Niagara by Rich_engr - Model Shipways - 1:64

LOL!!!  Sam, unfortunately my gf left me with just 3 dogs, 2 cats, and an empty fridge for the week or so...  therefore I took some "shore leave" and procured the eggs, bacon, and beer.  :)  But the peace and quiet has been nice- haven't been able to deeply focus on anything in a while, so the space is nice while she's out of town helping some neighbors in El Paso.

The mom (who is the sister of one of our neighbors) died 2 months ago, and the dad was killed in a botched kidnapping one or two years ago, and our neighbor is guardian of the 2 kids, one of which has cerebral palsy (?), and my gf went down to help them clean their two homes (were hoarders apparently)- loooong story...  So I'm at home watching our 3 dogs + 2 cats and the neighbor's 3 dogs (along with job search), so naturally the quiet is welcome.  :)

Good news though- got a call today from a company and they want a phone interview either tomorrow or Monday, so at least it's something!!!  :)  We shall see.....  ;)

So maybe tonight I'll get back to my deck houses...  :)

Good luck with the interview!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

<fingers crossed for you>  Here's hoping the interview goes well...  B)    Sometimes a little quiet is needed and helps us focus a bit on things.   Eggs bacon, and beer!  What more can anyone ask.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Big thumbs up on the quiet and the interview.

Good on your gf for helping out another. Hoarders, yikes! I have dealt with that before, My dads cousin and his mother.

I will join you on the quiet this weekend, my gf just left for a couple of days too. Bacon and eggs and beer-Oh My! 

good luck with the interview.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hope the interview goes well.

Joe

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)

Hi Rich, I just found your log.  I'll be following this closely as it will be my nexct build after I finish the Morgan.  I was just at the Niagra Museum in Erie, Pa., last week and took pictures of several models of her.  The real thing was off sailing and in Green bay at the time I was there.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Rich-

Your build is going great!  I noticed you've started the fife rails, a long way off in my build;  however...

In my kit, I was supplied with 12 mm pins, which disagree with the 9/32" pins called for on the plans (sheet 3).  After emailing Model Expo informing them that they supplied the wrong sized pins, they responded by saying the 12mm pins were the right part.  I have some 5/16" pins from my other build that match the plans very closely, but I don't have enough to do both builds.  I guess after all this rambling, my question to you, and to the other Niagara club members, were you supplied with the 12mm pins, or the 5/16" (8mm) pins?

Bob

Bob- my pins are 5/16 (8mm), which would correspond to about 20in on the real thing.  The BOM for the kit calls for part # WP0410, but doesn't say what size (part doesn't come up in a search on ME).  However, the 12mm (15/32) would make the pins 30in in real life, which does sound too big.  I heard typical belaying pins are between 16-18 inches in length, so by that measure the 8mm would be correct.

Btw, the fife rails are complete, as is 90% of the deck furnishings.  I only have the hatch on the companionway to complete, along with the ship's bell and riding bitts on the bowsprit (ladders as well, but I'll do those after I install the caprail).

John- thanks for checking in!!!  That's awesome that you got to go to the Niagara museum- I was there in Erie a loooong time ago in high school and got to go aboard.  Little did I know that I would be building her decades later...  :)  Good luck with the Morgan- that's one kit that grabs my interest as well- maybe a future build.  ;)  

I see you're in Willis, TX?  You're a couple of hours south of me.  lol!  

Anyway, I'm going to try to get the deck stuff finished this week, but of course I'm still dog sitting, and gf + neighbor are still out of town (may come back this weekend, but we'll see).  Phone interview yesterday went great!!!  It was the best one I've had thus far, so I'm praying that it turns into the real thing!!!  :)  (Btw, the position is at the Naval Weapons center in Dahlgren, VA- I'd be testing comm systems, radars, etc. onboard ships & subs!!  How bada@@ would that be if I got the job!!!)

But still keeping things positive and moving ahead!!  :)

Hi Rich,

That is great news regarding the interview!!!! The NWC would be a cool place to work. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Sounds like you're surviving without the gf.   Pizza and beer----the breakfast of Champions.

Glad to hear the interview went well.  That position sounds perfect.  I'm pulling for you as are your others friends on MSW.

Stay positive!  And good luck 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wayne- thanks!!!!  It's been a long, sloooow build, but definitely have made some progress lately!  Pretty soon it'll be masts & rigging!!!

Quick job update:  the place in Dahlgren called back and said all was excellent!!!  They're checking with their customer, then they'll bring me out for an actual interview as soon as next week possibly!!!!!!  :)  Praying all stays well!!!  :)  

Thank you all for the support you have shown me!  Even if this one doesn't turn out, I know that I have lots of fellow builders wishing me the best, just as I wish all of you the best!!  So we'll see soon enough!  :)

the place in Dahlgren called back and said all was excellent!!!  They're checking with their customer, then they'll bring me out for an actual interview as soon as next week possibly!!!!!!   :)  Praying all stays well!!!   :)

WOO HOOO!!! Good Luck!!

Now for the important question, How was the bacon?  :)

Seriously, good luck with the job it sounds like it would be great. Radar and weapon systems, the only thing better might be to get to blow s#!t up!! Radar side note, one of my first bosses was one of the first dozen or so radar operators ever. Had some pretty wild stories to tell.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Rich, glad to hear the job hunt is turning promising!  Very very nice!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Ok... back to ship modeling!!  Here's the completed deck structures (I did get the companionway painted).  I did not install the bars in the windows- just used some clear plastic from a package for the glass panes:

post-1342-0-18506500-1377708505_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-45214600-1377708529_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-52265900-1377708541_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-89840600-1377708560_thumb.jpg

I'll probably go ahead an install them later today/tomorrow.  Next up is to figure out the ship's bell & forw'd riding bitts (installation will wait until the bowsprit is done).  Then it's adding the remaining eyebolts & hardware on the outside of the hull (for the bobstays, bowsprit rigging, etc.), as well as the steps on the side of the hull.   :)

Just color me green with envy on how nice the deck structures look, no wait, that's my natural color (thanks Sjors).

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Lol Larry!  They were actually pretty simple to make- you'll have no problem with them!.  Mine weren't too far off from the plans.  Just a sharp exacto blade and a sanding block is all you need for those.  ;)  

Anyway, off to put the neighbor's dogs to bed, then watch a movie and have some ice-cream before bed.  :)  Tomorrow will be climbing in the attic sorting stuff and packing/cleaning so I'm ready to go once I get some job offers in.  :)

happy birthday, all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Happy Birthday Rich! Hopefully you'll get a NWS as a gift. :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Make it a great day......and many happy returns.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Lol- thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!!!  :)  Yes, a job offer or interview would be a great present!!!  It's been a good relaxing day (well, if you count getting soaked in gallons of your own sweat while going through books in the attic when it's 102 degrees outside as "good"), and I'll prob go ahead and grill myself a steak for dinner and have some wine.  :)  

Haven't been in the shop today- maybe tomorrow.  My plan is to have the hull and deck complete before I move (transporting ships with masts and spars attached is a little too delicate for my taste).  But I'll get some pics up tomorrow after the houses are installed.  :)

Happy Birthday Rich!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Rich,

Just returning from vacation and catching up with your build log.

Glad to learn of a good interview and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Joe

Joseph Osborne

Pennsylvania, USA

Current Build: US Brig Niagara Model Shipways 1:64

Previous Builds: Scientific Sea Witch 1:76 Solid hull

Revell USS Constitution (plastic)

Monogram: Yacht America (plastic)