HMS Bellona by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel

What a Superb  build  well done finishing her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:17 PM, Christopher Carl said:

The work is truly excellent! Please take a lot of pictures of the rigging, as I will no doubt need them to decode the Bellona instruction diagrams. 

Thanks so much,

Chris

it isn't too bad actually but you are more than welcome to contact me anytime.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

What a Superb  build  well done finishing her.

OC.

she is full of little mistakes, oddities and down right rubbish Old....but that just adds to her charm.....the howlers are disguised well and TBH.....I don't actually like builds that are 100% perfect....to me they lack soul....well that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.

Great work on the Bellona Harlequin - despite what you've said about "errors" - I think that the overall feel of the model allows these to fade into the background and (as you suggest) define the personality of your build. Glad you stuck with it!

Question - is that your deck in the background of the first shot of the finished model? I used to skate when I was younger, but now have trouble doing basic things on my kid's board. Fortunately he hasn't taken to it much yet so I can still appear to be a useful teacher....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton.....I think that anything you put on your feet with wheels should be outlawed...….I am a parachutist......the risks associated with parachuting don't come anywhere near those that contain wheels....especially if attached to ones feet......that one belongs to my son....he is a free climber and I know which one I prefer him to do......wheels and me don't mix....lol.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Brilliant. I'm not sure how I missed this log until now, but your great model has reminded me why I love the beauty of bare wood. I was also impressed with your attention to detail - I don't think I've seen such realistic snaking before for example. I'll follow your current build with interest.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 1 month later...

Hiya Harlequin, I've sorted out all my parts as I mentioned before on your messaging page, and I've made a start on the Bellona, a question though, (and if you don't mind, this will be the first of many), would you advise planking the decks before gluing them in place?  On some models, I've done this, and then found it was better to leave the planking until later, and on others, I'd wished I'd planked the decks before I fitted them.

27 minutes ago, BobG said:

Your models are absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

Cheers BobG.....like i said to Old Collingwood, they are full of mistakes and down right rubbish, but they look ok...but mostly I enjoyed building them which what it is all about......although Bellona came within a hairs width of being launched against the wall...

2 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Cheers BobG.....like i said to Old Collingwood, they are full of mistakes and down right rubbish, but they look ok...but mostly I enjoyed building them which what it is all about......although Bellona came within a hairs width of being launched against the wall...

Well, I'd be quite happy if I had built those models. As the old saying goes: "One man's rubbish is another man's treasure!

I do, however, fully understand feeling off nearly "launching a model against the wall" or, at the very least, giving it a Viking funeral!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 12/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, harlequin said:

I'm in the very early stages of this kit, and I read your line about 'Launching it against the wall...'  Is there anything I can avoid to stop me reaching that point?

1 hour ago, Chief Williams said:

I'm in the very early stages of this kit, and I read your line about 'Launching it against the wall...'  Is there anything I can avoid to stop me reaching that point?

37 minutes ago, harlequin said:

have more patience than me...

I've been looking at some of your work, especially your rigging, you must have the patience of the angels.

7 hours ago, Chief Williams said:

I've been looking at some of your work, especially your rigging, you must have the patience of the angels.

i am a bit of an enigma really Chief,....I served with the Parachute Regiment, a unit not noted for our patience, and also for one who spent a few years in and jumping out of aeroplanes why i should build boats which our arch rivals the royal marines use.....ask my family how patient i am and they will tell you "not very", so it is with some surprise to myself that i reach the end of a model.....i try to look at the big picture nowadays and try to keep calm......a good drop of single malt whisky does always help.....have a good Christmas Chief...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/27/2021 at 11:44 PM, Chief Williams said:

Where did you get the gunport lids from, do Corel sell them?  Mind you, the time I wait for anything to arrive here at the back end of the world, I might as well make my own.

sorry for not replying sooner.....i got the ports from cornwall model boats.....i have lots of spares here if you want them..not sure how many but yours if you want them.......i used the ports on bellona as a way of not smashing the boat up as the build was going badly wrong and it was a case of using the ports or binning the model....i think they look ok and are a contrast to the rest of the hull... 

cheers Bill....that is the ultimate compliment.....as i have said before it is full of mistakes, down right rubbish craftsmanship in parts, but it is also full of character which i think adds to the build. I dont like a perfect looking build....they look too sterile and no soul contained in them. My Bellona contains anger, frustration, angst, and contentment and that is why I love the finished article....enjoy your Bellona...it is a fabulous looking kit...

Edited by harlequin

14 hours ago, harlequin said:

cheers Bill....that is the ultimate compliment.....as i have said before it is full of mistakes, down right rubbish craftsmanship in parts, but it is also full of character which i think adds to the build. I dont like a perfect looking build....they look too sterile and no soul contained in them. My Bellona contains anger, frustration, angst, and contentment and that is why I love the finished article....enjoy your Bellona...it is a fabulous looking kit...

I once made the same comment about perfection in modeling to a friend in high school. That was over 50 years ago. He disagreed with me vehemently, but it is interesting that great minds think alike . . .

Bill

Thanks Harlequin, I might take you up on that later.  She who must be obeyed has decreed that she wants the gunports open with guns run out, no matter how much I whinge.  I can see a few problems developing already with the siting of the U channel to hold the dummy guns, some of them appear to be floating without any support in the hull.  I agree with you about the perfect build, as you say, they have no character, whereas a real build shows a lot of the character of the builder.  In my case, warped in places, with a few things in the wrong place.

it was always my intention to have the guns run out but because of the breaks i took whilst building bellona and the removal of the planking due to fading of the wood i had to use the gun ports as an alternative because the damage to the frames was too great and to be honest i just did not have the patience to do a complete rebuild of the frames......I actually like the cast gun ports, they provide an eye catching detail. The offer is still there if you decide to use them.......free of charge of course.

• 1 month later...

Harlequin, I've been having trouble with these gunports, and I would like to take you up on your offer of the cast gunports, if you still have them, but I would like to pay for them and reimburse you for the postage.  I live in New Zealand and it's half a world away from you.  Please let me know how I can get my address to you, and details of how I can reimburse you,

I've had three tries at the gunports, and I've not been happy with any of them, so I've decided to build the model at anchor, with all her guns stowed and the minimum of running rigging.

A bout of the current bug doing the rounds hasn't helped my workmanship any, not that it was great to begin with, but I'm over it now.  It's a pity my workmanship isn't though.

• 7 months later...