Restoring an unidentified brig by BRode - Fnished

post-12579-0-96028500-1415942764.jpgpost-12579-0-18585300-1415942904.jpgpost-12579-0-18585300-1415942904.jpgAttaching photos of the beginning of restoration that was built by my late husband and damaged in storage. I'm a complete novice at this - just becoming familiar with the vocabulary has been an education. I don't know how to tie a neat knot or keep from using too much glue. The photos are of my "workshop" also known as my dining room table, the leftovers Roger left from his ship-building days, parts that are broken that I need to replace, either by carving them myself or finding them online. I have found some, but am not sure of the size or whether or not they are appropriate. So here I go - wish me luck. Betty

post-12579-0-48460600-1415942956.jpg

post-12579-0-25598400-1415942998.jpg

Hi Betty, and welcome to MSW. My condolences on your loss as well.

You've taken on a bit of a monster, but nothing that can't be finished with time, patience and help :) .

It will help a lot if we can get this model identified.  Do you have the plans for it or any other information ?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Looks good from here.  The only thing I can see that needs "tweaking" is that on the crosstrees, you have two long beams running port (left) to starboard (right).  You have two small beams running fore and aft.  Those two small ones should probably be a bit longer so that they stick out like a pair of horns.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for your encouragement. I have checked the items on the deck and find that there are some cannon balls missing and

some belaying pins. Can I substitute beads and nails for the missing pieces? Also, I have a brass item that doesn't necessarily go with this ship. It looks like a horn of some kind. And some barrels but they may have been meant for a different model. Is my next step to attach the masts and then start rigging? The hull is in good shape. There were some brass rings that were attached to the spars but I know nothing about how they were attached,

Edited by BRode

Hi betty glad to see you got a log started.  For replacement parts I'd take some measurements of what you do have ( cannon balls, belaying pins and so on) in millimeters as then forum members can then point you in a direction where to find matching replacements.  May need a caliper for the small parts if you don't have one.  The measurements will also help the forum members help you determine the ships scale for any future things you may need to replace or make.

personally I'd wait on re installing masts until you have finished anything on the hull needing your attention, ( fixes repairs cleaning finish touch ups so on ).  Once you start on that rigging you won't want to be reaching in to do repairs on the deck and hull.

There are far better qualified people on this forum to give you such advice though with many years experience both building and repairing/restoring (I'm also new to this :) )  but I can tell you this, it takes time, lots of it.  Reading, study and then thinking things through before you work on each and every piece.  One bit of advice that is told to everyone that starts here 'treat every part as its own separate model'.

Edited by Grimber

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

post-12579-0-91793900-1416023170_thumb.jpgThanks for your advice. I went ahead with the masts before I read your message. I think I'm ok because I'm going to wait a day or two to see if the glue works. I drilled a hole in each of the masts and glued them together putting a piece of a round toothpick inside and wrapping brown/black thread around it to hold it tight. If that doesn't work, are there any suggestions? I'm excited and trying to be patient and work slowly. If you look under the front of the small boat, there is a square box that I suppose should have a cover. Would it be a lattice or the same cover as the other hatch? Hope I'm using the right terms. The only thing that seems to be missing from the deck are four groups of cannon balls and some belaying pins. It is a 1/64 model and as close as I can figure the belaying pins are 5 mm. Edited by BRode

masts rat lines and even yards should be fine while you also tackle the hull parts.  I'd be more worried with the standing and running rigging getting in the way of deck work.

model expo should have deck parts your missing  like cannon balls

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/page.asp?lp=8008

and rigging parts

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/page.asp?lp=8010

as for the hatch cover, since not sure of the ship "I" would maybe make one to match the other covers, but a grating would not be out of place either and might be easier.

I was thinking about your restoration and what it means.  Looking at the work that was done on the ship it showed how much your husband loved to do the hobby, and allot of him is in that ship.  His time, thoughts, patience and skill.  Every part and line was a part of him.  Now your working on it, sharing a part of him but at the same time putting a part of yourself into every part of the ship.  So by the time you are finished restoring it both of you will be together in that ship, and it can be passed on.  Very cool :)

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

post-12579-0-30531500-1416453942_thumb.jpgpost-12579-0-30531500-1416453942_thumb.jpgI've reached a stopping point. None of the books or pictures of other ships or even the Wikipedia articles have not met

with what I have. First, I should say that I made some cannon balls (I only needed 12) out of modeling clay I had on hand and when it dried I painted them black, so now I'm working on the bowsprit area and trying to determine where the main mast and the foremast are secured. One diagram shows a line going from the tip of the bowsprit to the top of the foremast, then another from the same spot to the top of the mainmast which has a flying jib attached to it. Others don't agree. So my question is - how are the masts held up? Thanks for your kind words from all of you. Betty

Edited by BRode

First thing I can tell you is that the lines DON'T cross over at the fore end of the bowsprit. You must have the flying jib line way too high.

Check out this pic of an overall side view - different ship, but the rigging is pretty well the same for any brig :

Complete 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks for the photo. Today I looked at some model ships at a store - they weren't great, but it gave me some ideas. I can tell from the photo that I have made a mistake. I'll correct it and take another photo. The Niagara plans that I sent for are not helpful because it is a simple sketch and not clear what goes where. I'm learning that some differences are to be expected. Again, thank you. Betty Danny, can you tell me the name of the ship in the photo? It resembles mine enough to be very helpful but I'd need more pictures.

Edited by BRode

Betty, it's my "HMAT Supply" - built from a VERY poor Artesania Latina kit with a LOT of corrections. I used to have a complete build log of her construction but it was wiped out in the Great Crash of a couple of years ago. You can see a few pics of her in the Gallery by clicking HERE.

Cheers, Danny

Danny - Thank you for the pictures - what a shame the others were lost. I will learn from them, I'm sure. I will post a picture of where I am at the moment - please tell me what you think.  I am trying to use as much of Roger's work as I can but I find I need to re-do some.  It is a slow process - mostly because I want to be sure of each step.  Again, thank you so much.  I can see you are a master.  Betty

post-12579-0-83892300-1416691261_thumb.jpg

Hi Betty,

Oh dear, you have some problems. You have the Gaff on the foremast - that's the "pole" that is attached just under the mast top and pointing toward the bow. It belongs on the main mast (pointing toward the stern), but in the position where the other similar one (the Driver Boom) is. That one belongs near the base of the main mast - you'll have to lower it.

It's a little hard to tell from the angle that you've taken the above pic which is the longer of the two booms. The longer one goes to the bottom.

The forestays look a lot better now :) .

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Danny.  I am attaching a few photos of the stern area so you can see the gafs on the foremast.  I don't know what lines go where - I can tell a little from marks left from before, but I'm guessing.  I seem to have more blocks and tackles than I have lines for.  Roger made sails for the ship, so I suppose some of them are for that.  The sails are unfurled and attached to yards so I would like to use them if I can.  Sincerely, Betty

post-12579-0-31911900-1416726492_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-80357600-1416726501_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-03284000-1416726509_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-21058500-1416726516_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-22204900-1416726526_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-72707000-1416726532_thumb.jpg

That mizzen gaff ought to be at a higher angle.

Mike

That's true, but it's an easy fix.

Betty, I'm sure you're right about the extra blocks - quite a few are used for rigging the sails.

A tip - finish ALL the Standing Rigging before you start on the Running Rigging. The Standing rigging supports the masts, and is colored either black or dark brown - it's tarred on the original. I suggest you start off with the Shrouds, the ones that keep the masts straight across the ship and also put tension on them rearward.

Cheers, Danny

Betty: you are already getting good advice from other folk, so I won't add to that. However, I'd like to applaud you taking on this task when you've had so little experience in rigging. Hats off, gentlemen!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you for the encouragement.  I wouldn't be able to do this without all the help I'm getting. I feel like a real landlubber but at one time I did have a small sailboat called the Mayflower - it was just a single sail and was made out of plastic, but I had lots of fun with it.  Tipped over a few times, but it was fun.

Edited by BRode

Betty, a word in support of the encouragement you have been receiving from others. Although the complications may seem insurmountable at the begining, when the penny drops, and it will, the sheer logic of wooden sailing ships will become evident, and the cleverness of so much op them

Enjoy the experience

I have taken a little time off - it is holiday time in the US - lots of turkey and cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie!  Here are photos of my progress - made some changes and added some.  Not sure about it - please let me know.  Betty  I know the ratlines don't look very good, but I would like to use them anyway.  Maybe I can use some starch on them or something to straighten them out.

post-12579-0-98776800-1417409747.jpg

post-12579-0-32340500-1417409758_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-67716500-1417409766_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-16238800-1417409791_thumb.jpg

post-12579-0-51797200-1417409803_thumb.jpg

Edited by BRode

Hi Geoff - Would I take on building another ship?  Why do you ask?  I have no idea what I would build.  I'm learning a lot from this, but I have never built the hull of a ship.  One thing I am finding is that it is hard on the back.  I suppose it is because I work from a standing position a lot of the time.  Thanks for keeping in touch.  Betty