Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

Janet B

My hubby has bought Emma for my birthday, so ihope you get on well with the build i shall be following i will be following it with interest.In the meantime when hubby has gone to bed i will spend most of the night in my workshop,(i have to sleep down stairs as i am disabled)working on my A-LCHINESE JUNK .

• 2 months later...

Greetings - at sorry to have neglected this lady for so long! 

The ECB gets my attention this month - have beveled and now installed 4 frames since the first (may not seem like much, but after taking so long to get the first 9 in, 4 in les than a week is really moving!!!)

So, here is her present status.  I have frames 14 and 15 in preparation right now, hope to get them in by tomorrow evening.

post-18-0-44718100-1399223914_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-85120600-1399223913_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-08682400-1399223913_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-48761200-1399223912_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Nice to see an update on this lovely lady!  It's not a race, and every pretty lady likes to take her time making sure the foundations are right before the makeup goes on.  Take your time and be a gentleman with her, and she just might surprise you! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings one and all.  I got to spend a great deal of quality time during May with the Emma C. Berry.  All frames have now been installed, and temporary batten installed along the deck line for support.  This will eventually be removed as the inside structure is installed.

The crew at the shipyard has been working hard on the frames and also on improving the build yard.

post-18-0-35784500-1401642771_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the tide was rising more rapidly than they anticipated necessitating a relocation in the shipyard. (Yes, I am embarrassed to say, I did discover that she does float).

post-18-0-95191600-1401642771_thumb.jpg

After a quick repositioning for one last bow-on shot. Note I will need to do a bit of work on the aft 4 frames on the starboard side (you may be able to pick out the flat spot near the stern_

post-18-0-82675200-1401642772_thumb.jpg

Exercising great amounts of hindsight, the photo shoot relocated to higher ground.

post-18-0-60280400-1401642773_thumb.jpg

And one final shot - I thought the shadows were interesting in this one.

post-18-0-30994200-1401642774_thumb.jpg

And so, for the month of June, I will return my attentions to the Essex.

Appreciate any suggestions or observations on how to improve the lines on this lady.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

It looks as if the lines are taking care of themselves nicely (with some help from the builder).  Very creative on the photography!  I'm smiling for you.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That's one very pretty lady Wayne! Looks like you are doing her justice, and taking her out for such a scenic photo shoot is bound to please her. She is certainly very photogenic! Looks like both the builder and the photographer have earned their keep this month. ;)

• 2 months later...

Wayne, most of your pix on this log through PAGE 6, # 81 are missing.  

Thought you'd like to know.  Walt Biles

Edited by Walter Biles

I'd sack that motley crew of yours if they don't know the state of the tide mate. :D  :D

I don't think you can improve the lines of her Wayne unless you fare down the forward most ribs 1 through 12, but I'm sure she has the lines she should have. ;)

Nice progress mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wayne, most of your pix on this log through PAGE 6, # 81 are missing.  

Thought you'd like to know.  Walt Biles

Thanks, Walt - I had not realized that.  Will get them reposted this week (I hope!)

Wayne

Epictetus

I'd sack that motley crew of yours if they don't know the state of the tide mate. :D  :D

I don't think you can improve the lines of her Wayne unless you fare down the forward most ribs 1 through 12, but I'm sure she has the lines she should have. ;)

Nice progress mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hello, Mobbsie - thanks for stopping by!  There is actually only one that is a bit off - the battens are not placed really neatly - just to lend support for when i start working on the innards.  I think I will need to trim the tops of a couple of frames but the overall flow works pretty well.

i do need to work with the crew on reading the tide.  Unfortunately, it comes in at a rate of about 1 foot in 15 minutes in that area, so they misjudged somewhat.  One of the crew actually went for a swim - had to go out and get him before he headed to Canada on the tide!

Hi Wayne

Your schooner sure does look nice out by the salt water. Have you given any thought to shimming out the first 3 or 4 frames to give the bow a nice flowing line, just a thought.                                                    ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Greetings, Lawrence.  I think most of the frames will fare in pretty well - those are just temporary battens to give some rigidity to the frames when i start working inside the hull.  When I run the battens along the planking lines they fare in nicely.  She is actually a fairly sharp bowed vessel.

Wayne

Epictetus

I think someone else posted the pictures.....you might need to take a look-see, if they're still around ;)

I didn't know you started this build Wayne.......I look at so many, I don't know how I missed it! the hull framing looks great.....you probably don't need to worry about that flat spot you mentioned. it will be covered by the deck. as long as it doesn't translate to the outside of the frame, and you can plank it with no problem......it should be OK. you've got a fantastic start going on here......I'll be watching ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after having the summer to relax, the Emma C. Berry has come back to the build table.  She was getting a mite snippy sitting on the shelf in my business office.

Prior to resuming work, took a ride to Bangor yesterday to pick up a Harbor Freight work bench - the Admiral and son the elder helped get it set up.  After a bit of organizing this morning, have removed the temporary battens that I glued on (not the brightest thing I have ever done) and replaced with pins.  Also have beveled and installed the transom.

Next step is to fine tune the tops of the frames (a couple are just a smidge long or short - fortunately they get covered by the covering board and are hidden) then prepare and install the clamps.  From there, into the building of the interior - that should take quite some time!

Profile view

post-18-0-67660500-1408910958_thumb.jpg

View from the stern

post-18-0-19800700-1408910959_thumb.jpg

A quick tour of the reorganized shop.

post-18-0-12725900-1408910956_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-48656200-1408910956_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-60883600-1408910957_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-14433100-1408910958_thumb.jpg

Many thanks!

Wayne

Epictetus

Nice to see the lovely Emma back in the shop Wayne. I look forward to some updates.

Hi Wayne ... nice to see the Emma back up on the table.... Don't you just love that work table?.. I bought the same one a couple years ago

and it suits me just fine, the space is good and the price is right ! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

GREAT to see her back.  And that work table looks like a good investment!  May it serve you well for years to come.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

the window.......a perfect distraction :D but, you think about it......it might just serve you well. put a fan in the window to act as an exhaust, and you'll be able to paint and sand, without all the fumes and dust :) a fine sturdy bench......with drawers to organize your tools......I'm Jealous! :) looking forward to your build of the E.C.B.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

:cheers: YAY, WAYNES BACK! :cheers:

Great to see the emma underway again, and that harbor bench is a fantastic investment. Have one myself and may get another one once I get a couple more power tools so I can set up a powertool bench and have one for work work.

She is looking great wayne! Cant' wait to see her go!

Welcome back!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for this build log. You've got me motovated to begin working on mine again. I've been on a 5 year hiatus as I built other stuff but time to return to the wood. I really like this kit and how much it follows the actual ship. I have seen her many times and have some old photos I will have to dig up, good references for the deck. Also have the book 'Restoration of the Smack Emma C Berry which has lots of drawings done during the 1971 restoration. Not painted in the current scheme however and I have not seen that version but think it is like the Smuggler in grey and green.

Couple of shots on how crowded a 9' table top can get

post-9680-0-40983200-1408996017_thumb.jpg

post-9680-0-41989100-1408996030_thumb.jpg

Vintage modeler, looks like my bench, but more organized.   :)   If you had models in the GSL, you definitely HAVE been building other stuff! Impressive.

Nice to see the Emma happy in the new home, Wayne.   I live within reasonable driving distance of Mystic, so if you ever want to trade Emma detail photos for Maine Maritime Museum photos, let me know...

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures this update, but a quick update none the less.

I have added the clamps (needed to re-set one frame that was out of alignment) - nicely faired lines with the clamps in place. 

Have also begun to build the cabin - there are 3 posts at frames 17, 18 and 19 that support beams, then athwartship beams from frames 17 to 22.  Thus far I have the posts and beams at frames 17, 18 and 19 installed and drying.  The remaining beams do not have posts due to the decreasing width between frames moving aft - they just attach to the frames.  My goal is to get the remaining beams installed tonight.  Will add photo's when they are in.

Wayne

Epictetus

As promised, a pictorial update. 

I have all the frames installed, and the clamps along both sides to support the deck beams.  While not necessarily correct, I opted to do the clamps in one piece for the strength it will provide vice the laminated layers with 3 sections as on the real ECB.  When originally built, the clamps would probably have been in 3 sections port & starboard scarphed together, cut from 2 x 10ish timbers. 

You can see the clamps on either side.  The foreman s checking the temporary bracing between the frames and clamps at the midship section.

post-18-0-53368800-1410350413_thumb.jpg

I also have started installing the cabin - here you can see the first 3 beams and posts for the cabin deck.  there will also be beams (no posts) at frames 20 through 22.

post-18-0-37968100-1410350414_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-47066800-1410350415_thumb.jpg

The view from above at the overall shape - remember, the outer battens that are pinned on are just temporary for stiffening, but will be somewhat useful for fairing the hull later on before planking the exterior.

post-18-0-02256700-1410350415_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-13546100-1410350413_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

Wayne,

I see pictures !!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Great job what you have done so far.

Soon finished ?????

Sjors

Thank you, kindly sir.  Many many days of work remaining - I plan to detail the interior with the cabin, a wet well, possibly some other features.  Those shall take me a few months I am sure.  Then I start planking the hull, installing the deck beams, planking the deck and doing all the rest of the exterior - not to mention the mast and rigging part.  I may have this done before Brett graduates college!

Wayne

Epictetus