Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Piet - FINISHED - Midwest Products - length 15"

Thank you, thank you, thank you - - - he says with a deep bow and a big smile  :)  Very much appreciated!

Well, we have arrived at the end of this build.  There is actually one more detail left to do, Amateur Jan's lobster  ;)   But he'll have to wait till I catch a few  :P

I haven't made the final pictures yet for the Gallery, I'll do that tomorrow and post a few here.

I finally decided on a name for this special build.  It came to me Thursday night as was in bed waiting for the sandman to come.  I didn't want a "sissy" name or something mundane and how can I tie the name in with the purpose of this endeavor, Wounded Warrior?  There it was, Warrior!  Not Wounded anything, just Warrior.  

I cheated - - - I typed it up in green and 14 point and printed it out.  So, Friday morning I cut the name tags out and glued them to the hull using Liquitex medium.  

Just for fun, I made a coke bottle and two glasses to toast the successful completion of the build  ;)  In the second picture I put that bottle and glasses on the sliding hatch.  Any one for more will have to go into the cabin and raid the wet bar.  Sjors on the dock with the popcorn machine  ;)

Then I thought, hey, we need an anchor.  I Googled anchors and found a nice simple one that was used on landing craft during WW II.  So, I cut some metal and made an anchor.  The blades are 0.1 mm brass shim, the post is 1 mm square brass stock that I soldered to a small piece of 1 mm brass tubing.  Put a piece of 0.5 mm brass rod through is and then soldered the blades to the rod, one on each side of the tube.  The blades can actually rotate to grab the sea floor.  Then a brass eyelet on the end of the post for the anchor rope.  Who would have thunk it, an honest to goodness workable anchor  :rolleyes:

I hope I can post the final pics to the Gallery, have to read up on it.

Alright folks, here are a few pics of the last details.

post-1399-0-65608600-1422759781_thumb.jpg

This bottle was used for the "christening" of the boat. 

post-1399-0-59813100-1422759798_thumb.jpg

We are ready for a toast, cheers to all.

post-1399-0-22575400-1422759865_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-91605900-1422759878_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-45649900-1422759919_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-00157800-1422759939_thumb.jpg

This shows the completed anchor on my work bench. 

post-1399-0-51788800-1422759950_thumb.jpg

This shows the anchor ready to be dropped and lashed to the samson post.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet,

The rigging looks great and I love how you displayed our flag......Your MBLS looks fabulous!   

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Piet you couldn't have come up with a better name than Warrior. I think it's a very fitting name. Nice touch on the details. The bow decoration, anchors, and lettering really set her off. I like the bottle with the cocktail glasses. Must be noon somewhere huh?  :D We can wait for the lobster on the half-shell.  :D

Cheers and congrats on a fantastic job!

:cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Piet.

I love absolutely everything about Warrior, the MBLS! You couldn't have done better than pick the name, either. A very fitting tribute to the cause.

As for the detail...absolutely fantastic. The coke bottle and glasses add a really nice touch. Inside and out, Warrior's detail, charm and character are amazing.

I bet secretly you really want to keep her; but the cause is greater and it'll go to a very deserving owner.

Well done and congratulations.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Piet, now all you have to do is set some traps and bring in some very tasty morsels.

That is one nice lobster smack.

David B

Thanks to everyone for following this build, your input and kind words.  I really enjoyed i,t especially with all of you visiting.

This will be my last post for this build and will try to put her in the Gallery.

I still have a few months so I may continue fiddling with it some more, a little touchup here and there.

Here are a few pics i took this morning for the Gallery, I like to close this log with a few pics.  Come and visit me with the 019 and the VOC ship in the scratch build part.  And who knows - - - I may even start the Dutch botter or kotter in a lamp.

post-1399-0-18617800-1422829574_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-25174000-1422829596_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-70924600-1422829679_thumb.jpg

Cheers to all,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Very beautiful, Piet.   The lucky buyer will a work of art.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very nicely done Piet!   rigging ,  sails.......look super!  :)    congrats on such a beautiful vessel!

I had to look back to see how you made your decals.....interesting  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Couldn't expect anything else but high standard after the O19! Still marvelous little lobster smack with great details.

You were saying ... fiddling here and there ...hmmm ... I know your fiddling, so does Gwen ... O19 ... dinghy v 1.0 => v 2.0 ... life raft ... lobster cages ... buckets ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Congratulations on a job well done. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Very good job. It is a great looking model. Congrats.

Russ

beautiful model Piet :)

I love following your logs and see how you do things, helps me a lot ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Very beautiful job Piet! looking forward to meeting you at the spring get-together

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank you all for your very kind words and I'm glad to have been of some help and hopefully inspired a few.

There is one more item I'm going to add to this little boat, it's a Dutch thing ;)   Will show when it's installed  B) 

And here I thought she was completed :rolleyes: 

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yeah Carl, I have to stop thinking of what else I can add.  This is the final thing - - - I hope  ;)

Now I have to find out how to move the hot link to the completed part in my signature  ;)

Well, I thought adding a pennon or pennant to the top of the mast.  This is an old Dutch tradition, especially on royal birthdays or other national festivals.  But then the pennants are orange in honor of the Royal House of Orange.  Some are in the National tricolor.

However, this being a true Yankee boat painted with green trim, I thought making a green pennant to match.  I could also have made in yellow for our troops but hey, green is a mix of blue and yellow!

Okay, here are two pics to show all yuns how the pennon looks.

post-1399-0-82915200-1423451083_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-26245900-1423451096_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Go to your profile and look at your current signature. Just add this build log in the same way ... Often it can be done by just symply copy/paste actions. Probably best get the internet address (link) first, and then alter your dashing signature

Tie a yellow ribbon .................

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - somehow missed this terrific build - congrats on a beautiful model !

Edited by gerty

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters