Prins Willem 1650 by Michiel - 1:50 - POB Zeeland ship from own plans

I'm working a bit in parallel some on the outsize some on the inside, here's the progress on the gun deck. 40 rings made and installed. 32 for rigging the guns and 8 more on the hatches...

overloop9.jpg

Now I need to think carefully what else to put on the deck before I start placing guns/beams and knees... There are still some chicken egg problems there I need to find a solution to ...

the first next thing here will probably be the lanterns that still have to be put covering the led's

Have a nice weekend,

Michiel

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

Nice pictures Janos looks really realistic

I'll probably make my standing rigging a bit darker, its really covered by a thick tar layer originally

Thanks Druxey nice to see you like it a lot.

more pictures soon...

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

I've been experimenting abit with Focus stacking, Here's one of my first attemps.

overloop.stack2.jpg

16 images with logitech c920 combineZP software

Does any one have more experience?

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

• 1 month later...

Next week we will be  moving, the entire workshop has been packed :(

so it will be some time before there will be more from my side. Here's a final picture before the move:

hull20.jpg

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Have a safe move, Michiel.  We'll see you when you're settled into the new place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Great model and shop........

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

some progress on the cabin, its almost done now. The beams are in place, gunrack placed and I made the rack with tin plates:

kajuit5.JPG

best,

Michiel

Edited by Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Beautiful details, Michiel.   I had to look twice to see the plates.  Everything goes together that good!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to hunt for some fabric to makes soms sheets for the bed. That's the last piece on the picture not yet fixed. For the rest I'm still not sure wether is comlpete now. Maybe I should add a map on the table. Anyway, working on the cabin is a nice side project next to the hatches of the gun ports.

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

• 3 weeks later...

two very small updates:

kajuit6.JPG

the smaller of the two made it to the model

kajuit7-fles2.JPG

Typically shaped VOC wine bottle

kajuit8.JPG

still no luck with fabric....

the gun ports on port are almost finished, I hope to to show them soon,

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

• 2 weeks later...

I finally placed the last gun port lids...

hull21c.jpg

hull21d.jpg

now I see one of the inner rings is missing ...

Best,

Michiel

Edited by Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Michiel,

I've been reading your build and enjoyed every picture till now. This is an awsome ship and some impressive images! I'm glad to see you've started up the build again succesfully after your move. (Is Leuven the place of your shipyard now? I used to live there myself, but i'm not sure the draught of the 'Prins Willem' wil fit the 'Dijle').

Nice gun port lids, especially against de coulour of the wooden background of the hull. I couldn't quite find the exact finish you've used to get this realistic effect out of the wood; I read something about you using danish oil. Is this the first and final layer or is there more to this trick? I've tried different strategies myself on oak, using  a vinagar and rust mix, followed bij sanding to give the wood a vintage look, this was quite succesfull, but ... the final finish (oil or laquer on alkyd or acrylic base, both in egg-gloss or matt finish) did not give a satisfying result. I'm curious how you tackled this problem.

Looking forward to seeing more of this impressive build,

Diederik

Edited by Spijkertje

Hi Diederik,

Nice to hear you enjoy my build. Yes it's Leuven now, my wife's at the uni here, I myself started in the other Louvain ... I think, my scale on the Dijle will be like the real one on the Westerschelde.

I only use danish oil, well actually it's called wood oil as is sold in the shops in Germany. It is applied in various layers. It mainly brings the wood grain out very nicely. On cherry wood you end up with a a grain size that is in my view a nice scale representation of the oak scale. The only problem is that it becomes a bit too shiny. It works but it's not really the final word. Maybe one could apply a final layer of diffuse lacker at the very end.

Are you building something? There are also some nice Dutch fora, especially if you like this kind of ships.

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

Thanks for the information Michiel.

I'll start experimenting with different types of oil and different amounts of layers. Hopefully the result will come somewhere near yours. I think the shine will only get stronger with a final layer of lacker and my experience with blank matt lacker on acrylic base often gives a white mist effect (something to do with the crystals in the paint).

I also like the blackened effect on the wooden fenders (not sure about the right english translation of 'berghout'), the balance between gloss vs matt looks spot on. Is this paint on alkyd or acrylic base?

I myself am buildling the Unicorn (if you google "La Licorne De Eenhoorn Spijkertje" you can't miss it). There are indeed quite a lot of active modelshipbuilders and nice fora in de Benelux, where i've found loads of tips and info up till now.

Succes with the build, and again; thanks for the advice

Diederik

Edited by Spijkertje

The wales are ebony... no paint at all. A hell to bend though so I'm not sure wether I would recomment to do that as well.

This oil is like danish oil, a mixture of line seed oil and tarnish

nice work on yours, you're aslo building a scratch 7p?

Best,

Michiel

Edited by Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre

The wales are ebony... no paint at all....

....nice work on yours, you're aslo building a scratch 7p?

Best,

Michiel

That explains it, suppose worth trying myself. My wales don't have such a sharp bend / sheer as those on the PW have, so the bending proces shouldn't be the biggest problem...finding a place to buy the ebony might be....

Thanks, yes about 1 year ago I starten a scratch build of the Seven Provinces (following the original plans of GCDik) together with a 'statenjacht', both in scale 1:87.  I'm considering restaring the build using the plans of Otte Blom and upscaling it to 1:72. First I'll do my best to finish the Unicorn in the next year or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful, love the lines of the Dutch boats.  I like the lights, very different.  Exceptional detailed.  I will follow this built of yours.  I need to look up this book you are using to build this model.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks Marc,

About the book, yes it's nice but not too historically correct. In this period the Dutch ships were by far not standardized. There are a couple of remaining original modes and two original books. Ketting took the Prins Willem model and mixed in information from the written sources, and made up some of the blanks. I started following the book closely but more and more I'm making corrections to be more historically correct.

the closest to historically correct is currently the work by Ab Hoving, reconstructing the Pinas described in Witsens book:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/AbHoving.htm

Best,

Michiel

Current:

HMS Beagle - OcCre