HMS Agamemnon by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Slightly modified version

Thanks everyone... Im quite happy on how she is looking. It was a bit touch and go for a while as I didn't know how the ochre colour would work but Im glad I went that avenue.

Onwards!

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Everyone: Managed to finish the deck furniture on the Agamemnon. Still have to add the pinrails but I have managed to finish the deck planking, fife rails and the big stuff. I plan to work on the stern ornamentation for a while for a change and then get back and finish the pin rails. Still have channels and cat heads to finish before I can start thinking about rigging.

So much work still ahead...

Wish me luck

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-37297400-1390763785_thumb.jpg

post-360-0-52961200-1390763816_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

Excellent work. The decks look great. Looking forward to the stern ornaments.

Russ

Hi Mike,

Great pictures !

Good luck with the ornaments.

But.......the second cannon on starboard side is loose....

You have to fix that ! :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: I have managed to now complete the stern ornamentation on the Agamemnon (it has been easy when you have had 4 days of -30c). I found it went easier than planned. I had concerns that things wouldn't line up properly but I found out that if you took your time everything fit in nicely. For some reason I seem to have more room on the upper stern gallery so I took the liberty of adding some scroll work just to fill in the stern gallery.

My next step now is to get the catheads on the bow and then start working on gunport lids and then channels..

Enjoy the pic

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-24741800-1392278480_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike it is good to see your Aggie again.  I just found your build log and went through it.  Your workmanship is as outstand as usual.  I will be watching your build closely.  Too bad you do not have the sufficient time to work on her all the time.  PS  Here in Waterloo IA and in Chicago beat you out on the cold temps for the past few weeks.

David B

David; I would believe it if you kids were beating us in cold weather... you kids down in central Canada and US have been getting pummeled this winter...we had a warm spell that made us the warmest place in Canada.. unfortunately we were paying for it this week with temps around -38c. But its breaking this weekend so we can emerge from our houses and hang outside for more than 5 minutes...

Thanks on the comments everyone. I am glad I have this part completed as I had some trepidation on how it was going to look. Now get the catheads done and move onward to the channels and gunport lids!

Mike Draper

Whitehorse

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

Well done. The ornamentation and the color scheme all look great.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Everyone: Its been a while.. have been busy getting the deck furniture finished off and I am now working on the lower gunport lids.. what a repetitive chore that has turned out to be.. Took a pic outside for a change as we are getting some great weather north of 60.. I have the lids finished on the lower gunports on the port side and Im halfway through on the starboard. Once they are done I will work one level up.

then it will be the channels and chainplates.. this hull will never be done.

Its good to see other lads out there taking up the Aggy challenge. She is a big beast for sure and takes a lot of your time.. Im really hoping I can get at the rigging by the fall and be somewhere near the progress that Mobbsie is making..

Enjoy

Mike Draper

post-360-0-61931500-1401167270_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

She is looking really good. The port lids look great. Keep it going. :)

Russ

Nice work Mike. Keep on trucking and maybe Amati's Bellona will be on the market by the time you finish her.... Maybe...

Hang in there big guy. One step, one day at a time. You are going to  be amazed at the finished product. 

Mort  

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 3 months later...

Everyone: It has been awhile since I have posted but I have been making some progress (slowed down by work and some play outside!) but I am getting through the gunport lids and channels. I have been working on getting the gunport lids, channels and Deadeyes done on the port side first. I have also added a set of braces on the channels that I have seen on some plans and models of 64 gun ships so I took a educated guess that the Agamemnon had them as well. I will finish off now with the deadeyes and then work on getting the starboard done.

Once I get this done I will finish on the bow details and the rudder and then take a small break to build a Woody joe kit I bought in Japan of a Japanese temple I visited in Japan (Horyu Ji). I figure it will take a month to get it built and after its done I will get at the rigging of the Agamemnon. But I will post some more pics when I get the hull work finished,,

Mike Draper

post-360-0-25937800-1410678484_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 6 months later...

Everyone: Updated pics of my "diamond in the rough". I am making progress on my Agamemnon. Getting the chainplates and channels installed. I have put additional braces on the upper side of the channels which seems to be on a lot of the navy style models of 64s and 74s. I have also finished getting copper plates on the rudder but it isn't going to be installed until the deck work is all done (ie hammock netting). Some things are not painted or completed but I am finally making progress and the weather is nice enough to take a pic of my Aggy outside!

Have a good one

Mike Draper

post-360-0-26825700-1426967386_thumb.jpg

post-360-0-03591700-1426967435_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

The hull looks great. Looking forward to rigging.

Russ

• 1 year later...

Hey Everybody: I have been not posting too much on this forum as I have been distracted with another model project. A couple of years ago I visited Japan and I was lucky to be steered towards the line of Woody Joe kits. And as a souvenir I decided to grab a couple of kits of the temples that I had visited while I was over there. Attached is one of the kits completed -the Horyu Ji temple -unfortunately the Agamemnon had to go in a holding pattern for that time.. good news is that I finished the temple a month ago and Im back at the Agamemnon. I have started the masts and bowsprit and will post some pics soon..

While it was great to work on the temple Im glad to now make that final push to mast and rig the Agamemnon.. stay tuned for more progress shots..

Mike Draper

(in the midst of the heat wave in the Yukon)

post-360-0-11877200-1460427943_thumb.jpg

post-360-0-54742800-1460428131_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

Welcome back mate.

It would appear you have a little dusting down to do before get back into the build.

I built the same Pagoda a short time ago, it went together beautifully, lovely little kit and the perfect alternative to ships.

Looking forward to some updates on the Aggy mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

beautiful looking model Mike,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey Mobbsie: Thanks for the posting. Its great to hear that there is another ship modeler that has indulged in a woody joe kit. it was a refreshing break from the 64 gun ship. Working on the masts now.. going a lot easier than I had originally planned. Will post some pics later this week.

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada