Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

Thank you, Augie!  Appreciate that!  Poor guy has had a rough life - actually my grandson that lived with us until he was 6, then moved out with his mom to live with the father of his 2 siblings, but spent most weekends and vacations with us.  Had a very tough time about 3 years ago and came back to live with us - has been showing continuous improvement ever since.  When he first moved back, I couldn't be out of his site - he would even sit outside the WC waiting...now, he is able to stay home alone for several hours at a time without any problems (other than periodic phone calls when he needs to get his lunch etc - just to have someone on the phone).  Looking more and more like he and the Admiral may be working together on the Phantom kit I bought him for Christmas - she has been doing a lot of transcription work for the MSB group working on transcribing some of the Joshua Humphreys papers, and also helps edit the MSB journal. !

Thanks, Bob - it's small but as long as I keep stuff separated well it works for now! The Admiral is getting quite interested in ships, and now she is giving some serious thought to getting into model shipbuilding.  Think we need to get a larger apartment so we have room for a proper shipyard

Anyway, probably more than you ever wanted to know!  Off to do some work today on the main mast for the HL - hope to have some photo's up tonight!

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I empathize with you.  It's a tough condition.  Back in my professional life we introduced some of the first drugs to help treat the condition over 20 years ago.  But they merely helped relieve the symptoms rather than curing the disease itself.  Someday that will come to pass.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wayne, good start on the Emma C. I have been thinking of this model for my next build after the Willie Bennett. I have been looking for some scale figurines so gain a better sense of scale on my build, also 1/32. Are your figurines to scale and if so where did you find them? Thanks.

Thanks, Richard!  The figures I am using are in scale a 1/32.  They are available from multiple sources - primary manufacturer I have come across is Preisser (such as these).  The ones I have were kindly provided by Maurys.

Andy (Realworkingsailor) has provided a good description of scale sizes at http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1006-in-need-of-shipyard-workers-or-boats-crewmembers/page-3#entry19739.

Best bet is to check model railroad suppliers. "O" Scale is 1:48. You may not find exactly what you need, but you may have some luck locating "blanks" you can "surgically" alter to suit your needs.

For anyone else browsing this thread:

"G" Scale:  1:22.5, 1:29 and 1:32

"O" Scale: 1:48

"S" Scale: 1:64

"OO" Scale: (Varies Slightly between USA And Britain) Most common is 1:76

"HO" Scale: 1:87.1

"TT" Scale: 1:120 (Rare, hard to find)

"N" Scale: 1:160

"Z" Scale: 1:220

Scale people are available in all these scales. Some work may be required to make them period appropriate.

I was just looking at some at http://www.micromacromundo.com/preiser.asp?scatlist=186&perpage=5

Hope this helps!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

As promised, a couple of shots of the keel assembly and the side horn timber, which forms a part of the transom and will house the rudder stock.

The keel assembly.

post-18-0-29605500-1365281033_thumb.jpg

The side horn timber.

post-18-0-02784500-1365281036_thumb.jpg

My very tentative start at marking out the rabbet on the stem.  Any guidance on this would be much appreciated!  I think reading the manual and looking at other logs, that what i do is taper from the bearding line to the rabbet line, with the depth at the rabbet line being the thickness of a plank.  Is that anything similar to being an accurate approach?

post-18-0-73792400-1365281040_thumb.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

Wayne

Epictetus

Wayne,

You are spoiling me…..

More pictures  :D

That looks also great.

A very nice shipyard you have there.

And a lot of books!

We have only three but maybe ether are more on the way.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all, for the compliments.  It has been a very slow work in the shipyard - events in Boston and surrounding areas generated quite a bit of activity for my group.  Things are calmer today, so hope to get back to some building.  I did get the rabbet cut in on the starboard side of the keel, and plan to work on the port rabbet today. 

J Haines - my kit does have the name decal and scrollwork included.

Sjors - just for you, a picture of the worst escape vehicle in history.  It is always better when the boat is in the Water, not in Watertown!!!

post-18-0-17808700-1366475382_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

I'm sure there are already a bevy of internet jokes floating around..... :rolleyes:

Hopefully things will settle down back to some form of normal, for you and for the city of Boston.

Looking forward to more progress (Since I haven't said much yet, you look like you're off to a tentative, but good start :) )

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...

Well, decided to take a break from working with tiny stuff on the Harriet Lane to spend a bit of time on the ECB

After getting the rabbet carved into both sides on the keel, I started working on frames last night.  It took me a bit to get my mind around the geometry of carving the bevels, but once that light bulb started to flicker it suddenly made sense.

Installed Frame 1 last night and frame 2 today.

General view from above the bow looking aft to show the general approach.set up.

The crew is hard at it.

post-18-0-32376300-1368381506_thumb.jpg

Bow on - the foreman is checking out the alignment.

post-18-0-23560700-1368381297_thumb.jpg

From the port bow

post-18-0-55898500-1368381286_thumb.jpg

From the starboard bow

post-18-0-18564700-1368381496_thumb.jpg

The span (distance from center line) for each frame is transfered onto this leveling timber (my own term for it - pretty technical sounding, huh?) which then provides a check on the spacing as I clamp the frame.

post-18-0-72550700-1368381503_thumb.jpg

Frame height is set by measuring the height to the underside of the leveling timber, and verified across the frames by using a level to check for plumb.

post-18-0-31584300-1368381498_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-86745300-1368381508_thumb.jpg

Two frames down, about 23 to go!  They get easier from here with a lot less bevel after frame 4.

Many thanks!

Wayne

Epictetus

Hey there, Keith.  All of the frames are laser cut but require some shaping - they are essentially the right shape but need to have some taken off the leading edge on the outside and the mirror bevel on the inside to allow for planking to sit fair.  The first 5 or 6 frames need a goodly bit of trimming but less and less as you move aft. 

Wayne

Epictetus

He, he, thought you only showed someone else's pictures, just to make us drool ;)  I know Harriet needed attention :D :D :D I'm glad you're taking time for Emma C. and get those dockyard workers in line

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

He, he, thought you only showed someone else's pictures, just to make us drool ;)  I know Harriet needed attention :D :D :D I'm glad you're taking time for Emma C. and get those dockyard workers in line

Carl - Harriet is pouting on the shelf above my workbench and still calls out for attention, but making her wait a few days.  Sometimes ignoring them makes them that much happier when you pay attention again (yeah, right!).

Enjoying the early parts of framing this one - only time I need the magnifier is when i am reading the ruler for measurements!

Wayne

Epictetus

So you basically file/sand/shape the cant into the laser cut frames sounds like. I was wondering how the cant framing at the bow and stern was achieved in the kit. Once past that part I can see things speeding up considerably. 

Pretty much, Keith.  Here is what the plans give you

post-18-0-27157400-1368542569_thumb.jpg

Since the laser cut frames are from square stock when viewed end-on, the bevel needs to be carved on both the inside and the outside of the piece, as you can see in the admittedly rough sketch below.

post-18-0-99448100-1368542646_thumb.jpg

At this point, I have the first 3 frame pairs mounted and have noticed an "oops" on the starboard side frame 2 where I messed up on the bevel.  Not sure if I will redo it or not since it will be covered by the ceiling.  Need to ponder on that!

Wayne

Epictetus

Looking Good Wayne!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Stick with 'em.  I'm pulling for you!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, Adam - glad to have you back aboard!  Good to see the progress on the Mayflower as well. 

Captain Augie, Sir - going to stick with it and give it my best shot!  I think I can fix the bevel on frame 2 without any major re-constructive surgery (in this case, I need to take a bit more off - the best kind of mistake to make!!  Would hate to need to add more meat to that bone!)

Wayne

Epictetus

Can't you cut a new one from stock ... it may seem a fuss, but you are building a plank on frame hull ...

Carl -

I am still mulling that over.  I may do that after I get the next few frames installed and see how well it will fair with several in place.

Have made what, for me, is amazing progress this week.  Have installed through Frame 6 (only 19 more to go!)

First, though, my Birthday present has arrived!  Framed promotional set of plans for the Bounty from 1963!

post-18-0-95363400-1368817376_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-68649900-1368817384_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-10649900-1368817382_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-72097300-1368817379_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

Looks very nice Wayne, the framed promotional plans as well as your  build.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Those are lovely plans of the Bounty!

And nice work on the frames as well.  Makes me smile!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow, I just noticed your centerline string.  Brilliant!  I'm definitely using that on my next build. 

Nice looking progress on lofting the frames. It must help to have teeny tiny workmen helping out.  :D  :P

Love the plans for the bounty!!  They look great!

I have my eye on a wall piece that is at our local consignment store.  A decorative piece of the Ranger with some sample rigging knots and other seafairing related knick knacks.  I may have to grab it, been resisting it.

How are you likeing POF??

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull