HMS Agamemnon by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper) - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Slightly modified version

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Boy that looks huge.  Its looking really great.   

Chuck: Thanks! Actually when I starting making the paper templates for the sails I was a bit surprised how big the sails were. I actually double checked my measurements to make sure. I suspect if anyone wanted to full rig the Winchelsea with sails she would leave quite a impression as well! 

I will be posting some pics as soon as I can get some sails rigged on her. Im stoked.. its been a long time getting to this point

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone: Its been a while since I have posted progress shots...mainly because I have been working on the launches which has been maddingly slow work and I have also been waiting for my sails to be made by my good friend Wendy. Well, the sails have arrived and Im keen to get started on the final stage of rigging my Agamemnon. Its been a very long haul but its great to now be ready to start the final chapter. I will keep everyone posted as they get rigged to the Agamemnon.

Enjoy

MIKE

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 1 month later...

Everyone: Its been a while but I finally have a sail on the ole Agamemnon. Its been a lot of trial and error but I have the lower fore course. Still have a lot of fiddling to do but I want to get the rest of the sails on the foremast rigged before I start trimming lines. In any case, its a good feeling to finally have made some progress

first sail.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Everyone: Just a quick update pic. Got most of the rigging done on the lower fore course either than leech lines and clew lines. Plan to get the sails up first for the foremast before I get the leech and clew lines done. And Im holding off tying all the lines down permanent I get all the rigging done. I find each sail has its own personality and in turn affects other sails so until all the rigging is done I keep my options open 🙂

More pics to come soon! 

Mike Draper

20210309_213250.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Everyone: Managed to get the foretop sail on last night. There is still a lot of rigging to be added but its roughly in the place where I want it. Its good to finally see some progress at my end. Getting the sails in the place where you want them and trimmed right is a painful exercise with tweezers and a visor.. and now Im working up the mast, its more standing than sitting. 

More pics to follow! 

Mike Draper

20210315_010300.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: Just a quick progress pic.. the foremast sails are mostly rigged.. leaving the bowlines and brace lines off for now until I get the job sails up. Now Im going to tackle the main mast lower course. Im still amazed how large these sails are!

Mike Draper

20210404_092727.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

1 hour ago, rshousha said:

Can't believe there are two of these in Whitehorse! This must be the highest density of Agamemnon models in the world! Well done!

Gord (the other Agememnon builder) have met up and talked "shop" and had a good giggle over the fact we were building the same ship...

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 1 month later...

Everyone: a quick update on the rigging of sails on the Agamemnon. Finally got the lower main course sail on.. its size has a advantage its weight helps keep the rigging line tight! 

More pics to come soon

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

20210405_091534.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

20 minutes ago, rshousha said:

You are doing an amazing job with this model! It will be quite a piece when it's finished. Well done, and thank you for sharing this work. 

Rick: And thanks for the post! I have to admit there are some days I wonder what I was thinking when I decided to put sails on the Agamemnon but it does add a whole different dynamic to the ship. 

Thanks again

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 5 months later...

Everyone: Its been a while but I have managed to get the all of the square sails on the Agamemnon. While there is still some rigging to do on the square sails I am holding off on that until I can get the stay sails on her and then I will finally see the light in the end of the tunnel. 

Its been a slog in making any progress but its good to see it starting to come together... Especially with the Winchelsea waiting in the wings!

progress oct 21.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

I had the good fortune of spending a few hours at Jotika a couple of weeks ago and saw all their models in one place, including the Surprise they built so many years ago. I have to say Agamemnon really stands proudly among those models. 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

1 hour ago, rshousha said:

I had the good fortune of spending a few hours at Jotika a couple of weeks ago and saw all their models in one place, including the Surprise they built so many years ago. I have to say Agamemnon really stands proudly among those models. 

Rick: That would be cool to visit and see all of their models. Did you happen to get any information on the release date of the Surprise kit?  

Also,, found there is 2 Agamemnons in the Yukon. Found another fellow ship modeler north of 60. Its good to know Im not the only one alone in the wilderness. 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Hi Mike, 

Indeed, you and I have spoken before. I sold several Jotika kits to Gordon.

I cannot speak on the production schedule for Surprise but I can tell you the company is very busy building kits as fast as they can. They are especially busy with their fabulous Victory kit. 

Yes, it was a very informative meeting. They showed me all their machines and we discussed construction methods and manufacturing philosophies at length.  I was completely sold on their products before I went there and now I have really drunk the Kool-Aid, as they say. I honestly don't think there's a better ship kit manufacturer anywhere.

Cheers, 

Rick 

Edited by rshousha

Rick Shousha

Montreal

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: Just a quick update on getting the sails on my Agamemnon. The deck is a mess but Im slowly getting to the final stretch. The square sails are up and now working on the jib sails.. More to come.. making that final push to the finish line! 🙂 

Mike Draper

20211111_130833.jpg

20211111_130824.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 10 months later...

Everyone: Its done..... after 12 years of on again.. off again work, my HMS Agamemnon (Aggy) is finally completed. Im still waiting for a friend to make me a stand for it but the rigging is finally finished. Its bit surreal that I can say that but she no longer darken my shipyard but instead have a nice spot on a shelf in our living room. 

Did a lot of "kit bashing" with her.. milled maple planks for the deck and hull, treenailed the deck, have full guns and carriages on the gun deck either than the dummy guns supplied with the kit, rigged the guns, made my own flag, and added a "few" sails (made by friend Wendy!).  It was a great project. took a littl longer than planned but glad its done and I can now move onto my next project the HMS Winchelsea through Chuck Passaro's practicum. Definitely ready for a new project. 

Enjoy the pics! 

MIKE

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

IMG_6624.JPG

IMG_6623.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Congratulations on finishing your Aggy.  It is a beautiful model and you did a masterful job building it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Well done sailor, very well done.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mike and outstanding good sir, she is a beauty. Now that you have her finished what's your next model going to be?  Also I noticed that you have some paint on you work bench and was wondering what they are. May come in handy getting some for my Winchelsea. Look forward to your next build good sir. Gary

Congratulations Mike, and well done.  Break out the dinner rolls!!  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Really well done Mike!  Beautiful model!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)