HMS Victory by Sven - 1:600 scale - Finished

Thanks for following guys.

Hi Hakan! Sven is not really my name but comes from the fact that I run a 1929 Austin Seven (S'ven) car.... I must like small things!

Matt

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

figures...I thought it to be a wee bit odd for an pom to be named like that ;)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Getting tangled up in running rigging and experimenting with sails!

post-581-0-50009300-1364110635.jpgpost-581-0-27302500-1364110650.jpg

Matt the sails look great!!! .... I cannot see the stitching am I missing something? :D

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beyond amazing..... post-76-0-27310300-1364164258.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the encouragement. It really means a lot!

Michael the stitching is there but cannot be see as the sails are furled!!

The full suit is now installed and I am nervous about the rest of the running rigging!

Matt

post-581-0-86556000-1364247845_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-94214600-1364247860_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-50181300-1364253580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sven

Victory is a very convenient size!

I am trying to decide how much more detail to add after the running rigging. I think I shall do solid ships boats and anchors but perhaps not the hammock netting. I had thought about copper Leaf underneath but I like the boxwood look

Matt

post-581-0-87086400-1364294076_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-09408900-1364296826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sven

Matt your model and work is absolutely stunning!!!.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks Michael. You are too kind! I really think I am only starting out.

I am finding the running rigging quite tough and I regret not planning ahead more with suitable fixing points on hull and spars. A lesson for next time!

I acquired a new toy today from Aldi supermarket (!) a small adjustable vice on a vacuum mount. Just the job for getting the angle right for tensioning. I can see many more days on this stage of the work

Matt

post-581-0-06639300-1364679007_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-32358200-1364679018_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-00100200-1364679034_thumb.jpg

Oh dear, two steps back!!

I was getting unhappier as I progressed with the running rigging and decided that I should start again

I have removed the white silk and shall start again with fine black. The white was too stark and the ship will look better with a more limited palette of materials

Matt

post-581-0-80890900-1364749348_thumb.jpg

Matt,

While the rigging looked fantastic, you're the Captain.  Heartbreaking to undo all that work, but I'm betting you'll be happier with the new thread.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work !!! Love the courage to redo things!

Have you tried fly-fishing threads?

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Thanks fellas!!

I am much happier now that I am redoing the rigging!

Daniel. Yes the silk is fly tying thread

I have made a day back on the running rigging and working on the ships boats while waiting for glue to dry

The picture is I the launch with its mast and cover made in cigarette paper soaked in CA. This is also used for the man ship sails

Matt

post-581-0-53846100-1364919844_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-48826400-1364919862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sven

Matt.........mind boggling

I have run out of words.

Michael

PS love the little boat!

Absolutely incredible!  Every piece is perfectly done!  Keep up the good work she's a beautiful ship.    

Thanks for the kind words! I guess it's the nature of this hobby that you always find a better way to do something just as you finish the task!

The rigging is now back to where it was before the big dismantle!

Time for a short break

Matt

post-581-0-60817400-1365107008_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-97312000-1365107020_thumb.jpg

Thanks Grant

There is an iPhone app called color lake which gives reflections. Give it a try!

Matt

Thanks Matt - I've just downloaded that App and it's a beaut! Might try some of these effects with my own Victory photos.

A beautiful sunny morning on the Thames so I decided to row out and fit the main and cross jack braces

Matt

post-581-0-45849100-1365240743_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-57070800-1365240754_thumb.jpg

Matt I am simply having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this last picture is almost twice the size of the model!!! The other pictures are lovely.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Scale check!

Matt

post-581-0-64000400-1365273674_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt, I have to tell you I'm really looking forward to the bit where you add the ratlines. Are you planning to do clove hitches at each junction, or will you take the easy route and just glue them?

But seriously - great work and a lesson to us all on what can be achieved with a little material and a great deal of skill and inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Matt - You should submit one or two of the reflection photo's to the calendar deal.  I think they have a good chance of making it.  I sure wouldn't mind looking at one of those for a month.   

Wow - she looks better than mine at 1/72

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Absolutely amazing work!

I have never seen any wood modeling done at this scale before.  You say this is you just getting back into it for the first time since you were a kid?  If you keep this up you might get accused of bringing in a ringer!

I second what Daniel said, you should submit a photo or two to the calendar.

-Jared

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Sven,

I wondered if I had seen right: 1:600? Does he mean 1:60?... But no! Waw! :o This is great work! And I thought that my rigging material at 1:64 looked small...

Keep up amazing us,

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Also it's hard to get a good look at the running lines but I wonder are you using thread blocks?

Edited by DSiemens