HM Schooner Pickle by rshousha - Caldercraft - My First Caldercraft Kit!

Boy, for your first attempt she looks pretty darn good. I have never done coppering yet but can only imagine what it is like, other option is the perfect hull which is not easy either. Once she completed and in her resting place she will look awesome. Great work

Four days to get the other side done. Phew. It looks a little better than the starboard side because I was a little more careful bending each plate carefully. Still, I think this would be much better with CA glue. Oh, well, the fun is to accept compromises. 

The next job is fitting the capping rails. 

Regards 

Rick 

post-2920-0-85872700-1454270368_thumb.jpg

post-2920-0-87354000-1454270370_thumb.jpg

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 3 weeks later...

Capping rails installed. There's still a little work to be done to add a piece of capping rail across the transom but she's coming along nicely. 

Next, is the installation of the eyelets inside the bulwarks all around. 

I'm looking for that worn look and it seems like the deck is looking pretty good, with a lighter color where the men walk back and forth. 

post-2920-0-19616200-1456078314_thumb.jpg

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Looks good Rick, another big step done. What do I see in the background, looks like another build on the way :)

Hi Rick

Great work - Pickle looks really good.

So, it's time for the eyelets....

My advice, if you haven't already done so - make a template of some sort.

Here's comments from my build:

"After messing around with the first few measurements using all sorts of devices, I came across the idea of making a template. I took a    piece of waste planking and measured, marked and finally drilled holes for all four of the required positions (i.e. 2 each side of each gun-port). It was then easy to simply place my template against each gun-port side and drill/mark the position for each hole through my pre-drilled template. I then removed the template and completed the hole drilling using a drill vice. Finally, I cut to length and using super-glue fitted all the eyelets around the gun-ports".

I also seem to remember seeing much more sophisticated versions in some logs - main thing is - whatever works for you!!

Enjoy

John

Hi John,

I will take your advice on the eyelets, thanks.

What you see in the background is my laser-cut version of Mediator. According to a friend, who asked me for these frames, it is the "best frame system he's seen in fifty years of building model ships". Unfortunately, I am not able to share these frames with anyone as the designer of the plans forbade me from advertising that this service is available for his items. 

I will not be building the model; it is only there for reference, in case someone wants to see the quality of my laser-cutting. 

Regards, 

Rick 

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 7 months later...

I have a question about installing the gunport pattern. I think the directions state that the  pattern should be GLUED and pinned to the bulkhead uprights even though they will be removed later. Am I reading this correctly?

Herb

Edited by iiihmb

Hi Herb,

Indeed, you are reading it right but I think you are misinterpreting what needs to be removed. I sense you think the gun port pattern needs to be removed. What gets removed are the bulkheads. Yes, they are a bit of a pain to remove but they come away eventually. The gun port pattern becomes the inside layer of the bulwark. 

Cheers, 

Rick 

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Hi Herb

My only other comment would be was that, as opposed to what the instructions say, I added the False Deck and planked and sealed it before going any further (see page 11 of your manual). The reason for this was that a) by doing it this way, I had easy access to 'below decks' which is obviously restricted when the gun port patterns are fixed in place.... and  I could practice some 3-shift butting which, if I messed it up wouldn't be seen anyway!!

Enjoy

John

It's coming along great. Hope drilling for the eyelets go according to plan.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I beg to differ. I did put the main deck in early because my main keel was twisted. By inserting the deck early (see my earlier posts) I was able to straighten out the whole assembly. It worked out nicely. 

Best Regards, 

Rick 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Capping rails installed. There's still a little work to be done to add a piece of capping rail across the transom but she's coming along nicely. 

Next, is the installation of the eyelets inside the bulwarks all around. 

I'm looking for that worn look and it seems like the deck is looking pretty good, with a lighter color where the men walk back and forth.

nice  build Rick,

the copper sheeting is well done...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks guys. I really, really, have to put this back on the workbench. With my bad eyesight, the discovery of using 3D CAD programs to design stuff has been such a pleasure. I can magnify, and magnify, and magnify to my heart's content. 

OK, I'll put it back in work this week, promise. 

Cheers, 

Rick

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 1 year later...

Greetings. To those who have been waiting breathlessly for me to get back to working on this model, I wanted to let you know that I have a new pair of glasses on the way. Perhaps I will be able to see the thing. 

In the meantime, I am currently working on a 1/10 scale stagecoach kit from Amati. Since it has nothing to do with ships, I won't be posting it here but it sure is a nice kit. 

Cheers, 

Rick 

Rick Shousha

Montreal