HMS Bellona by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel

Hi Harlequin,

I am building the Bellona as well, this is my first build and I am enquiring as to how you have positioned the planks at the stern of the boat. Please could provide photographs of the stern showing the planking detail and how you have covered the keel

once I have made a half decent job of my planking I will post some photographs.

regards

Bill24

Thanks Harlequin,

I think I am a little wiser on how to do the planking, am I right in thinking that you have modified the planking method from how the plans show it? I have completed the planking above the gun ports, so I am ready to complete the rest of the hull, will try this week and then post some photographs of my efforts

Edited by bill24

Hi bill24,

I am not overly concerned about how the first planking runs out as long as it is smooth with no hollows, so to that extent I have not followed the plans. The second planking however will be more accurate. Its just the way I do the planking. I am not bothered about the normal rules for planking being the first layer as it is going to be covered anyway. The next couple of days should see me complete the first layer then the real build starts. Post some pics soon bill so I can see how you are progressing.  

First planking now completed. Not much filler needed to produce a clean smooth hull. The outlines of the next gun ports have been marked out. Now the fun begins. That's a lot of the prep work out of the way. I always find the first planking annoying simply because of the amount of work involved but will ultimately be hidden from view. Some of the deck planks will be added next to the bow and stern transom.

post-90-0-44401400-1395319267.jpg

post-90-0-39574500-1395319295.jpg

Looks nice and smooth.  What wood for the second planking?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Realy nice tidy looking ship harlequin, she is a beautiful looking ship, I too have been abit destracted but in my case due to another hobby, I will take a seat and follow your build If I may as I think she will be a beauty. :10_1_10:

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking great Harlequin! Maybe you answered this question elsewhere, but did you make a gun-port template to transfer the positions from the plans to the hull or did you use the plans or did you do it "free hand"....? Not that I'm going to be starting on my Bellona any time soon! But....better to ask now while you're "in it"....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

photo etched bulkhead fitted. Incidently I coloured the windows using a HB pencil after first painting the yellow ochre frames. I am reasonably pleased with the effect the HB pencil has given. It also has the added bonus of not creeping onto the window frame as they are only approx 2mm square and using normal paint and brush is a tedious operation.

post-90-0-64896200-1395420428.jpg

post-90-0-61602100-1395420459.jpg

Edited by harlequin

Very exciting Harlequin!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Harlequin,

A quick question, I am now at the stage of fitting the Transom but am a little unsure of how it should look, is the Transom curved across the width of the ship (plans appear to show it curved) and if yes how did you curve it, the ply is very stiff.

Bill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Harlequin

So I went ahead and purchased the kit as a retirement hobby 

I have made quick progress with it and nearly completed the first planking but I have the same question as Bill about the Transom 

I have curved Part 29 so it is proud of the stern as shown in the diagram. This stops the Transom from fitting flush without a curve and I wondered if that is correct 

Doug

Edited by dougb

• 3 months later...

right after several false starts I am again continuing with Bellona.......I will have to strip back several bits of second planking as they have faded to a slightly different colour to the originals.........watch this space..................again. 

Hello Harlequin, welcome back

I also want to do the HMS Bellona of corel

Follow your tred with interest.

please, put many image !!!

cnemo