HMS Agamemnon by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Slightly modified version

Hey Mobbsie: I have to send a "thank you" your way. I was translating the plans for the fighting top on the foremast and I was not having much luck figuring out how the lower foremast configured with the fighting top. I found your pics you posted back in 2014 and they were a big help.. so thanks getting that information out there.. saved me a bit of time in educated guessing. :-)

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mike,

Glad she's still coming in useful mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey Mobbsie: I have your postings bookmarked as I will assume I will have a few more "what the hecks?" with these plans.. thanks again. While I have some support books that can help me out its always good to have pictures to work from.

Thanks again

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone: Just a quick update.. working on getting the masts installed. Don't remember this being as much work as it has been. Managed to get the lower foremast completed and now working on the lower main mast. It will be good to get these done as Im keen on getting started on the shrouds and ratlines (I know I will regret that statement but Im keen to start rigging).

Anyhow, enjoy the quick pic

Mike Draper

post-360-0-61454900-1462518193_thumb.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike:

She looks really good. Keep plugging away and you will get there. :)

Russ

• 2 years later...

Everyone: Its been a long time since I posted any progress.. in fact a VERY long time.. Got distracted with life and work but thanks to some fellow ship modelers and friends and family, I have got back into working on my Caldercraft Agamemnon. In the last few weeks, I have managed to get the masts built and started on the standing rigging. Its been really great for me to get back into it.. in fact the first few nights working on her I spent looking for parts and pieces that were sitting on the desk collecting dust! Im on a roll now and hope to get her done in the next year... Its been great checking out the other new Agamemnon's out there that are now located on the Forum.

With winter now settled in the Yukon (-21c tonite) I will have more time on my hands to tackle the Aggy.

Hope you enjoy the pics

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

It's great to see you made your way back,  Aggie still looks good, even better with more rigging done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mike:

Have fun. She looks great and I look forward to seeing more progress. 

Russ

welcome home. you were missed

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Yo Mike,

Welcome back!  It is good to see Aggie back in the blocks.  I missed you in Vegas.  I was lost without my dinner partner.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

6 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Yo Mike,

Welcome back!  It is good to see Aggie back in the blocks.  I missed you in Vegas.  I was lost without my dinner partner.

Hey Chuck: I really wanted to go to Vegas but my son is competing full time in Biathlon and needed to get some $$ his direction... I heard a good time was had by all

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 1 year later...

As you can see its been a while since my last post. I was planning to wait until I had finished all of the ratlines, shrouds and stays but I decided to post so pictures of my latest effort. Life and work had delayed any progress for a while but I have decided to get back at it to make that final push to completion. Part of that was deciding that I needed to get the Agamemnon done and part was my interest in starting the Modelshipworld/NRG  Chuck Passaros Winchelsea project. In any case Im looking to get the standing rigging done and then look to rig it with running rigging with sails.  So far with the ratlines nearly done and getting some progress into stays and shrouds Im feeling that the end could be in sight soon (I can try to optimistic 🙂 

Enjoy

Mike Draper 

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Please hang on now Mike. Your model looks so nice. What else can be done at this time of the year when you live at 60 deg north latitude? Clearing snow or..... finishing Aggy?

Kind regards

Henrik (on latitude 58 deg north) 

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

10 hours ago, Henke said:

Please hang on now Mike. Your model looks so nice. What else can be done at this time of the year when you live at 60 deg north latitude? Clearing snow or..... finishing Aggy?

Kind regards

Henrik (on latitude 58 deg north) 

Henrik: Actually this winter has been pretty warm and as a result not a lot of snow.. but for us we are now down to 4 hours of daylight so its giving us lots of time to work on indoor projects. The push is on to get the Aggy finished.. lots of work ahead of me still. 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike,

Just wondering if you remember me, Richard from Calgary, was on a forum with you when I was building my Endeavour and you were building your Connie I think this was back around 2004/2005 could have been before this as well hope all is well with yourself and family.

Here is a picture you sent me dated March 2005, love to see a finished ship are there pictures on this site?

P9Y4K1.jpg

E5pX2m.jpg

Also did get to visit Whitehorse back in 2012 when my wife and I visited Anchorage Alaska on our Motorbike, sorry did not know how to contact you would have loved to meet up.

Here are couple of pic's of your lovely place

QE0llw.jpg

BgJ7tz.jpg

DI2dlD.jpg

I do like how your Agamemnon is coming along got to get back on mine.

Regards

Richard 

13 minutes ago, Retired guy said:

Hi Mike,

Just wondering if you remember me, Richard from Calgary, was on a forum with you when I was building my Endeavour and you were building your Connie I think this was back around 2004/2005 could have been before this as well hope all is well with yourself and family.

Here is a picture you sent me dated March 2005, love to see a finished ship are there pictures on this site?

P9Y4K1.jpg

E5pX2m.jpg

Also did get to visit Whitehorse back in 2012 when my wife and I visited Anchorage Alaska on our Motorbike, sorry did not know how to contact you would have loved to meet up.

Here are couple of pic's of your lovely place

QE0llw.jpg

BgJ7tz.jpg

DI2dlD.jpg

I do like how your Agamemnon is coming along got to get back on mine.

Regards

Richard 

Richard: Its great that you got a chance to get up to my neck of the woods.. Too bad we didn't meet up as I could have showed you some pretty amazing areas in the back country. I had some friends up last summer and I took them for a 3 day boat trip down the 90 mile long Tagish Lake and did some wilderness camping. Maybe you can get back here some day soon. Yes.. I did manage to finish my Constitution. Here are some pics that I took when she was finally finished. I was actually got a chance to see her last fall in Boston. It was a really surreal experience for me actually standing on her decks. 

I just finished working on the Aggy tonite.. ripped out some of the ratlines and redid them as I didnt like how they looked. I will be loading some new pics soon. Good to hear from you!

MIKE

DSC02663.JPG

DSC02662.JPG

DSC02704.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

was worth waiting for. she looks great

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Your Connie is brilliant Mike glad you do remember me, live on the Island now so one day we will meet up but until then will be watching your fantastic HMS Agamemnon

Regards

Richard

hey long time no hear! When did  you move down to the island? I envy you... I could handle that weather over the Yukon! I will be posting some more pics of the Agamemnon soon

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike hope you had a great Christmas moved to the Island Sept 2018 just didn't like the Calgary winters anymore 😄

Can't remember what the site we were on back in the day was it this one? anyway hope you have a great new year and will look forward to seeing your next update on the Agamemnon.

Regards

Richard 

Richard: I think it was SMF forum that was where we hanging out talking ship modelling. I should be getting a new pic update soon.. Made some good progress the last couple of days... I hope you have a good new years as well! 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: I never thought I would see the day where the ratlines were finally done.. and they are.. I have started on the stays and hope to have them done soon. We have had a bout of very cold weather here in the Yukon... we are on our second week of -40c and it has been a great motivator in making some progress. Once i get the stays done I will start constructing the spars and maybe even make a launch or 2 as a side project. I may get this beast done after all! 🙂 

Mike Draper

(alive at -42c)

IMG_4248.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Man that looks good Mike 👍

Was reading another post regarding you have a CD on your build, regarding how you went about doing the guns on the lower deck any chance I could get a copy.

Just looking at some emails I printed off dated Jan 2004 when Richard Traut was building his Aggy I wonder how he is? you sent me a copy of Juliers article on the building of the Aggy still got it, also in the email from Richard Traut he says the drawings were a problem he could not trust them for any measurements, did you have any issues.

Regards

Richard