HMS Victory by Sven - 1:600 scale - Finished

Thank you my friends for the great encouragement.

Kevin I see from your build that it is shaping up to be an exemplary Vic!

Daniel I will certainly send a couple of pics in for consideration, fingers crossed and thanks for the suggestion. I have not used thread blocks at they do not need to move it is simply a knot with a blob of glue. I am not sure that a thread block would work with this line as it is a little stiff and does not bend well.

I think the build is drawing to a close. It has a pleasing density to it now just a few more strings flags and the anchors. Must not forget the rudder!

I also need to think about how best to mount the ship inside the glass dome

post-581-0-72247400-1365610122_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-83907100-1365610147_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-59517000-1365611315_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-09778200-1365610072_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sven

I had started on a small (about 6 inches long including the rigging) victory before. I had planked half of the hull then I gave up. I could never hope that it would turn out so good even if I did complete it. Just looking at your model I would think that it was at least 1/100 scale until I see those clips on the keel.

Great work.

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Once again thanks for looking in on my build!

We are going away for some sun to escape the long continuing London winter so I shall complete the build when we return

Time to review the things I think could be improved

I definitely need to improve planning the rigging in advance with more fixings on yards hull and tops

I also think that it is possible to get a good approximation of ratlines and deadeyes which I shall try next time

I am happy with the materials used but would like to improve the precision of deck fittings

The tension in the rigging needs to be managed better and I would like to try getting more realistic sag on the lines

There should be less reliance on glue which has built up too much in some places and catches the light.

Matt

post-581-0-31394600-1365716115_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-21886000-1365716133_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-42008500-1365716148_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-19778100-1365716165_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-20234400-1365716183_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Your photography is marvellous.  I know you told us before about the ColorLake app, but what are you using for the backdrops?

Edited by gjdale

Matt,

Just found your thread,and it's an awesome build!!  In truth you have inspired me to give mini's a try.Now all thats left is to pick

a ship,and try my best to keep from irritating my wife while building it.

Doug Jones

Edited by Doug J

Matt,

Your photography is marvellous. I know you told us before about the ColorLake app, but what are you using for the backdrops?

Ahh. That will be our new 50 inch tv. I find a nice photo on the laptop and play it thru Apple TV onto the big screen. Hold up the model in front and take the photo! All very low tech!

Might not work so will if the model was at 1:48 scale!

Matt

Edited by Sven

Matt,

Just found your thread,and it's an awesome build!!  In truth you have inspired me to give mini's a try.Now all thats left is to pick

a ship,and try my best to keep from irritating my wife while building it.

Doug Jones

Thanks Doug, go for it!

Actually I am finding the small build quite admiral friendly! Small enough to fit into home decor when complete!!

Matt

I totally agree!  I have six ships in my living room on one shelf.  They are so inconspicuous the Admiral doesn't mind at all.  Also way cheaper to build.  

Ahh. That will be our new 50 inch tv. I find a nice photo on the laptop and play it thru Apple TV onto the big screen. Hold up the model in front and take the photo! All very low tech!

Might not work so will if the model was at 1:48 scale!

Matt

Thanks for sharing the "magic trick" Matt - I'll have to give that a go with my 1:90 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt!

Just came across your build and my mind is boggled! You have mad skills sir! Thanks for the tips on the photos too - your results with those are as stunning as your build. I suppose your skills riding your KTM must be equally impressive! :)

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks Salty and everyone else that has been following this log, I have enjoyed it immensely and with all your encouragement I have done a lot more than I thought I could! There also seems to be a bit of a motorbike subculture among us modellers as well!

Finally it is finished, mounted on small brass pillars and installed in the glass cloche acquired by the admiral.

It took about 200 hours.... I am looking forward to doing another!

Matt

post-581-0-23351700-1367515805_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-76012300-1367515159_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-81627600-1367515188_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-99812500-1367515206_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-01765700-1367515234_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-11608300-1367515283_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-22148100-1367515310_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-47033000-1367515475_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-21685100-1367515498_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-10845000-1367515522_thumb.jpg

She's a real beauty.  You did a great job.  I can't wait to see what you do next.  

Outstanding Matt!  I too look forward to your next build.

I have six ships in my living room on one shelf

Let me try to run that one past my Admiral...LOL

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Matt,

Stunning work on her.  Just beautiful.

Michael,

Who needs a shelf.   I'll bet you could put at least 6 models of that size on your cutter.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Outstanding

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Matt - congratulations on completing her.  Fabulous detail at such a small scale.  I too am looking forward to the next project!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks for all the messages it really means a lot and I am now officially hooked on the hobby!

I think I shall stick at small scale work and fancy doing a C18th frigate perhaps at 1:400 scale.

Edited by Sven

I for one would love to see that.  I say go for it.  

• 1 month later...

Final touches. A few flags

Thanks for following this thread!

Matt

post-581-0-02572400-1372142309_thumb.jpg

post-581-0-12076100-1372142330_thumb.jpg

Very nice touches for a very nice ship.

Hi Matt,

Amazing work! I cannot imagine building a ship that small with that level of detail.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Fantastic work !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 2 months later...

Thank you SO much for the kind words. I have really enjoyed building this model and the great encouragement from all on this forum

I have noticed an error in that I put a mizzen course sail on which I believe would never have been in place at the same time as the driver! Unfortunately it is very well glued in place so I think I shall live with the error as an idiosyncrasy of this model!

Matt

Edited by Sven