Sergal Cutty Sark #789

markjay

Hi all,

Has anyone built this verison of the Cutty Sark. I remember reading some place that this was a new release of the kit.
Any feed back would be appreciated. I'm not to eager to put out 500+ for what the old Sergal version.

Many thaks in advance.
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Mark . I am half way through the first planking on this model of the Cutty Sark . So far i have no complaints . The contents look good and the timber supplied is of good quality . If you have a look in the gallery , there is the same model built by Fredrica . Her finished model is fantastic .

Dave 

Mark,

Even though it might be the "best kit available", it leaves much to be desired. I build the old version of this kit (better than the new) and spend more money on additional parts, materials, plans (G.F. Campbell), books etc. than the kit's price. (see pics in my gallery)

However, if you want to build the model using the kit only - it is a good kit.

Regards,

Ulrich

Thanks for the input and good suggestions.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

garym,

I downloaded your order list for the stanchions and deadeye assembly, etc. Was this ordered placed through Mantua or Ages of Sail. I've delt with Ages of Sail before and was very pleased with their service. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Gary thanks for the direction... I'll call AoS. I didnot recognize the part code numbers.
Thanks again and Seasons greetings to you.
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Hope you all had a good holiday and were able to put some building time in. In my research of the CS I have noted that the masts were raked in the resource books. Fore mast 86 degrees, 85 degrees main, 84 degrees mizzen. The kit plans and build keel slots are 90 degrees, that would make the masts dead on perpendicular to the deck. Has anyone one else confronted this issue, if so, did you fix it or not bother with this detail. I'm concerned that if I change the angle, the rigging for the shrouds would be off.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Hi Mark,

Yep, I had the same issue.  Two ways to address it, cut new decks or take a rat tail file and go to work creating an oval then plank it. If you cut new decks you'll still have to shape the hole with the rat tail so that it fits nicely.  Not a big issue to correct, the earlier the better.  Without the rake the ship won't have the look of surging forward.

I've been working on this model for about 10 -15 years. I started with this kit and ended up kit bashing it - making most  everything other than the frames from scratch.  However, everyone is right that if you just built the model as she comes, you'll end up with a beautiful ship.

There are three of us, myself, Bob and Nenad, that are up to our necks in this ship and happy to answer any questions.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-bashed-tehnodidakta/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2728-cutty-sark-by-rfolsom-billing-boats/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1000-cutty-sark-by-keelhauled-mantua-kit-bashed-first-wooden-ship-build/

cheers

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Great that is what I was thinking of doing and I'm glad to have it confirmed by someone on the site.

Along with the oval deck hole did you rework the slots on the false keel or did you rework the lower mast below the deck to reflect the proper angle?

Many thanks.
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Hi Mark,

I did adjust the lower deck.  If I remember correctly it didn't take much.  I don't remember having to make any adjustments to the false keel, but I could be wrong....It's been close to 13 years ago.

I had the ship in a cradle and leveled her transverse as well as her keel.  I then inserted a dowel, used a plum and protractor to check the angles and made adjustments with a rat tail file.  I also used an incline level to double check the angle (since the dowel wasn't tapered this worked well to check the angle against the protractor.  I also checked the angle between the deck and the dowel.  I have a tendency to check angles and squareness several independent ways to make sure that I'm not getting false measurements.

take it slow and easy.  It's not a difficult job, but you want to make sure that it is correct.

Good luck,

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Hello, Mark;

I'd suggest getting a good copy of the original ship's plans (G. Campbell is what I refer to;  not "original" but he did the restoration plans in the 1950's)

When you get the correct angle of the masts, you will still need the correct angle of the shrouds with respect to the mast angles, and this translates to the shape and angles of the chainplates.  Campbell's plans show this quite well.

Most of the kits on the market today are inaccurate, (IMHO) so I would take some time to research the actual ship and develop your own path, make adjustments, and make the CS your own.

A little bit of thought that keeps me going:

A slightly inaccurate kit that is finished in a display case has much more worth than an highly accurate uncompleted ship on a shelf...

But, I don't make ships for a living; so don't sweat the details!  (Unless you do make model ships for a living) :D

Cheers, and all the best..

~Bob

Thanks Bob and Marc,
Everything you both suggested has been part of my thinking and research. I will be getting a copy of Campbell's plans. The CS will be my 14th build over a 30 year period. I just want to get the overall feel and active appearance in the finished model. Bob where did you order the plans from.
Thanks again,

Mark

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Campbell's plans are available at the Cutty Sark museum gift shop

http://shop.rmg.co.uk/cutty-sark/books/cutty-sark-plans/product/cutty-sark-general-arrangement-plan.html

Longridge's book (two volumes also available as one book with both volumes)  is a great resource as well.  Just be aware that Longridge documented the ship as she was early 1900's.

Marc

Mark,

I was lucky enough to receive two vintage copies of Campbell's plans with my ebay purchase of an incomplete Billing's kit from the 1970's.  I know these plans are currently available from the Cutty Sark Museum;  but I'm not sure of the price or other details...

Also, It would be very inspirational to see records of your previous builds!

All the best,

~Bob

Thanks guys,

I ordered the full set of plans from the CSM shop. Here's the info; Total in USD is about $48.00
Ordered last week I told they were dispatched today. The graphic didn't copy well but all the info is there.

Product Option Code Quantity Item Price Total Cutty Sark - Sail plan Standard CS15934 - 141314 1 £4.00 £4.00 Cutty Sark - Rigging plan Standard CS11693 - 141314 1 £4.00 £4.00 Cutty Sark – General Arrangement plan Standard CS15936 - 141314 1 £4.00 £4.00

Goods Total: £12.00

Shipping Cost: £20.00

Order Total: £32.00

National Maritime Museum Enterprises Ltd
Park Row
Greenwich
London
SE10 9NF

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 3 months later...

Waiting for your building log !!!!!!!!

Please let me know ehen you start!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

First I have to finish HMS Fly, at mast and yard building stage now...however I've done a good amount of research on the CS and am contemplating some kit bashing for deadeye stropping, bulwark stanchions, smaller grating. Sergal may have the older style stanchions for the railing. I'm working on that through "Ages of Sail" as well as some other fittings.
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Thanks for the information. I should hear back from Ages of Sail shortly. They recently placed an order with Sergal, I hope they still have the items in stock.
I'll drop Model Expo/Shipways a ring about the 1mm grates.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 3 months later...

the Mantua Sergal Cutty Sark is the best kit available. 

Hi Brian,

Can you elaborate on why you think the Mantua kit is the best available.  I plan to build this model and I'm currently looking at AL, Billings and Mantua/Sergal.

Any detailed info would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Mark,

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

How did your order go with Sergal and Ages of Sail (I'm hoping to place the same order)?

I'm leaning toward a purchase of the Sergal kit #789, can you give me some info on why you choose this particular kit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Boyd 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Boyd,
I've worked with Ages of Sail for both this kits and parts for others and have had no problems. Fast service if what you need is on the shelf. As for why I picked this version well I went through the same process as you are going through. Asked the same questions on this site and the Seral/Mantua version had the highest number of recommedations. I'm just staring to dry fit the bulkheads and it will be quite large on completion so make sure you have room for it. The instructions are written for folks who have built models before. There is alot of information on the CS out there and research is always worth the time and as well as being rewarding. I will be starting a log on the build in the future. If you haven't taken a look at some of the build logs and utube videos do so.
Whatever your decision enjoy the build.

Mark

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the reply back and I really appreciate your comments/suggestions.    

I’ve read almost every MSW current build log on the Cutty Sark…..always a great source of information.

In addition, I’ve been researching (which I really enjoy) the Cutty Sark for several months now.  I recently received the books “The Cutty Sark” and “The Log of the Cutty Sark”, as well as the Royal Museums Rigging and General Arrangement plan sheets.  Any other suggestions for reference materials would be welcome?

So, I’m really looking forward to taking on the Cutty Sark build once I finish the Bounty.

Have you seen Salty Dogs finished Cutty Sark pictures in the Gallery….It’s a beautiful piece of work but I don’t believe there’s a build log on her.  

My AL Bounty kit has weak instructions as well (the pictures are good but the narratives are lacking).  I think this sort of thing goes with the territory and is just one of the many challenges you face when getting into this wonderful hobby. 

I tend to think building these ships is like taking on a massive jigsaw puzzle and a good game of chess at the same time.  It’s a challenge but a heck of a lot of fun  :)

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing your Cutty build log in the near future  :)

Boyd 

Boyd, it looks like you covered all the bases. Longridge is a great reference, lots of little points that can enblish your build. You didn't mention Campbell's "China Tea Clippers" also a must read. Small point, the plans are on rather inexpensive paper. Take them to a graphic reproduction company that does architectural size reproduction and have the plans copied at 100%. Get them into a tube and use when the original start to come apart on the fold lines. Small expense I think it ran me under $15.00. 
Enjoy the voyage...
Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion....I just purchased a copy of "China Tea Clippers" which has wonderful reviews on the site where I purchased it.

Regarding the plans from the Royal Museum; they sent them rolled up in a tube as opposed to folded.  Can you verify the size of a full size sheet, these are 33 x 23 1/2 inches?

Boyd 

My Campbell`s plans are 30,32 x 25,33 in each page, including white margin around. I re-scaled them to 1:100, so they are a bit larger now (37 x 31 in between margins) 

In my experience, it is much easier to manipulate and analyze, when you scan them in one or more *.pdf files, and then crop and print, even enlarge details you are working with, or crop, import in any vector drawing software and draw your own helping drawing

Good luck with your build

Nenad

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Boyd, I wasn't clear. I should have said when you receive the plans that are in the kit (which come folded)...

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;