jpg

I was working on the companionway, but realized something was a bit off...  After staring at my deck cutouts, the coaming structure, and then the plans again, I realized that I made the opening in the deck about 1/4" too short!!!  This should have jumped out at me in my pictures, looking at the drawings, measuring, etc...  somehow that one slipped through!

But no need to worry- I removed the section of deck where the capstan goes (with the extra deck support planks) and cut off the extra length.  After replacing the deck piece, I was left with the correct slot length for the companionway.  I was able to make and paint the coaming.  The rest of the structure will be completed tomorrow-ish, followed by the captain's skylight.  :)

The structure looks very good. Sometimes fate is on your side, cutting an opening in the deck too small is much easier to deal with an opening that is too big... :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Rich, I'll second what Larry said. Great looking work!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Yes-----furnishings look great.  And a nice catch on the deck opening.  I think we all go a little numb sometimes and fail to see the 'big picture'.  Glad you got it in time.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks guys!  Yeah, it wasn't as bad as I thought (luckily it was too small, but I could have corrected one that was too big by replacing a section of decking).  So now that little issue is taken care of, later today I'll finish the companionway, which may be a little tricky due to the hatch opening.  We'll see how it goes...

Also, yesterday I picked up some 3/8" square stock to replace the round dowels for the masts.  I couldn't find any 5/16" for the next size dowel, so those spars/topgallant sections may have to wait a little.  

Nevertheless, still trucking along on the build in the evenings after the job search.  Hanging in there!!!  :)