USF CONSTELLATION by toms10 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - scale 1:85 - first wooden build

Thanks everyone.

I think I am starting to get "post completion syndrome"!  There is a thread floating around somewhere that mentions this and I laughed and said, "Really?  I can't see that happening to me."   :rolleyes:  Need to start working on the case pronto. :)  :)  Maybe I need to sign up for therapy.... Hi, my name is Tom and I'm a modelshipaholic. :P

I also added a few more detail pics in my completed kit album.

Tom

Edited by toms10

Tom,

That is a very well known and documented condition hereabouts.  I'd go see Dr. Per in his topic for this: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/474-therapy-for-shipaholics/

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congrats to completion of your beautiful ship Tom,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, I'm very Impressed with your accomplishments on the Constellation. I love this ship and the history of it. They call her the sister ship to the Constitution. She was used in the war against slavery of the coast of Africa and was supposed to have captured quite a few slavers once slavery was outlawed in the states. There has also been some discussion about the stern section of the Constellation actually being squared off like the Constitution at one point, but then changed to the rounded version later on. I have to ask, did you use the cheesy metal rear galley windows on the stern? I tried those blasted metal windows and never could get them to lay flat and when I tried to add a bit of curve to them I broke a couple which I thought at the time was no great loss. So I scratched those myself out of wood and wood grating and the looked way better than the cheesy metal windows. I didn't do any painting to the Constellation, all natural wood and no copper plating either and no sails. I sold it shortly after finishing it to a fellow on the East coast of Florida, who still keeps in touch with me.

I can't get over how fantastic the sails on your Const came out. They look great and so real looking. I have found with most sails, they are either too small or too big, but yours is just the right size.

Great work and for a first time build, I can't believe it. The Const was like my 3rd or forth model.

mike

Mike,

I hate to be a party pooper.. but there's still a lot of misconception about the Constellation. 

Have a look at this:  http://www.maritime.org/conf/conf-linden.htm and there's a PDF referenced... http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals/103/Documents/NSWC_Carderock/fouled_anchors-1.pdf

The AL model (and Tom did a great job) is basically how the ship looked for many years as the "frigate" before the restoration.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I found the whole affair fascinating, Mike.  It's a pity that there's  no plans available for the actual frigate as it would neat to have the 1797 and the 1854 models displayed together.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Tom, I'm very Impressed with your accomplishments on the Constellation. I love this ship and the history of it. They call her the sister ship to the Constitution. She was used in the war against slavery of the coast of Africa and was supposed to have captured quite a few slavers once slavery was outlawed in the states. There has also been some discussion about the stern section of the Constellation actually being squared off like the Constitution at one point, but then changed to the rounded version later on. I have to ask, did you use the cheesy metal rear galley windows on the stern? I tried those blasted metal windows and never could get them to lay flat and when I tried to add a bit of curve to them I broke a couple which I thought at the time was no great loss. So I scratched those myself out of wood and wood grating and the looked way better than the cheesy metal windows. I didn't do any painting to the Constellation, all natural wood and no copper plating either and no sails. I sold it shortly after finishing it to a fellow on the East coast of Florida, who still keeps in touch with me.

I can't get over how fantastic the sails on your Const came out. They look great and so real looking. I have found with most sails, they are either too small or too big, but yours is just the right size.

Great work and for a first time build, I can't believe it. The Const was like my 3rd or forth model.

mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for kind words.  I know what you mean about the cheesy metal windows.  That cheap white metal does not bend much without breaking so trying to bend it around the sharp curve would be impossible... even with heat.  My way around it was to glue wood strips behind the metal that were about a millimeter thick or so.  I then sanded the wood to the same contour as the stern so they fit perfectly.  After painting you can't tell that they are actually 2 pieces that are not even the same material.  Actually had the same issue with the eagle on the stern.

Tom

WOW, now you see, an old dog like me can still learn a thing or three. I didn't even think of that option when deciding on what to do with the metal windows, I just decided to chunk them and scratch build some new ones. I wish I had thought of doing it your way, it would have saved a few hours of work for sure.

mike

I know what you mean Mark, back when Ship in Scale had there chat room up and running back in the late 90's there was a big discussion on that aft portion of the Constellation being accurate or not. There was discussion about the stern being square like the Connie, but without plans, or some type of documentation, how would anyone know this and why would the stern galley have been changed is what I find to be the interesting question if it had been.

mike

Yeah..it's interesting on that story.. the "claimers" said that when the ship went through it's "repair" in 1854, that they changed the stern and length and also "improved" the lines.  One of the things I learned was that they stole and modified or replaced the drawing in the national archives.  Where the originals of her went, no one seemed to have knowledge of.  

The square stern was documented in notes by the designer as it was similar to Constitution's.   Also there's several paintings that show this.   I serously wish AL would go back and rework this kit to reflect the actual Constellation as it sits now, not as it sat about 40 years ago or more.  Not that hard, the hull is right.  It would just be a matter of tweaking the weather deck and getting rid of those Star Wars like cannon.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been busy building my display case/table for my Constellation.  I am just getting ready to stain it and will put up pics when all is said and done.  In the mean time I played around with putting together a YouTube video of my ship build log pics.  It's not quite ready for network TV but it was fun to do.  Check it out.

Tom

Hey tom seems like I was there from the beginning but I do have to say that the slide show rejuvenated the imagination and interest. It shows the progression that I had forgotten It reminded me of how a simple few peices of wood can transform into a piece of art

Tom, just caught up on your log, what a great looking model, well done.  Love the look of the sails, really brings it to life.  Looking forward to whats coming next...if you can spill the beans.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jeff and Jason,

I have no beans to spill at this point.  I am finishing up the display case this week and then a few projects around the house.  I am leaning a bit towards the Montanes but the Nuestra Senora looks interesting.  So does the San Ildefonso and the Trinidad.... see my issue???? :)  :huh:

Tom

Edited by toms10

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

This is pretty much the last step to this build log.  I have completed the display case and have attached a few pics.  The overall dimensions are approximately 51" long x 22" deep x 63" high.  It has 3 dimmable LED lights in the canopy.  The surface that the boat is actually sitting on is a piece of granite (countertop remnant).  Around the granite I installed a "fence" with a small chain to give it the effect that you could easily picture yourself (at scale) walking through a display of the actual ship at a shipyard museum.  As all have mentioned in many threads, you need to plan where you are going to display these because the displays can get big quick.  Now I have to figure out what the next build will be...

Enjoy and thanks to everyone for all the help on this one.

Tom

post-16252-0-20674000-1457554859_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-14440300-1457554880_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-21913700-1457554892_thumb.jpg

post-16252-0-92245300-1457554900_thumb.jpg

I love that display case, Tom.  It does your lady justice.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my library at the moment but I believe that there is quite a bit of information on the first Constellation You might want to obtain a copy of "The Constellation Question" by Howard Chapelle and Len Pollard. This book has quite a bit of original source material for both vessels. Used copies are available cheap on the Internet. A second source would be Naval Ducuments of the Barbary Wars published by the Navy Department. This book contains drawings reprinted from the National Archives in a pocket. There was also an article in the Nautical Research Journal I believe about 1980 on this warship. Last, there was a book published 10 years ago or so about sailing warships of the U.S. Navy. I believe that the author is Donald Canney.

Roger

Tom, congrats on finishing her - she looks great. Also love your display case. You're right about the question of where to display her before you start. One of the reasons I have not started mine - I have the same kit.

Tom she is beautiful nestled in her permanent birth I love the case it exemplifies the work effort and love you've put into her I can only hope my girl turns out to be half the lady yours has It has been a pleasure watching her come to tuition Thank you for sharing this experience

Thanks again everyone for the kind and encouraging comments.  Time to decide on the next build. :dancetl6:

Tom

• 4 years later...

I'm working on this ship right now, but it didn't come with instructions in English for some reason (the blue book of instructions seems to be entirely in Italian), i can follow the pictures, as well as your posts, but do you still have yours by any chance and the ability to scan them?

Hi TreeSqueak

I do have the instruction booklet and picture booklet. Are you in the US?  PM me your address and I will mail them to you. I don’t see me needing them in the future. 
Tom

Hi Jack

good to hear from you. I may be a bit bias as it was my first build. It was a fun build. You need to be careful about the order of the steps. The instructions are not the greatest. I believe I mentioned it in my log.

have fun with it.
Tom