HMS Agamemnon by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Slightly modified version

Everyone: So to get the progress of my Caldercraft back into this folder, attached is my most recent progress of My Aggy. I have the stern and gallery windows. I now have the spar deck on and have begun planking the deck as well. Once I have that completed I will provide a updated pic of that as well

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-06374000-1362151959.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Mike,

Good to see  you and Aggy back.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Everyone: More pics for my progress folder. The first one I had posted earlier but got lost -shows the rigging work I had done on the upper gun deck. A bit of work but worth it. The next photo is a quick pic of the progress that I have completed so far.. have the spar deck half planked (still needs to be sanded and treenailed).

Once the planks are all done I will get the bulwarks planked and then finish off with the grates and deck furniture and then I can finally start on the stern ornamentation and channels on the bow and port side.. finally some tangible progress! :-)

Glad to see this forum getting back up to full speed after the crash... Great stuff!

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-28394900-1362244149.jpg

post-360-0-68570400-1362244165_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 months later...

Everyone: With the days getting longer and the snow finally melting I have now made some noticeable progress. I have managed to get forecastle area filled up with some deck furniture and capped with rails. I took the liberty and painted the railings and fiferails modeling after the models I have seen in the Preble collection at Annapolis. After treenailing the upper deck I thought this would go fast but it has been a lot of picky work. Hope you enjoy the pic

Now with that done I will move to getting the deck furniture done around the main mast as well as get some guns populating that area.

Its good to see a few other Agamemnons on the forum.. great beast of a project for sure.

Have a good one

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-35379600-1367818322_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

Nice work. Glad to see you are still at it. :)

Russ

Thanks Russ.. been a bit of a slog with the treenailing and getting the rails completed but I think Im starting to make some progress

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

The best work takes some time. :)

Your paint job is really good. The yellow ochre looks spot on.

Russ

Welcome back. Keep those pix coming. The build looks great.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Everyone: Thanks for the compliments. This model has been taking a lot longer than I have planned but I have been happy with the progress (it would be nice if I could more time away from work!) If you haven't noticed I have using colour schemes that I saw on some models in Annapolis (pic attached). While there is quite a bit of red I like how it contrasts with the black. While I have been trying to follow what my references say the Aggy could have looked like I did take a bit of artistic licence on the colour of the beams and pinrails around the masts. 

Again.. thanks for the compliments on the aggy.. so far.. so good!

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-12902900-1367904003_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 6 months later...

Everyone: Its been a few months since I have posted some progress shots but with the firewood piled and the temps outside around -30c I have been making amazing progress on my Agamemnon. :) I have managed to finish most of the work on the spar deck (still need to add some stairs) but before I add the rear poop deck I thought I would take a few quick pics. The work was a bit slow as I fully rigged the guns as well as treenailed the hull. I am glad to see this work finally done. I will get the stairs in that run from the spar deck to the lower gun deck but I really would like to get the work done on the rear poop deck so expect some planking pics soon!

Sorry for taking so long but life seem to keep me out of trouble these days...

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-89427800-1385004920_thumb.jpg

post-360-0-17630700-1385004944_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

The guns look good. Nice work on the quarter deck fittings.

Russ

Mike:

The guns look good. Nice work on the quarter deck fittings.

Russ

Hey Russ: Thanks... they were what seem to take the most time to complete. I am sure glad that is the last of the guns to rig...

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

Welcome back. The old girl looks great. One question, why did you repaint the lifeboat skids black?  

Thanks,

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Hi Mike,

Welcome back. The old girl looks great. One question, why did you repaint the lifeboat skids black?  

Thanks,

Mort

Mort: Im impressed that you noticed. The reason I repainted the lifeboat skids black was that looking at the overall look of the ship there seem to be too much red. I did some researching (eg. looking at pics of models from Preble collection) and figured out there were 3 colours for the skids.. natural wood, black or red.. So.. I wasn't interested in getting the skids back to a natural wood tone, and the red was too much soo.. what was left was black. I do like the look now with the black skids but red would have worked as well.

Now.. don't ask me if I have decided what colour Im going to paint the boats that are going to sit on the skids :)

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

I have become very interested in the painting of British warships of late since I am building the HMS Snake, the Diana next followed by the Victory. At least that is the plan. I was very impressed with the painting of British frigates in Rob Gardners latest book. I had never noticed red skids before - only black and natural - not that I should be surprised. In retrospect it does make perfect sense. I hope one day to build a 74 - are you listening Caldercraft - Thanks for the quick reply and please the posts coming.

Your build is very impressive,

Mort

Hi Mike,

I have become very interested in the painting of British warships of late since I am building the HMS Snake, the Diana next followed by the Victory. At least that is the plan. I was very impressed with the painting of British frigates in Rob Gardners latest book. I had never noticed red skids before - only black and natural - not that I should be surprised. In retrospect it does make perfect sense. I hope one day to build a 74 - are you listening Caldercraft - Thanks for the quick reply and please the posts coming.

Your build is very impressive,

Mort

Hey Mort: My building of the Agamemnon has got me interested in the painting schemes of the British ships during that time which resulted in me using a more ochre colour in my Agamemnon. I was always fascinated in how some of the Agamemnons out there were using a more bring yellow colour while everything I found indicated using ochre. In any case I was happy with the results when the paint dried.. as far as the colour of the skids, I was looking at models from the Preble collection and was emulating the look they had (thus the red colour) but when I looked at it and decided it was a little too much I decided to fall back on the black colour which definitely toned down the overall look and now in hindsight is probably more accurate.

As far as progress shots... now that winter is well under way here I will be making more progress that can be noticed (the rigging of the guns was a long haul). And again.. thanks for the comments

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

I didn't know that those beams are calling skits....

Learn something again !

Are you using Admiralty paint ?

I have the Aggy in a box under my workbench and I want to start building at the first of January.

I try to catch as much information what I can and following all the aggy logs on this and other forums.

If my Aggy turns out half as good as yours I'm a happy camper !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Hi Mike,

I didn't know that those beams are calling skits....

Learn something again !

Are you using Admiralty paint ?

I have the Aggy in a box under my workbench and I want to start building at the first of January.

I try to catch as much information what I can and following all the Sggy logs on this and other forums.

If my Aggy turns out half as good as yours I'm a happy camper !

Sjors: First, thanks for the compliment on my Agamemnon.. I have been putting a lot of work into her for the last couple of years and its nice to see her finally turn out the way I had envisioned. As far as the deck beams called skids, I did look through my reference books I didn't see any reference to the deck beams called "skids" but for discussion purposes it works for me.

The paints I use are from Model Shipways, Its their dealer line of acrylic paints and I have applied them using a brush or airbrush. They work great and I have been happy with them. I have heard admiralty paint as well Vallejo paints work equally well. One thing I would point out that when I paint a wooden hull I first seal the hull with a Polyurethane, then sand it with 600grit sandpaper to eliminate any "fuzz" that may occur on the wood. I then add a primer to the wood and once that is dry then apply the paint. I found acrylic paint needs several coats to get the final finish that I prefer.

As mentioned earlier I have done a few modifications to the kit (ie replacing the dummy guns on the lower gun deck with full gun and carriages) but I have found it to be a great kit. You have something to look forward to!

I will have more pics later next week as I get the poop deck completed.

Enjoy

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Edited by Kusawa2000

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

Thanks !

When you paint the hull is that means also the inner planking and all that stuff?

So not only the hull but all the wood parts.

You seal the hull first with....Polyurethane ( have to look how you wrote it :D )

When I buy the Aggy, I also have bought the Admiralty paint.

It was cheaper to do it together then alone the Aggy.

I hope I can start on her at the first of January.

I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Mick,

Thanks !

When you paint the hull is that means also the inner planking and all that stuff?

So not only the hull but all the wood parts.

You seal the hull first with....Polyurethane ( have to look how you wrote it  :D )

When I buy the Aggy, I also have bought the Admiralty paint.

It was cheaper to do it together then alone the Aggy.

I hope I can start on her at the first of January.

I'm looking forward to it!

Sjors: any piece of the hull that was to be painted a colour than left as natural wood was subject to my process. Yes.. I use Polyurethane to see the wood as I have found if you try painting it even with a  primer the primer tends to raise wood fibers and make the wood appear to have fuzz.

Glad to hear you bought the Agamemnon kit. You wont be disappointed.

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: Not a lot of progress in this bundle of pics but I have managed to get the rear poop deck planked, treenailed and have the railing capped. It took a bit of work but I can now finally say that I have finished decking the Agamemnon. Of course I have to fill in the details. I also noticed I haven't installed the steps on the port and starboard side of the mid hull so that is my next small project. A lot to still do before I can even think about rigging her..

Enjoy the pics

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

post-360-0-61984100-1387173732_thumb.jpg

post-360-0-55718700-1387173756_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

The decks look very good. I like how the color scheme is coming together between decks, bulwarks, and outer hull.

Russ