USF CONSTELLATION by toms10 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - scale 1:85 - first wooden build

Hello MSW.  I am starting my AL Constellation kit I purchased from a fellow MSW member.  As a newbie, I followed many of the build logs for a while and found them to be full of great ideas and advice.  Hopefully, someone will benefit in the same way from mine.  Cutting to the chase, I opened the box and did a parts list inventory... which took way longer than I anticipated. The way AL set up the parts list was "interesting" with regards to all the strips of wood.  Instead of having a list of what should be in the box, i.e. 30 strips of this and 40 strips of that, you need to go through all 446 parts.  Each part that was made from the various wood strips was listed with its approximate finished size.  So if you needed 10 pieces of a part that were 30mm long you would have to measure off 300mm from one of the supplied strips.  Unless you want to spend days checking everything it is a virtually impossible task.  I would imagine someone at AL has already done this so why not supply a general what's in the box list along with the detailed list already given?  I didn't bother checking the wooden strips, just the individual pieces.  There were a few items that came up slightly short in the count like some deadeyes, blocks, belaying pins and some other minor things that can be picked up on-line or at a local hobby shop.  What did surprise me is that there were no chains at all for the anchor and stern decor.  No biggie, picked that up at a dept. store.  Here is what was inside.

post-16252-0-97857200-1416090868_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-00105100-1416090888_thumb.jpg

Reviewing the instructions, it is a good thing I have an engineering background.  They are somewhat vague but there are a lot of pics to go by.

Then probably the most important part of the kit...

post-16252-0-17540200-1416090919_thumb.jpg

the bubble wrap.  I plan on taping it to the wall behind my chair so when I bang my forehead into the wall for doing something stupid it won't hurt so much!! ;)

My next step will be to set up my work area and create a fixture to squarely secure the keel while I start the framing (bulkheads).  As with any project, if the frame is not right, the rest will follow as such.

Hello, and nice to see a build log about that ship. Your kit looks excellent. Good luck with your build! :)

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

Hi Tom,

Good to see you getting started.   I just noticed in the pics... hang onto the plastic parts boxes as they are useful for other builds.  There's a few other Constellation builds (and more builders who never did a build log) to give you some help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Okay, so I put together the keel and bulkheads.  I made a fixture to keep the keel vertical.  The "L" shaped blocks are made square so I can use the side face as a stop for a bulkhead to keep it perpendicular to the keel.  Starting at one end, I slid the keel through the guides until the bulkhead slot was flush with the side of the "L" block.  After verifying everything is square, pull the bulkhead out, apply glue, reinsert and verify.

post-16252-0-18991000-1416186269_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-21529900-1416186411_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-68676800-1416186424_thumb.jpg

I did catch a situation that might have caused a problem when installing the aft mast.  Bulkhead #16 was cut with center area hollowed out.  This was probably done to shorten the length of the plywood blank for all the laser cut bulkheads.  A smaller and narrower bulkhead was cut out inside this area.  The issue is that this created a gap between the mast support blocks.  This gap is right where the mast will be located.  The picture in the instructions shows the bulkhead without the hollowed out area.  I ended up improvising by inserting a scrap piece from the plywood used for the bulkheads.  Now it is a solid block.  The same issue happened with bulkhead #6 however, the foremast is not positioned in this gap.  It is totally in the support blocks.  The attached PDF shows what I am talking about.  Good thing I went through the instructions a couple of times to get an idea of what's coming.

Presentation1.pdf

As I saw mentioned on another post, there will be an issue about installing a few cannons on the the lower deck if I follow the instructions and put the all the decks on first.  If I do that I will need to rig a cannon that is under the deck overhang.  I can't find my shrink ray gun :D so I will have to figure out another solution.

Next step is to plank and install the partial lower decks.

As I recall, the holes are drilled AFTER :stunned: the decks are planked and installed.  It can be done, just make sure to start with a pilot hole and work up to the size needed and use sharp bits.  :)

Those cannon are toughies to figure out and beg to be knocked off the deck.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

toms10,

Having almost finished this kit, here's some things I've learned. I was new to this hobby as well when I started it so I hope this helps.

The wood supplied in my kit was ample enough to make any part I needed however I did use some of the scrap pieces to remake a few parts, so don't throw away anything until you have completed all the woodwork. I still have planking strips left over so that was not an issue. One issue I had was bending the stern plywood piece as it does not like to bend to that degree. I scrapped that part and made the stern by stacking strips of planking bent to shape and edge glued, building up to the correct height. After the double planking and adding the rail, it is quite strong. As for the holes for the masts, Mark is correct about drilling after decking. It's your test of courage!  Measure three times, drill once. As for the belaying pin rails, make sure you check out all the pictures and drawings including the rigging drawings to be sure you have them the correct length, in the correct position and they have the proper # of holes. Don't ask me how I know this. ALSO, if you have not already read somewhere, decide how you want to mount the finished model and if that is to use pedestals, position and drill the hull for them very early on in the construction. Another don't ask. The aft cabin windows are cast metal and are flat, yet the stern is a compound curve. I've yet to figure this out since the windows will not bend to match the surface of the hull and I have been working on a solution. I'm currently trying to remake them in something that will work but have not solved this yet. Wood may be the way I'll have to go, but I'm still experimenting with molds and casting.

If you want to add sails, start that proccess way before the instructions say to. There are threads here to guide you through that and it will make all the difference. I first planned to add sails and have since ruled that out because of the progress I had already made. If you don't want sails, the kit is not showing the upper yards in the proper position on the masts to be technically correct, so keep that in mind.

Take the rigging line in the kit and put it on the shelf. Find replacement line for the different sizes on-line and get plenty of it. I ran out of one size and it stalled me for weeks. Line is cheap and some of the stuff you can buy is better quality and easy to get more of. Wax your lines before installing and learn how to seize lines. Don't ask why.

The more threads I read here, the more I learn what I didn't do right and also what I did right and didn't know it so keep reading and ask questions. Consider yourself lucky to have this resource that I did not at the time. Use it. And get some more bubble wrap.

Just some of what I recall off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

John

Jetwrench,

Thanks for all the insight.  I am currently planking the decks so I have a long way to go but it is a great help to know what is coming up and what to watch for.

I am short about 10 belaying pins from what the parts list says. I am not sure I will need them all as I have not checked out that part of the instructions yet.   I will probably order the 8mm one from Model Expo along with some deadeyes, blocks (other pieces that came up just short in the count) and such.  I also have to make 8 brass cannon wheels.  Luckily I am an engineer in a manufacturing plant that has many toolmakers... calling in some favors  :)

The info on the pedestals is good to have.  As for the cast metal aft cabins, I was thinking about making them out of thin plywood and maybe using somthing like the deck planking to cover it along with some 1/16 square walnut for trim.  The other thought is to make templates of the hull curves out of a piece of manilla folder and transfer the lines to the castings and put the dremel to use.  It is not easy but maybe you can match the curves.

I did want to put sails on... after all, what is a sailing ship without sails?  I was thinking of partially furling up some of the main sails so as not to hide all the rigging. Maybe all of them, the jury is still out.

I have heard on other posts about the rigging line amounts being short.  This is very scary.  With the cost of thread why not just add an extra spool to the kit. Trying to match it after you rigged most of it is probably impossible.  I planned on buying my own supply but I am not sure how much to buy.  The diameter is marked on the spools but not the length.  Do you know how much you bought of each and where did you get it?  I plan on practicing seizing before I actually start the rigging.  I have a strong woodworking background but I need to work on knots... I was never in the Boy Scouts. :)  :)

Tom

Tom,

I think you can still buy AL rigging thread (and some other bits) from Tower Hobbies.

As for the quarter galleries,  have a look at my log:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/42-uss-constellation-by-mtaylor-al-wood-bashed-heavily-into-1854-sloop-of-war/   The log was rebuilt after the crash last year, so the text is missing, but maybe the pics will help you.  I took the shape from the pictures of her in Baltimore that are available on the web.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

Thanks for the info about the AL rigging.  I am a bit nervous about trying to match the colors so I will probably buy an extra spool of each before I start just to make sure.  That is still quite a ways off but something to think about.  I did find much more of a selection at Model Expo with regards to different sizes of various rigging components.  AL uses 8mm belaying pins in the kit and this was the only place I could find them.  The kit shorted me about 10 pins.

I checked out your Constellation build... INCREDIBLE JOB. :cheers:  

The AL kit claims to be the original 1794 design and everyone claims it to be fantasy.  It might very well be but the part that confuses me about the whole discussion is that there are no original plans available to verify what anyone is saying.  I did come across a book called "Modeling the USF Constellation" by Gilbert Ardle.  He did quite a bit of research and raises many interesting points and makes a good reference and read. Together with Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified", I have quite of bit of information from which to draw from, fact or fiction.  Of course they don't match the wealth of knowledge shared on the MSW forums.

After reviewing the kit, I did plan on "enhancing" it a bit even though it is my first wooden ship model.  What I think is going to make this build fun is I am only in it make an interesting a good looking ship model for my living room, not a an actual replica for a museum.  I am not that much of a purist at this point; it's all about fun for me.

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom, the full cannons need to go on before the upper decks because there is no way to install them afterwards. Look ahead in the picture book of this area and you will see what I mean. I wold advise you to mark the book at the "install upper deck " part with words install guns first. :)

the plywood bulkhead can be bent by sandwiching it between wet paper towels for ten minutes at a time, bending it a little each time. Takes a few steps of this but it works. You have to keep an eye out for the plys seperating while your doing it but I never had that problem on mine.

Hobbylinc sells the AL thread if you need more. I had to buy 5 extra spools of the tan running rigging thread because of waste while tying knots.

hope all that helps. Best of luck. It makes a fine model when completed.

Richard

Good luck with your build. I'm a wood ship newbie too and will be building Model Shipways' USB Niagara as my first. Right now I'm almost done with my workbench (pics on my build log) Then I have 2 Entex 1/16 Model Ts to build and after that I'll be patiently starting the Niagara. I will also be alternately working on Revell's 1/96 Constitution . I look forward to watching your progress!

"Any officer can get by on his sergeant. To be a sergeant you really have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." - SgtMaj Daniel J. Daly, USMC, 1921.

:piratebo5:Tom  :piratebo5:

Current Builds:

1. Revell's 1/96 USS Constitution 

2. Model Shipways 1/64 Niagara 

Thanks Richard, I am writing in book now.  I will probably by 6 spools because I am sure rigging will take some practice. :D  :D

SgtSki, you are one busy modeler.  Likewise, good luck with the Niagra.  I am currently planking decks right now.  It is pretty straight forward, kind of like the calm before the storm...

So I did a little more work on the main deck.  I was trying to decide whether to put the trunnels in or not.  According to the research all the planking is 9" wide.  That puts it at about 1/8" wide at my 1:85 scale.  The actual planks supplied are about 0.2".  I decided to go with the supplied width and make the planks 24' (2 3/8") long I then added some detail with the trunnels.  Naturally putting them in a plank 1/8" wide did not seem practical.  I don't think I will do them on the hull planks because the walnut planks (2nd layer) are very dark and they would not show up that well... just not worth the effort in this case.  Below is the finished deck. I did the holes with a pin drill (#77 drill) and touched them up with a "T" pin then smeared in some darker wood putty.  Stained and put on a coat of satin urethane.  I am sure many of the trunnels will be covered by the "deck clutter" but I like the way they break up the plain look of the deck itself.  Will start to work on the cat rails next.  This will give me time to ponder the cannon and hull planking situations that are coming soon.

post-16252-0-88312400-1416973587_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-72888900-1416973620_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-69367200-1416973637_thumb.jpg

Thanks Marku.  It was tedious but I like the way it came out.

I put the catwalks in and fared the bulkheads and catwalks.

post-16252-0-92754300-1417228304_thumb.jpg

The pic shows the fore deck just held on with clamps for now.  I think I figured out a way to install the cannons on main deck that are under the fore and aft decks.  I need to think it through but right now I am thinking about temporarily putting the decks in place while I plank the hull.  I am going to pin or screw the deck to the bulkhead where the mast is going to be located.  The hold the ends with clamps as shown.  The hole where the screw will be will disappear when the hole is enlarged for the mast.  I am hoping that this will lessen the chances of knocking off the cannon while doing the planking.

The next step is to put the supports for the "pin" cannons.  I am a bit confused by the directions.  The picture for step 15 shows the cannon with the pin not set into the support yet.  The written instructions say that after the pin is "nailed" the end of the cannon should stick out 9mm past the edge of the deck.  I would take the written instructions as the pin inserted into the drilled hole but the picture shows something else.  I am thinking the picture is wrong because once the pin is inserted into the support the cannon would only stick out about 3mm ( the pin is 6mm long).  With the gun port covers raised you would barely see the cannons after the planking is on.  I suppose if the supports were too far in, I could put another piece on top of the support to bring the cannon out more.  That might just be a good idea anyway :huh: because I think it would be easier to fix the cannon to the spacer piece that would fit through the gun port and glue that sub-assembly to the original support.

Any thoughts?  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

post-16252-0-86196800-1417227431_thumb.jpg

Tom

good luck in the kit!! I'm hanging sails on my Constellation. it's a fun build. I didn't put in the dummy cannons until I was done with the hull and then went back and drilled with a pin vice.

So I started the first layer of planking.  It is the first time I have done this and have read many tutorials which have helped greatly.  A few planks a night so it should take a while but I am in no rush.  Knowing that this will be covered up with a second layer definitely takes a lot of pressure off.  Each one gets a little better.  I am trying to approach it as if it will be the only layer so I can learn how to do it correctly i.e. not tapering the ends down to more than half the width, where and when to insert drop planks or stealers.  I end up dry fitting a couple and attaching with t-pins to try to figure out if I will need stealer before I actually glue.  This seems to work best for me.

post-16252-0-77136600-1418225060_thumb.jpg

There is one plank that needs some sanding as it is a bit high.  It has a seam because it "had an accident" ;) and broke after I shaped and fitted.  I also need to trim them all to length when I fit the front keel piece in.

post-16252-0-44117400-1418225192_thumb.jpg

This one here that has a low spot so I will be using some filler.  Again, good thing this is the underlay planking as this is definitely not worthy of display.

post-16252-0-02164300-1418225331_thumb.jpg

Overall progress.

I did try the plier type plank bender and found it to be more hassle and less effective than it's worth. :(   I am soaking and using an old modified soldering iron and homemade form tool to bend and found it to be much easier.  If you go a bit too deep with the pliers the plank ends up snapping when it bends.  That is the "accident" I was referring to in the first pic. :angry:

Thanks, Gundorf,

It is kind of a tricky build in that the order of everything with regards to assembling what to what when needs a lot of forethought.  The first thing that jumps out at you is do not install the fore and aft decks until the cannons on both ends of the main deck are installed.  You will not be able to fit fingers or work in the space where they go.  The AL instructions are a bit vague but you should have no trouble as this is your second build.  This is my first and with the help of MSW I am finding my way through it.  I plan on changing a few things as I go.  When I get to these items I would like to replace the metal quarter galleys with wood and the same with the small boat (not sure what the correct term is).  I did find that going through the parts list the way they have it laid out is somewhat "challenging"  I seem to be short a few belaying pins, dead eyes and blocks but these are things I can make or buy when I get there.

Enjoy your build.  Looking forward to seeing pics and info so I can sponge some knowledge from you. :D  I am learning as I go and that is half the fun. 

Tom

Tom,

You're doing fine.  When the first layer is completed, fill the low spots and sand the living daylights out of her until everything is smooth and fair.  The second layer, go for the nice look.  :)

I made my own quarter galleries. But my log only has pictures as it's an executive summary of what was there back on MSW 1.0.  It might give you some ideas on how to do the galleries.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Tom:

You have made the first giant step in building a fantastic ship, and that is finding this forum. So many amazing and talented builders here and all more than willing to help. I wish I would have found it sooner.

I'm just finishing up my Constellation (my first wood model also) and it was a fun ship to build. I learned a lot and it turned out pretty good - for me anyway.

Just keep plugging away and have fun. That's what it's all about.... Your off to a fine start.... :rolleyes: 

RR

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Still moving forward with the 1st layer of planking.  About halfway there.

post-16252-0-73180900-1418938805_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-67273000-1418939013_thumb.jpg

Both sides are coming out pretty symmetric so I am happy with the progress so far.

• 2 weeks later...

1st layer of planking is finally done.  After some sanding I think we will be in good shape.  Next I will probably trim the edges where the walnut keel pieces will fit and continue on with the bulwarks.  Looking back I am wondering if it would have been easier to put these in before the 1st layer of planks and fit the plank lengths.  Like everything there are good and bad points with either way.  That is what makes this hobby fun... there is absolute right or wrong.  It is up to each person's creativity.

post-16252-0-86444900-1419634186_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-57854900-1419634211_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been making a bit of progress since my last post.  I cut out the gun ports and framed them.  My plan is to put the 2nd layer of planking up to the liners and sills and then file the liners and sills flush with the planking.  I think I can get a cleaner look that way.  In the end, the planks surrounding the gun ports will be painted white and the liners and covers black.  I am not really following the building order laid out in the instructions.  I am trying to do as much as I can prior to putting in the 4 cannons that are underneath the upper fore and aft decks.  I don't think that is the right terminology for the deck names.  The more I can do now, the less chance I will have of dislodging a cannon while working on the hull.

This kit does not plan on rigging the cannons either. :(   I decided that was something I wanted to give the model a bit more detail.  So now I am waiting for the blocks and some other stuff I ordered to make its way to my door.  I was going to make the blocks but after making a couple and having them split I decided for the number of them I will need it would be much easier to buy them.  I did end up making 200 eye hooks from some wire I had.  That was relatively easy with the right pair of pliers.

I managed to put in the keel and bulwarks while I am waiting.

post-16252-0-64253500-1421071110_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-31630300-1421071125_thumb.jpg

Next I plan to start the 2nd layer of hull planking, then rig the 4 cannons in the corners of the main deck and finally place the remaining decks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have gotten a bit further.  I did not like the way the original gun port linings looked per the AL plans.  It was time for my first "do-over". Instead of using the 0.6mm thick basswood as suggested, I opened up the holes replaced the liners with 1.5mm thick basswood to make them look more framed.  My intent is to paint them black with the planking between the rubs painted white.  The rubs will also be black.  The rest of the planking will be done with the walnut that was supplied.  I need to lower the 12 cannon carriages on the gun deck a bit.  When they are assembled the are a bit high in the port hole.  Should not be a big deal, I will probably skim a bit (1.5mm) off the top of the sides where the cannon barrel mounts.  The deck in relation to where the upper rub and bulwark meet seems to be a bit high.  Either the bulkheads were not cut down far enough for the deck or the cannon carriages aren't quite right.

Once the outer layer of planking is done, I will plank the bulwarks both inside and out, place the 4 cannons that go under the top decks and then put the decks in place.  I figure this order will produce the least amount of chances to knock off one of the 4 cannons that need to be placed early.

Here is where I am right now.

post-16252-0-64956600-1422294916_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-06996400-1422294928_thumb.jpg

Expecting a blizzard to bury us tonight and tomorrow with 2 - 2 1/2 feet of snow.  I guess that just means less time at work and more time in the shipyard.  :D  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well the last week has not panned out like I had hoped.  I spent more time battling snow storms and blizzards than working at the shipyard.  I did make a some progress with the outer planking.  I decided to sketch out the general pattern for meshing all the merging planks together at the bow on the hull itself.  Since this is my first build, I find it helps to have a plan since I keep starting and stopping for snow events.   I am also able to better maintain some symmetry between both sides of the hull.  I am pretty happy with the way it is coming out even though it may be taking a while. Learning as I go.  :)

post-16252-0-54367600-1423063775_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-42742100-1423063808_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-94328800-1423063812_thumb.jpg

Next steps will be to plank the inside and outside of the bulwarks, paint the gun ports and outer planking between the upper and lower rubs (wales).... I think. :P

Thanks for the compliment John.  At the rate I am going I should be about 150 years old when I start my 10th! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I made some progress this weekend.  Finished planking the hull and inside of bulwarks.  Next I need to locate where the gun ports are going to be cut on the bulwarks next, cut them out then plank the outside.  I noticed also that the gun carriages don't really fit well in terms of height.  They seem to be kind of high and don't come out past the outer hull enough on the main deck.  I see some minor alterations in my not to distant future.

post-16252-0-50485200-1424095195_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-62554300-1424095207_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-20622100-1424095218_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-46620700-1424095226_thumb.jpg

I have been logging my time just to see how many actual working hours I spend on this model.  The outer planking took 41 hours!  Included in that however, are hours just spent staring (planning :) ) trying to figure out the best layout.  Overall there are about 170 hours.  As this is my first build, much of it is spent absorbing and learning.  Thanks to all my MSW friends for the help.

I also played with some of the main deck trimming just to do something other than planking.

post-16252-0-18692700-1424095626_thumb.jpg