USF CONSTELLATION by toms10 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - scale 1:85 - first wooden build

The next step is to attach the sails to the yards.  First I need to go ahead and decide whether to put the head, foot and leech lines on the sails.  I am not sure if they are going to be noticeable enough to go through all that work. :huh:

Jeff is right, Tom.  If you're not sure and skip it, you'll look back later and wonder "why didn't I?".   You still have time to decide.  Make the other sails and let your feeling float to the top.  Then go with them.

Crikey.. I'm soundling like Yoda or Obiwan now....   post-76-0-85174700-1446181786.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jeff is right, Tom.  If you're not sure and skip it, you'll look back later and wonder "why didn't I?".   You still have time to decide.  Make the other sails and let your feeling float to the top.  Then go with them.

Crikey.. I'm soundling like Yoda or Obiwan now....   attachicon.gifyoda-master.gif

Thanks to all for the likes.

Jedi master Mark, I know you and Jeff are right.  I have fell victim to the "Why didn't I" syndrome in the past on many things.  I am going ahead with making all the sails first and then let the force within guide me. :P Based on the time it takes me to make a sail I will have quite a while to learn the ways of the Jedi. :D  :D  :D

I'm no Jedi... just seemed to sound like one. :)   I don't think I've attained junior-padawan grade yet.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff but this is my first build so I don't know how much guidance I can give.  I think I am still in the "winging it" stage.  It has been fun!  

I am about half way through making the 18 sails.  Then I need to decide about what the best way to do the head, foot and leech ropes will be.  LIke you and Mark mentioned earlier, I don't want to ask myself why I didn't bother with them so I decided to put them on.  I will probably make a spare sail and practice on that one.  This sail making from scratch is a lot more involved than I thought it would be.  It is probably going to take the same amount of time as planking.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

It is great to see you are back.  Sails are a whole lot more complicated and time consuming than I originally thought!  It is a toss up between sails and ratlines.  I am making my last of 17 sails now but I still have to put on the head, foot and leech lines on all of them.  That seems like it will take a very long time also.  I am getting antsy now... I want to attach a sail to a yard and put it up on a mast!  Okay, now that I vented that out... paaaatience. :)

Tom

Jeff,

Hope these pics help.  If not let me know and I will see what else I can do.

post-16252-0-44546200-1447549731_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-74928500-1447549875_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-70754900-1447549919_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-48670000-1447549925_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-14399600-1447549948_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-08604900-1447549943_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-27553900-1447549938_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Tom

Just a status update.

I just spent most of the afternoon layout out the belaying pin schematic.  The supplied rigging plans don't have any clew lines.  I added a couple of belaying pin racks because you can never have enough places to tie off rigging.  I was going to put bunt lines on the main and fore main and top sails but I don't think the layout I have will work with regards to the belaying pins.  The other main reason I will leave them out is I will be displaying all the sails fully sheeted.  I was going to partially reef the main and fore main sails to see the deck better.  The method I used (mentioned above) to make the sails caused the foot lines to be stiff because of the glue.  Also the threads I glued to the faces of the sail made them stiff enough where they will not look like loosely hanging window drapes. The sails look great but they can't be reefed.  Luckily, with the sails fully extended there is still plenty of room to see the deck details.  I spent a lot of time on them and would have hated to make them over.

I will have to look into just sewing them without any glue on the sides or foot on the next build.  Then they should hang loosely if needed.  This must be one of those learning experiences that I keep hearing about. :D  :D

My next step is to start attaching the sails to the yards and then pre-install as much rigging as I can before I mount them.

Tom

Jeff,

Here are a couple of pics from different angles.

post-16252-0-24301600-1448025497_thumb.jpg

Looking back towards the stern

post-16252-0-07645500-1448025548_thumb.jpg

Looking forward

Tom

Reached a milestone this weekend!   I am no longer just drifting in the currents. I have the beginnings of a propulsion system!!! :10_1_10:  :dancetl6:  :piratetongueor4:   Okay, I admit I am a little excited. 

I fit the sprit sail to the yard and rigged all the lines.  Need to start working on the jib sails and work my way back to the mizzen sails.  Spent quite a bit of time laying out a belaying pin pattern since I have added clew lines.  My deck and pin racks are no longer of the "kit" design.  The further I went with this kit and the more I learned (thanks MSW) the more I bashed.  I learned one important thing during this project, I like bashing! :D   Maybe one more kit and then a scratch???  Ahh  patience grasshopper, that is many years away.

Here is are pics of my wind power so far.  I still need to put loops of rope on the belaying pins but will probably wait and do them all at the end of each section of sails... kind of like a mass production assembly line.

post-16252-0-80250500-1448295125_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-23970200-1448295146_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-02426800-1448295138_thumb.jpg

tom  great job on the sails  they look wonderful   love the leach lines   since i cant see well on my phone  the detail of the yard and the attchment throw me   am i seeing correctly that you used brass rings to attch it    however you did  it looks great 

Hey tom I was looking at my plans and reviewing your build I noticed that your mizzenmast is not the same as my plans Did yours have this extra support

Jeff

My mizzen also has the small support mast. I did not install it yet. Will do that when I install the boom. The bow sprit yard is not attached with the brass rings. It is just glued in place with the little triangular shaped piece which is glued to the yard per the instructions. The instructions also had me put the brass rings on the bow sprit mast. It didn't really make sense to me as the yard is supposed to be able to ride up and down this area by using the yard lifts. The rings would seem to get in the way as I see it. What do I know? It's my first boat and I know more now then when I put the sprit masts together. I guess the bottom line now is the rings look great and I am not changing it now!

Tom

Holiday weekend gave me some extra time in the shipyard.  Started attaching some sails starting at the bow.  All the jib sails and sprit sail are done.  Next I will work on the fore mast sails.  Then I need to make a bunch of belaying pin rope loops to finish off the running rigging at the bow.  The light at the end of the tunnel is very dim but I am definitely in the the tunnel. :D

post-16252-0-41140600-1448844370_thumb.jpg post-16252-0-18728900-1448844500_thumb.jpg

I find that there is always a lot more to do than I think so I am trying to hold back the excitement.  I like how the build goes through different phases where the model takes on an entirely new look after a certain milestone is reached.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the likes.

Got the fore mast sails up and all the running rigging is in place except the yard braces.  I will put those on after the main mast sails are mounted.  I think the fore  mast yard brace lines will be in the way.  Miles and miles of rope.  I will play around with the sails after they are all mounted to see if I can "billow" them a bit more.  The middle of the top and course sails a sagging a bit due to their size.

post-16252-0-27340200-1449234631_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-59250600-1449234642_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-47608400-1449234657_thumb.jpgpost-16252-0-49424500-1449234667_thumb.jpg

Whoa.... wow.. <drops jaw to floor>  The sails really make her 'pop'.  Looking great, Tom.  I like the way the sails are turning out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: