HMS Ajax by Cabrillo - Euromodel

This project started many years ago and has gathered steam more recently. The basis of the project is the Euromodel HMS Ajax. I have made many modifications which have included endless hours of fun! My working thesis is that the model represents a fictional vessel and there fore historical accuracy is less important. Generally I have tried to keep to Royal Navy practice which has resulted in Many hours of research. We are not trying to get to museum quality here! As the two photos show, one early modification was to round the forecastle and add bow chase ports.

Edited by Cabrillo

These photos were attached before under the discussion about this kit maker. Generally the figure head has been turned from a rooster into a hen with the addition of a skirt made from a wine bottle foil wrapper . Also carronades on the main deck. Other changes have included modifying the mizzen to carry a top sail and top gallant, ships stove, boats from Calder Craft, anchors from Calder Craft. Copper bottom again from Calder Craft. Sails were made from material supplied in the kit. This week I have stated to rig the mizzen. Quite a busy spot!

post-12901-0-62597400-1416153963_thumb.jpg

post-12901-0-46873500-1416153984_thumb.jpg

post-12901-0-53712800-1416154043_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the stern. The raised lettering is from a company in the UK called Scale Link Ltd. I needed an alternative to the lettering that came with another kit that I am working on and found this company on the Internet. I think it looks right! The windows need some clean up. Already have done one pass at this. The heavy castings are a problem.

post-12901-0-59533900-1416168226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cabrillo

• 2 months later...

post-12901-0-24849600-1421792927_thumb.jpg

As I indicated in prior posts, I modified the mizzen to include a top sail and a top gallant. When finished they just did not look right. A little small yielding too much space between the bottom of the sail and the yard below. So off they came. This is the revised set up. I think it looks better. Can't get these darn photos to land correctly . I need to work on this! Yup the lakes are pretty frozen. Great shipbuilding weather!

Edited by Cabrillo

• 4 weeks later...

Making progress on the Main . The problem has been that I did not plan the belaying pins correctly and find very little space to work. Made the channels too thick and placed the pins too close to the bulkhead. It's a challenge but a good learning point for the next model!

• 2 months later...