Jump to content

Prins Willem 1650 by Michiel - 1:50 - POB Zeeland ship from own plans


Recommended Posts

What was done before part 3:

 

some more details shots:

 

bedrading.JPG

batteries and switch for the lighting

 

binnenwand.JPG

inner planking

 

snijsels.JPG

First carving

 

kajuit1.JPG

Cabin

 

raam.JPG

More carving

 

hull16c.jpg

just before painting...

 

hull15a.JPG

 

Have fun,

Michiel

Edited by Michiel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jan,

 

We just had a many page discussion on the schaarstokken... including comments from Ab,

 

But I think your right in all drawings of pinas's they do, the thing is that the hatch is rather large here, I stick to Ketting and with the batteries there I can't make it smaller. The distance between the main schaarstokken is now ~7 feet, and with that is fits nicely around the other hatches and the anker spill. So it's a bit of a compromise..

 

Best,

Michiel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Alex

 

The nails in the hull (cherry planks) are made from chestnut thorns

 

like this:

 

treenailingtheull.JPG

 

I drill 0.5 mm holes, then I pull a thorn from a shell a dip it in some glue and stick it in. When it's dry I cut most of with a small pair of scissors and than sand it further. Finally a scrape the entire section and apply danish oil. For the deck planks I find the thorns to dark and I just use tooth picks, without any further processing, just pushing them in so that they fill the 0.5mm hole. Again after oiling you get a very nice contrast due to the grain direction difference.

 

The planks I make black on the sides with shoe polish from a tube with sponge, (the sponge is attached to the tube). You get the best result if you sand the side just a bit as well, especially the short sides. The shoe polish is instantly sufficiently dry and does not get into the wood. The sanding does fill the space between the planks a bit which may seem to diminish the effect. However, after applying the oil they come out nicely again (not if you apply a lacker though! then the sand dust stays in there and makes the effort in vain.). Obviously for a bit more historically correct color you could use a dark brown polish... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I showed a picture before of a single musket, the rack is new. Next thing here will be a rack over the windows for dining plates. There will be an other bench on the aft side as well, eventually. I also finished the bed for the captain but it still needs sheets and a blanket.

 

the wiring for the candle runs through one of the legs, I drilled a 0.5 mm hole through a toothpick....

 

Best,

Michiel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...