Thinking things throu, the gunroom / gunner´s room

Hello Zeh,

for me it looks like the cabin of the 3. officer or lieutenant in the wardroom. What did you mean with the light in the bulwark, the thing above the cannon could be a mirror. 

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

The 'light in the bulwark' is a ventilation scuttle. These were fitted with an outward opening lid that had a 'U' hinge mounted sideways. There was one to each cabin. However, these were not shown on any draught that I've seen, only in some contemporary illustrations and paintings. The date of 1809 in your illustration shows that iron knees were already in common use.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 10 months later...

Just had a look through the thread and realised one small detail:

Many sources, especially the ones, do quite often not respect the lashing of the guns. 

AOTS Bellona: Look at the cabin right top. The bed/bunk/hammock would not fit there, neither under the barrel nor on top. Same the gun in the middle, the bed should be turned by 90°. The most aft gun should be ok.

Cabins-AOTS-Bellona_7304.jpg

Also Bellona: The cabin walls do not respect the lashing wich takes some space left and right the gun port. This reduces the size by quite a big proportion.

Cabins-AOTS-Bellona_7310.jpg

Better here: Here the Victory of 1737 ...

Cabins-Victory-1737_7332.jpg

These are the small details, one just realises by building all these items :-) 

This also has a big effect about the orientation of the beds/hammocks.

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

Hello Dafi

Taking for example Nelson's bunk we see it slung from the beams, so there is a degree

of freedom in choosing where to sling it from, to clear the breech of the gun for example.

what I tend to think, without any pretense of certainty is that the bunks were only slung at turn in time,

being unslung, collapsed and stowed against the bullwark.

Assuming they were not slung but fixed I really don't like an athwartship bunk,

most uncomfortable, trying to sleep with your head quite  lower than your feet.

All the best

Zeh

Nelsons bunk is hanging beside the gun :-)

HE had the space ;-)

XXXDAn

http://www.hms-victory.com/things-to-see/great-cabin

19.jpg

Good morning Dafi

I really failed to convey what I was thinking.

What I meant is that the bunk could be slung next to the bullwark or one meter inside,

giving it more room to swing without hitting anything, and the gun being lashed with the

muzzle up to the deckhead the breech would be lower and give a little bit extra space.

Anyway I would recomend to choose yous sleeping position with the head away from the

gun just in case the assumptions are wrong and the ship's roll makes the bunk hit the gun ;)

Cheers

Zeh

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished furbishing Mr. Rivers small cabin. You see he is leaving with a happy smile on his face :-)

Victory-gunroom_9591.jpg

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Happy because he had just found his missing Timing and Head Space Gage's. Nelsons bunk, shown hanging from the overhead beams must be in the in rigged position. The chest between it and the gun shown with the drawers opening under the bunk, would indicate that the bunk was not always rigged, heck, you need to keep the Servant busy doing something, such as rigging and un-rigging that bunk, keep them busy, makes for a happy crew.

jud :pirate41:

Timing and Headspace Gages?????   Did he have a time machine in his room?   :D  :D

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)