HMS Bellona by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel

This is exciting! I haven't seen a Corel Bellona on MSW before and I have one under the workbench as we speak...it will be nice to have a good cheat sheet to work from!! Looking forward to following this!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely one to follow! I'm tempted to start my Bellona now so I can have someone to build with! But I don't think I have the skills yet to match the beauty of this ship....I'll be following this with great interest!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Bellona has been unboxed and i've dry fitted the keel and frames. A little minor sanding required to get a nice fit between the two which after the wrestling match that was HMS Greyhound this comes as a relief. I will post some pics soon. Again I'm going for the full wooden look for the entire hull without any paint or colouring. Its great to get my hands on wood again after the shroads and ratlines fiasco of Greyhound. I have now tied over 20 million ratlines since January.... :piratetongueor4: . I do love the look of Greyhound though and she has definately grown on me. Bellona looks like a mighty fine ship too. Anyway watch this space for the photos.  

Harlequin! When I saw the notification in my email, I rushed here expecting to be treated to some glorious photos of the assembled framework! And now I see it's left still to my imagination....which at this time in the afternoon does not work very well.....especially when I've skipped lunch!

Anyway, it's great to hear that you've started and I patiently await some eye candy on this forum. Bye for now and thanks for all your help with Greyhound!

hamilton

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go.  Good luck mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Harlequin:

I'm already starting to drool a little. I guess I'm just happy to have something to look forward to over the summer other than yard work! 

As for finishing - it's such a subjective decision....fortunately it's not one that you have to make immediately.....not, at least, until you start making the cabin bulkheads....not sure how far into the build that will be, but probably some time, right? 

Maybe at the first opportunity for finishing a part of the model you're going to instal, try it both ways (if that's possible) and see which you like better. Anyway, have fun! I'll be watching with interest.

hamilton

I'm trying to decide whether or not to colour Bellona or to leave her all wooden. I'm not going to copper plate her but may add colour to other parts of the hull /masts and yards.

Make believe you didn't read this:

I think an all wood finish is fantastic.  I think my Syren is coming along fairly well but sometimes she reminds me of my uncle's 1957 Buick.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Salute harlequin;

If it's not seen as an intervention; even though the painted ships attract more admiration, your choice of leaving her all wooden, seems to me more authentic and natural... 

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Spent the entire day reading the whole instruction book and examining the drawings.....they are so much better than the Greyhound instructions. Not going to add colour to the hull but may add some red to the gun carriages and the inside bulwarks and maybe a bit on the transom decoration. There is so much detail on this build, its certainly going to take some doing. It is going to be an amazing looking ship when completed. :cheers:  

Hi Harlequin:

Yes you can really notice the difference, right? I spent a day when I first got the Bellona kit going through the parts list and finding everything on the plans - also noting which plan sheet(s) the various parts could be found on...It certainly looks like a great kit!

hamilton

I like the yellow ochre.  Sometimes, less is more!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Salute harlequin,

I examined those photo etched cabin bulkhead parts.

May I ask a question?

Do the two parts joined to the hull of the starboard and port sides, have windows? If so, will you prefer another color for windows?

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Harlequin:

I can't believe you're laying on the planks already! Didn't you just finish the Greyhound? I thought I had a reputation for speed, but you've got me here - nice work - the yellow ochre works well to mellow out those brass parts - how to deal with that shiny brass is certainly a pressing question on my mind, though the Bellona is far away for me....I find myself wondering how the precise paint job you see on the box can be replicated, considering that there is absolutely no "tooth" to that brass to pick up the paint.....how did you get yours with such a nice matte finish? Did you treat the brass before hand in some way?

hamilton

Those two windows will not be visible in the finished model. They will be obscured from view by a lot of rigging and deck furniture. I could try using a very fine brush to paint the windows but unless you are a contortionist you wouldn't see the finished article. 

Edited by harlequin