Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

Brilliant update Wayne!!  She's really moving along now.

I'll take it that the Stove isn't part of the kit.. (I have Emm's upstairs but haven't examined the kit in any great detail yet) it will be a fantastic detail and one I might steal from you.. cough! cough!  I mean decide to build totally from my own idea, having never read your Build Log of course or been following it for the last age or anything.. cough! cough! some more..  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Your modeling is getting better.  I have always been amazed at interior planking and the way it was done.  

David B

Wayne,

I got one of these in the wings waiting too.  The sides of that wet well have to run in against the hull planking for a water tight fit, right?

Walt Biles

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant update Wayne!!  She's really moving along now.

I'll take it that the Stove isn't part of the kit.. (I have Emm's upstairs but haven't examined the kit in any great detail yet) it will be a fantastic detail and one I might steal from you.. cough! cough!  I mean decide to build totally from my own idea, having never read your Build Log of course or been following it for the last age or anything.. cough! cough! some more..  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D

All The Best

Eamonn

Eamonn -

Sorry, no stove in the kit with this one!

I am working on an update that will show the intermediate stage result - may go back and tweak the design slightly, though.  Steal away, my friend - you flatter me!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

I got one of these in the wings waiting too.  The sides of that wet well have to run in against the hull planking for a water tight fit, right?

Walt Biles

Walt -

The fore and aft pieces (the bed logs) need to fit tightly to the hull planking to get the good seal.  The bed logs along the port and starboard have grooves (forget the technical term) that allow them to fit over the frames and then down to the planking.  On the real boat, there would be a great deal of caulking and so on to seal the fit.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Good evening, one and all.  Have been working on the ECB with some nice progress. 

First, a full overhead view of current status.

post-18-0-94944300-1417910948_thumb.jpg

What, you may ask, are those things hanging over the rails?  Well, mister man, them be home built nets for the hold. 

Yep, the Admiral has been busily making fish nets for the ECB.

post-18-0-47232100-1417910937_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-75111500-1417910940_thumb.jpg

But wait, there's more!  We can't have the crew shivering on the cold cabin - so knitted using common pins as the knitting needles, we have a scale blanket for the crew.

post-18-0-53171900-1417910943_thumb.jpg

I am still working on the stove - using the Fatsco Tiny Tot Stove as a model, it is made of a dowel cut to scale (about 18 inches tall, 13 inches in diameter).  The legs are just toothpicks.  Will be adding some sand into the base and a cooktop before running the stovepie to the overhead.

post-18-0-03105900-1417910957_thumb.jpg

Have been working on color scheme - think I will go back to a grey for the outside of the wet well - the brown just doesn't feel right.  I like the bottom red on the interior.  Will leave it partially unpainted as a repair underway.

post-18-0-64856800-1417910951_thumb.jpg

I will be keeping this section unplanked.  I will also be leaving off some deck planks - probably around the wet well and also at the cabin.  Not quite sure yet.

post-18-0-90652000-1417910945_thumb.jpg

I also have finished the bulkhead between the cabin and the hold.  The hold side will be painted in the same way as the hold so it looks a tad weathered and worn.  The cabin side will be a dirty white - backs up to the coal stove, so it would tend to get a bit mucky.  I still need to do some more painting and paneling for the cabin before I start installing the deck framing.  The forward hold is nearly finished, just need to decide what is going to be in there and anchor it in place.

post-18-0-38937700-1417910954_thumb.jpg

Appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to make it look better - still a long road to travel with this one and am enjoying the ride!

Wayne

Epictetus

Great work Wayne!!  It looks pretty good.  Good looking nets and blanket.  Those are the details that bring a model to life. 

I'm enjoying watching your build.

Walt Biles

Hi Wayne,

Glad to see your back on ECB (wish I was but got stalled on the trailboards) Love the way you stained the ceiling. Are you going to also give them bedding?

And for all your followers who admire POF I can only say give it a try! This is a very good kit and the instructions got me over the planking stigma.

Wayne! LOVE the nets and blanket - those are absolultey great,  nice touch - and compliments to the admiral, knitting with common pins?  WOW!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Wayne,

You are silence for a while but when you are coming you have something !

Nice details with the net and blanket !

For the rest everything looks great.

Well done so far SIR !!

Sjors

Hi Wayne,

Glad to see your back on ECB (wish I was but got stalled on the trailboards) Love the way you stained the ceiling. Are you going to also give them bedding?

And for all your followers who admire POF I can only say give it a try! This is a very good kit and the instructions got me over the planking stigma.

Well, the Admiral read this and is now contemplating how to make them some bedding - she muttered something about the mattress stuffed with straw and wandered off with a glazed look and something about how thick would a piece of straw be at scale....

Wayne

Epictetus

She is absolutely coming alive.  Congrats to the Admiral on her fiber work!!!!  Loving the stove.

Smiling over here   :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wayne! LOVE the nets and blanket - those are absolultey great,  nice touch - and compliments to the admiral, knitting with common pins?  WOW!

Hey, Adam - many thanks for the kind words!  Should have seen the looks she got at the doctor's office waiting room the other day while she was knitting the blanket.  Priceless!!!!

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne..... real nice detail with the nets and blanket, ..... don't forget the rum!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Your ecb is beginning to shine and show character good job.  Now take a rest and go to the pub with the Admiral and get her a fine bottle of wine and give her a toast.

David B

My neighbor back home was making a scene for his sons class and used some uncut grass that he missed after they dried out they looked great.

David B

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

it's so cool to hear that your admiral is helping you.   it's neat,  the way fabrics and different materials,  adds extra detail.  :)  you've done some very nice progress.......looking very sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Wayne,

Some nice details going on there mate, how about a stove, some rope coils, waders, wax coat and cap, mug of tea and don't forget the heads.

You did ask :P  :P :P  

Have a great Christmas my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Wayne,

Living near Mystic Seaport, I've viewed the Berry many times. Have been watching your build from the start.

Are the below deck details a copy of those on the real Berry? Will they be visible in the finished model?

Here's an interesting diorama for you to take in. Master modeler Dave Revelia used Model Shipways ECB's

frames for this scratch built scene. Diorama scale is 1/48.  A 1/8 scale kit with this scene in mind was released

a few years back. I built it over an eleven month period. 

John

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_dave_revelia.html

Here are a few photos of my shipyard taken while still adding details. This is a kit from Sierra West Scale Models.

Both the keel and frames are constructed from laminated layers of laser cut chipboard and plywood.

The last photo was taken while the dio was on a contest table at a Fine Scale EXPO last year. The setting sun

showed it in a different light, so to speak. 

I took a few more just now that shows the completed diorama. Have to resize and will post if you like. 

John Elwood

post-15982-0-98371700-1418837132_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-48161300-1418837299_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-92929800-1418837338_thumb.jpg

post-15982-0-88819300-1418838480_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne,

Living near Mystic Seaport, I've viewed the Berry many times. Have been watching your build from the start.

Are the below deck details a copy of those on the real Berry? Will they be visible in the finished model?

Here's an interesting diorama for you to take in. Master modeler Dave Revelia used Model Shipways ECB's

frames for this scratch built scene. Diorama scale is 1/48.  A 1/8 scale kit with this scene in mind was released

a few years back. I built it over an eleven month period. 

John

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_dave_revelia.html

John -

Thanks for the link and your pictures - very nice work!

My below deck detailing is my own take on what it might be like on the ECB during her active fishing life - taking some liberties with the color scheme (particularly in the hold) to reflect a working boat vice one that has been refurbished.  The cabin is roughly following the plans for the kit.

Wayne

Epictetus

Wayne... Please accept my  apology for not asking your permission to post the above photos on your

build log. That's not like me. Will delete if you wish. 

John Elwood 

Your pictures are more than welcome - they give me some ideas on how to do my display when I get to that stage.

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Some nice details going on there mate, how about a stove, some rope coils, waders, wax coat and cap, mug of tea and don't forget the heads.

You did ask :P  :P :P  

Have a great Christmas my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hey, Mobbsie - thanks for stopping by!  The stove is about 80% built - a bit more detailing and then the stovepipe before I install it.

Rope coils - in progress.  The Admiral frowned when i suggested foul weather gear - something about not knitting with the antennas from a fly.  Go figure!  Probably will have that mug and kettle, and will add a bucket as the head :P

Wayne

Epictetus