HMS Bellona by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel

Great work Harlequin - quick question - how did you get the snaking done without distorting the forestay and preventer stay? I tried snaking on the Blandford but removed it because I couldn't figure out how to add it without it pulling up on the stays and spoiling their run.....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Really nice standard riging, and I agree  with hamilton   about the snaking.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 10:52 PM, hamilton said:

Great work Harlequin - quick question - how did you get the snaking done without distorting the forestay and preventer stay? I tried snaking on the Blandford but removed it because I couldn't figure out how to add it without it pulling up on the stays and spoiling their run.....

hamilton

I glued with watered down PVA after every couple of snakes......I used one continuous piece of rope and secured with a clove hitch at each stage.. It has a slight distortion but I can live with it.

A milestone on Bellona...the first of the yards being prepped for final fixing...….to think I came within a hairs breadth of scrapping Bellona because of the way it was going is a lesson to others to just keep persevering. Loads of errors and mistakes but I think they add to Bellona overall character....well that's my theory and i'm sticking to it. 

IMG_1398.JPG

On 5/29/2020 at 6:03 AM, harlequin said:

more rigging completed....backstays all done for all three masts. She is slowly getting there.

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

Hi Harlequin, can you cast your mind back to doing your transom. I'm having troubles bending the moulding for the deck edge & rail. Neither soaking & plank bending jig nor scope iron heat worked. I was wondering if putting a lengthways slit on one face might work. I'd appreciate your advice as yours looks fine. I also somehow stuffed up the quarter deck levels & as you can see had to improvise with some extra steps. Oh! Well. Such is life

All the best G

IMG_20200607_170447.jpg

3 hours ago, Christopher Carl said:

Your work is excellent. I started my Bellona two and a half years ago, and followed your build ever since. You helped me solve a number of problems. I just started a build log myself. Take a look when you get a moment.

Christopher Carl

I will do Christopher...glad I could help....I had many problems with this build and to be honest I don't know how I stopped myself from setting fire to it......I have altered things on it most obviously the metal gun ports, but it was either those or the scrap yard...….will take a look at yours today.....reagards

8 hours ago, Gan Do said:

Hi Harlequin, can you cast your mind back to doing your transom. I'm having troubles bending the moulding for the deck edge & rail. Neither soaking & plank bending jig nor scope iron heat worked. I was wondering if putting a lengthways slit on one face might work. I'd appreciate your advice as yours looks fine. I also somehow stuffed up the quarter deck levels & as you can see had to improvise with some extra steps. Oh! Well. Such is life

All the best G

IMG_20200607_170447.jpg

I really cant remember to be honest.....if you post a pic of the edge you are talking about I will try to remember exactly what I did....cheers.

I can utter the immortal words......Bellona is COMPLETED...……..apart from the ensigns which I may or may not add.....after over 7 years of toil, Bellona and me are at one. It has been a journey full of angst and doubt. At one stage Bellona came within a hairs width of being scrapped. Pictures to follow soon.  

Congratulations Harlequin, I've been following your build for the last 2 years, ever since starting my own.  Your build log has been very helpful as this is my first build,(I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew).  Anyway I have plenty of time on my hands, so slowly slowly.  Fantastic model you must be very pleased.  Maybe time for a celebratory Rum, aaargh.

Cheers

Overboard

8 hours ago, Overboard said:

Congratulations Harlequin, I've been following your build for the last 2 years, ever since starting my own.  Your build log has been very helpful as this is my first build,(I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew).  Anyway I have plenty of time on my hands, so slowly slowly.  Fantastic model you must be very pleased.  Maybe time for a celebratory Rum, aaargh.

Cheers

Overboard

cheers Overboard.....I am quietly pleased with the result, and if I can help you with yours I will be more than happy......I have to decide whether or not to include the ensigns or not....corels flags are not very good so need a more realistic one before I add them.....keep going with it, mine nearly ended up in the scrap yard buy i'm glad I persevered with it....will post some pics soon. If anyone has a flag producer I would love to know. 

Congratulations on a superb build! Wonderful to see.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

lovely build and great log

thank you for sharing

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Congratulations on your very fine looking Bellona. I was following along and you had a very interesting build log. I like the fact that you kept with the all natural wood finish. it really shows off your craftsmanship.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

On 6/19/2020 at 9:45 AM, harlequin said:

I can utter the immortal words......Bellona is COMPLETED...……..apart from the ensigns which I may or may not add.....after over 7 years of toil, Bellona and me are at one. It has been a journey full of angst and doubt. At one stage Bellona came within a hairs width of being scrapped. Pictures to follow soon.  

CONGRATULATIONS on an exquisite model!  Well done!

Bill