Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

I love the symmetry and just enjoy looking at this kind of framing.  Maybe you should leave off the hull planking :D

That one 'supervisor' looks capable of keeping things under control.

Nice work, Wayne.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yup, wot he said! :)

Looking good Wayne. This is a really sweet looking vessel.

very nice progress Wayne........makes me wish I was doing another P.O.F.      there's so much more planning involved with them.   looking forward in seeing the hull planking........are you going to use the scale length method?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I love the symmetry and just enjoy looking at this kind of framing.  Maybe you should leave off the hull planking :D

That one 'supervisor' looks capable of keeping things under control.

Nice work, Wayne.

Thanks, Augie.  I do plan to leave off portions of the hull and deck planking - including the ceiling inside - to show off some of the interior finishing.  Not quite sure how much or where, but will figure that out in time.

Yup, wot he said! :)

Looking good Wayne. This is a really sweet looking vessel.

Thanks, Grant.  She is a nice looking sloop, and has a great deal of potential for individual initiative!  Just hope my skills are up to the challenge!

very nice progress Wayne........makes me wish I was doing another P.O.F.      there's so much more planning involved with them.   looking forward in seeing the hull planking........are you going to use the scale length method?

Thanks, Denis.  I do plan to use scale lengths for all the planking - interior, exterior and deck.  Will take longer but I think will give a better appearance.  Also plan to paint her, but not sure how much just yet.  My thinking right now is to display her as though she has been hauled for repairs - pretty standard for this one, I know.  I am also pondering using an enlarged base for the display and to have a portion of the boatyard included.  Plenty of time to make those decisions, though!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Great job so far Wayne and your plans sound like they will be one amazing project once done!

Can't wait to see more... more... more (omg I think I have been possessed by Sjors)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Interesting build you've got going Wayne.... like your ideas for the display, will be following along.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wayne,

Looking forward to see what you do with your base. I'm thinking of placing mine in water setting with partial dock using plexi. I also did full interior, even included stove but did not take photos. Know where you can get one of those scopes? Building the interior makes it feel even more realistic, you will enjoy the effort.

John O

• 2 weeks later...

Good day one and all - I hope you have been enjoying the last day before the autumnal equinox (or, for our colleagues on t'other side of the equator, the spring equinox).

WIth both boys gone (one back to Arkansas for the school year and the other moved into a college dorm), have gotten what, for me at least, is a lot done on the ECB.  Last post I was just installing the posts and beams for the cabin sole.  Here are a couple of shots of the process.

post-18-0-46467100-1411324050_thumb.jpg

Used the heavy "plugs" from the workbench as weights to install the sole planking.  Worked quite nicely!

post-18-0-96464400-1411324049_thumb.jpg

Also built out the supports and laid the port side bunk and back "wall".  Still some finish sanding to do, then prime and paint.  The sole and bunks will be grey and the "wall: white.  Not sure what color to do the overhead when I get to that stage.

post-18-0-63349700-1411324051_thumb.jpg

Similar process for the forecastle sole.

post-18-0-10672600-1411324052_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the following, I have also started to install the ceiling planks - I am using a 4-butt pattern, scale legnth, top plank is 20 feet (max length I am using for the planks).

post-18-0-33382800-1411324053_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-59645100-1411324052_thumb.jpg

Here is a good view of the bow framing - still some cleanup to do, and those with the black marking a a tad strong and will likely need to be trimmed when I get the deck beams installed.

post-18-0-42680800-1411324049_thumb.jpg

And, lastly, the token scenic view looking over Passamaquoddy Bay.

post-18-0-86654200-1411324053_thumb.jpg

So, next steps are to continue with the starboard side bunk, then tackle the wetwell. 

I will be keeping the midship section on the starboard side partially un-planked, including the ceiling, to allow a view inside.  The cabin will have a bulkhead closing off the forward end, so will be leaving off some of the planks on the deck (including above the starboard bunk) to allow a view inside the cabin. 

Contemplating how to build a small stove for the cabin, with a brickwork base, and perhaps a small table and benches.  The admiral is going to come up with some blankets for the bunks, and may see what I can find for scale cloting to hang from pegs on the forward bulkhead.

At any rate, the hull seems to have held it's shape well, and be faired pretty well.  I have one dip inside at frame 12 on the port side I need to fill a smidgen, and will probably need to thin that frame on the outside as well when I get to the planking.

Observations, suggestions, or queries are, as always, encouraged - and greatly appreciated!

Until the next time, then -

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Good progress mate, she has some lovely lines on her. :)  :)

Just one thing mate, I know Jesus walked on water but ships don't float very well without planks, I'm sure the crew would appreciate some. :o  :D  :D

Be Good My Friend

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

love your shots Wayne....... she's coming along nicely!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Really nice looking Wayne,  I like the framing on those ships and it just looks all fancy :D

And continue to love the on location shots!!!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

interesting concept Wayne...looking forward in seeing how this comes out  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Cool how the tailgate liner looks a bit like a marine railway...nice shots!

Thanks, Bob - it works well having a variety of water access around the island.

Love the pictures by the bay! Scale clothing is great idea, looking forward to see how you finish that tight cabin.

Thanks - now I just need to talk the boss lady into the idea! 

I, too, am looking forward to finding out how I finish the cabin!

G'day Wayne, I love these fully framed models and you are doing a magnificent job on yours, I've been tempted to buy one but have so much going at the present time, maybe later on, in the meantime I will enjoy your build,

best regards John.

Thanks for the kind words, John.  I have been amazed at how much enjoyment there is on this little POF kit - it is a challenge, but there are so many possibilities for making it "my own".

love your shots Wayne....... she's coming along nicely!

Frank

Thank you, Frank - will see if you still say that after my next update!

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Good progress mate, she has some lovely lines on her. :)  :)

Just one thing mate, I know Jesus walked on water but ships don't float very well without planks, I'm sure the crew would appreciate some. :o  :D  :D

Be Good My Friend

mobbsie

Dangit, Mobbsie - I hoped no one would notice!  You know how I hate planking the hul, but guess I gotta do it now.

Really nice looking Wayne,  I like the framing on those ships and it just looks all fancy :D

And continue to love the on location shots!!!!!

Appreciate the kind words, Adam.  Will see if the bones look as good when I get done with the interior work!

Very nice Wayne !

Finally you have found your way to the workshop  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Now, Sjors, it isn't that I couldn't find my way to the workshop, I just couldn't get the time to spend IN the workshop!!!

interesting concept Wayne...looking forward in seeing how this comes out  :)

Thanks, Popeye - me, too!!!!

Wayne

Epictetus

FYI, what I did for the stove but totaly made up. Bricks would be better than metal and maybe more appropriate?attachicon.gifstove.jpg

Thank you - that looks fantastic!  Hopefully I can come up with a stove that looks half that good!

Wayne

Epictetus

So - not quite ready for pictures yet, but have gotten quite a bit done on the old girl this month.  About 2/3 of the way through installing the ceiling, have started framing the wet well, and have the cabing bunks and sole all installed. 

Once I get the mid-ship sole installed and finish installing the ceiling I will post some photo's.  Right now, I am struggling with how to clamp the ceiling planks at the curve of the bilge.  No room from below, clamps are too short to come from above. 

The area that is giving me fits is right along the sole shown in this picture.

post-18-0-08072800-1412209955_thumb.jpg

Given my mechanical skills are minimal (I can change a light bulb, but no metal working talent or experience) and my tools are limited to simple hand tools, any ideas on a good clamping technique that I can devise without having to hire a machinist?

Will post a full update with pictures later this week.  Thanks, all!

Wayne

Epictetus

wooden clothes pins,  narrowed at the tips might help.  wish I could help you more ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wayne, could you use something like what I did for my top decks?  Run a section of planking or if you don't want any curve, use a larger stiff piece, and maybe build up the inside to match the curve, and use rubber bands to hold it down.

Something like this, but with the plank/board run through the frames, under the deck to stick out to either side, and then run the rubber band from one side to the other as needed to keep pressure on.  I'll remove the pictures after you've seen them if you'll remind me!

post-14925-0-85637100-1412230308_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-82854500-1412230316_thumb.jpg

So, then - a detailed update for you.

I am still working on the interior - this takes a good bit of careful measurement, cutting, sanding, throw it away and do it again.  But, I am learning as I go, and more importantly, having fun!

So - since last we chatted, I have nearly completed the ceiling along the port side.  Have one small piece to fit in that I pulled after applying primer (just didn't look right).

Photo the first - a view of the interior work in-progress.  As you can see, I have started fitting the wet well as it serves as a guide (sort of) for the ceiling.

post-18-0-99144800-1412469629_thumb.jpg

I temporarily fit the deck beams that the corner posts will terminate on as a clamping (and measuring) point for the corner posts.

post-18-0-50558400-1412469710_thumb.jpg

Over the next few evenings I began to add planking for the wet well.  I am foing to plank the port and forward sides to the top (deck beams) and leave the starboard and aft sides at least partly unplanked to allow a view inside the wet well.  The frames at the bottom remain exposed - will be painted with simulated waterproofing.  The hull planking will serve as the actual bottom for the wet well with 130 some odd small holes drilled to through to allow water to circulate (at least on the real vessel.  I will probably only do a couple of dozen).

post-18-0-40891600-1412469788_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-76619800-1412469799_thumb.jpg

This gives a nice view from the starboard side of the bedlogs and frames.  I need to do a bit of cleanup on the painting here.

post-18-0-69469500-1412469810_thumb.jpg

Another view of the ceiling on the port side showing the missing piece I need to replace

post-18-0-85586400-1412469828_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-72389300-1412469820_thumb.jpg

And a final view of the ceiling on both sides forward.

post-18-0-64743700-1412469836_thumb.jpg

Well, no gratuitious pictures at the bay today - been a wet, rainy day.  Maybe next time!

For now, though, the ECB moves back to the storage shaelf and the Essex comes back down for a bit of work.  Look forward to any recommendations on how I can make the ECB look better - and thanks for stopping by!

Wayne

Epictetus

This looks like quite a lot of interesting kit for a pretty low price (just over $75 through the end of October with their 40% off sale).  I really may have to pick this up and put it in the queue as my first PoF build.

It certainly looks like it's a very interesting build, and I'm glad you are posting it.

nice progress Wayne!  I've never seen this type of construction before,  so I'm finding it very interesting  ;)    really neat concept!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Good evening, one and all.  It has been quite some time since my last update - but here at last is one!

After spending more than a month not even picking up a piece of sandpaper or fitting a plank to the Essex, I have brought the Emma C. Berry back to the build table - being able to actually see the progress on her is quite rewarding.

Have been continuing my work on the interior details.  Continued fitting out the cabin, installed the rest of the ceiling on the port side and most of the ceiling on the starboard side as well - leaving a gap for a peep hole from the outside.

My biggest sense of accomplishment, though, is the progress on the wet well.  I intend to leave it at this stage - will be painting the interior in a red bottom paint color, but leaving a couple of planks bare to simulate repairs underway.  Will also be finishing the bulkhead at the forward end of the cabin (in progress) - that will extend all the way to the deck beams (they are only dry-fitted for now to aid in the wet well construction and cabin bulkhead installation).

The black square will have a sand base inside and then I will be making a small stove for the cabin - that may take a bit of trial and error!

Since I intend to display her as a working vessel undergoing some minor replanking (both deck and hull), I opted for somewhat of a "stained" or "tarnished" look for the ceiling.  Will also be distressing some of the other paint as well when the time gets closer.

At any rate, here are the latest set of photos - ENJOY!!!

post-18-0-89460900-1416100477_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-83658800-1416100478_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-67781200-1416100479_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-08718000-1416100480_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-84792400-1416100481_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-31914600-1416100478_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-26916400-1416100479_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-49134600-1416100480_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-85906200-1416100480_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-38654700-1416100481_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus