Emma C Berry by trippwj - Model Shipways - Scale 1:32

Hi Wayne..... real nice detail with the nets and blanket, ..... don't forget the rum!! :P

Frank

Hmmm...why is it always the RUM????

Any suggestions on the appropriate container for 1890-1910 era? 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Building continues at a snails pace here in the ole shipyard.  Continuing that gradual work on the ships stove.  You may recall when last we visited it looked like this.

post-18-0-40345800-1419111599_thumb.jpg

The stove itself is a length of 3/8" diameter dowel (works out to about a 12" diameter coal stove). 

The flue pipe is made from 3/31" dowel.  I decided to replace the metal piece that came with the kit and make it all out of dowel.  Still need to finish sand, prime and paint the pipe and add the final angled piece at the top.

post-18-0-57890400-1419111844_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-03716800-1419111847_thumb.jpg

You may have noticed the worker - since it gets cold up here the Admiral kindly knitted him a watch cap to ease labor relations a bit.

post-18-0-50087300-1419111914_thumb.jpg

She also wasn't totally satisfied with the first blanket, so has knitted a new one for the cabin.

post-18-0-14207000-1419111955_thumb.jpg

These last couple of shots show the soot on the bulkhead and the coal dust from the stove.  Will be a small coal bin on the starboard side of the stove (next piece on my list).

post-18-0-26211600-1419112096_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-73206200-1419112098_thumb.jpg

Other than a couple of more interior details, I guess my next step is to start framing in the deck itself.  For that, will need to practice with the scroll saw so I can cut the 30 bazillion knees I need for the deck beams.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I was hoping that wasn't the crewman's hair.  Where do I order the blankets????

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yep, I was wondering about the hair-do too! Looking good Wayne - love the blanket. :D

auburn..........I was going to ask what hair color he used { so I'd never buy it :D} .....then I saw it was a hat  whewwwwwww!  {shoulda gave him a mullet.......:D}    great bit of progress Wayne....you've done some nice detailing there  ;)

wishing you and your admiral the greatest of holiday seasons!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 months later...

Greetings - and please accept my apology for the lengthy delay between posts!  Between the snow onslaught in January and February and then my employment change last month, well, it has been rather difficult to get motivated to spend time in the build yard.  Most of the progress shown was from January.  I am trying to get my enthusiasm back to move on with Emma and hope to be splitting time between a side research project, the job search and the build table.

At any rate, the deck beams are nearly all in - 3 more major beams and a few cross pieces to add.  I have opted not to do the knees - I tried a couple of times but they did not come out well at all.

View from above

post-18-0-14736500-1428015493_thumb.jpg

Profile view.  Note the very low clearance in the forward hold!  The cabin will have a overall height just above the worker standing there.

post-18-0-66053100-1428015493_thumb.jpg

Next up is install the last few deck beams and then start planking.

Suggestions desired - and thanks for stopping by!

Wayne

Epictetus

Great to see you making headway under some difficult circumstances.  I think we all know how outside influences can effect our building progress.

View from overhead is impressive!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Welcome back Wayne at least you were able to dig out of that mess.  Your Emma looks great.

David B

Nice to see you back in the shipyard Wayne. I look forward to more progress on this lovely little model.

WAYNE :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see you with tools at your beck and call! ABout the knees ... Any indication how the should be mounted? I'm not familliar with Emma C.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice to see you back Wayne....the Emma is looking real nice too........ Wayne... you should've moved to Arizona,then you wouldn't have had to worry about that stuff called snow!! ... I would have said Calif. because I think you would have made a good neighbor but,unfortunately... we are running out of water!! :( .......... :D :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Here's a suggestion for you - as you place the deck beams, be aware of the locations of the holes in the deck covering board (or waterway) for the stanchions. The stanchions come later in the process but they are designed, in some places, to fit right next to a frame. I thought I had followed the plans when set the deck beams. But when I placed the covering board much later, I discovered that some of the holes were right over the tops of deck beams. Of course, by then it was far too late to do anything to correct it - the deck was already installed - so I had to cut the stanchions short and epoxy them in. But this would be a good time to take the covering boards out of the matrix and place them in position to see if you have room for the stanchions.

Cheers -

John

Hi Wayne,

Good to see you back my friend, motivation can be a real bugger to get. Sometimes you just have to pick up a tool and play with it, it takes time mate but it looks like your getting there.

I'm afraid I cant help you with your dilemma mate, I know nothing about this little boat but I know you will sort it somehow.

Good luck with you employment search my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Great to see you making headway under some difficult circumstances.  I think we all know how outside influences can effect our building progress.

View from overhead is impressive!!!

Thanks, Augie - moving forward, keeping spirits up.  Gotta be something better just over the horizon!

Hi Wayne

It's nice to see you back in your old ship yard and that you are continuing your build on your great ship the Emma c. Berry. Hopefully the snow is gone for this year, We up here in Sutton have gotten of rather lightly compared to the huge amount that we received last year. But the family in Nova Scotia are still up to there necks in it so to speak.  Looking forward to more great up dates,                                                            ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you, Lawrence.  She is certainly no match for your Annie, but she is a fun build!

Welcome back Wayne at least you were able to dig out of that mess.  Your Emma looks great.

David B

Thanks, David.  Got a dusting of snow last night and again this morning, but the snow is slowly but surely melting.  Only 30 inches or so (on average) left to go!

Nice to see you back in the shipyard Wayne. I look forward to more progress on this lovely little model.

Thank you, Grant.  It was tough to get motivated, but moving along now.  Reorganized the shop today, cleaning out my old office to convert into a bedroom.

Wayne

Epictetus

WAYNE :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see you with tools at your beck and call! ABout the knees ... Any indication how the should be mounted? I'm not familliar with Emma C.

The knees on this one are mounted horizontally between the deck beams. 

post-18-0-20145800-1428252678_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!

Wayne

Epictetus

Nice to see you back Wayne....the Emma is looking real nice too........ Wayne... you should've moved to Arizona,then you wouldn't have had to worry about that stuff called snow!! ... I would have said Calif. because I think you would have made a good neighbor but,unfortunately... we are running out of water!! :( .......... :D :D :D

Frank

Thank you, Frank, but I think I'll take cold and snow over hot and parched.

Here's a suggestion for you - as you place the deck beams, be aware of the locations of the holes in the deck covering board (or waterway) for the stanchions. The stanchions come later in the process but they are designed, in some places, to fit right next to a frame. I thought I had followed the plans when set the deck beams. But when I placed the covering board much later, I discovered that some of the holes were right over the tops of deck beams. Of course, by then it was far too late to do anything to correct it - the deck was already installed - so I had to cut the stanchions short and epoxy them in. But this would be a good time to take the covering boards out of the matrix and place them in position to see if you have room for the stanchions.

Cheers -

John

John - thank you for that warning!  I need to check that before I put the last couple of beams in to be sure I haven't created more challenges!

Hi Wayne,

Good to see you back my friend, motivation can be a real bugger to get. Sometimes you just have to pick up a tool and play with it, it takes time mate but it looks like your getting there.

I'm afraid I cant help you with your dilemma mate, I know nothing about this little boat but I know you will sort it somehow.

Good luck with you employment search my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

Than you, Mobbsie - will keep you posted on progress!  One interview thus far, but didn't get the position.  Will keep looking, though!

Wayne

Epictetus

Wayne,

In a way lucky they are mounted like this and not vertically. Those knees are between two beams which actually span the breadth of three beams. It means you will need to get a few beams out ... You can then mount the knees and remount the remaining beams, for those knees support the beam in the middle.. It's not a small operation but doable ... If you plan to lay the entire deck, you might leave the knees out, but you will not be building conform specs ...

Carl

I remembered Yves build, and looked it up. The knees start at post 3 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topicgo /183-emma-c-berry-by-yvesvidal-132-model-shipways/#entry1352 You can see how the knees are mounted and the beams surrounding it and the beam supported by the knees ...

Carl

good to see you >somewhat< back to the table........I've had the doldrums before.   all it takes though,  is a thought or an idea.........and the right time,  to get you back in full swing  :)    it will happen.........just keep pick'in up that x-actor.   gotta keep those muscles in tune,  for when your ready  ;)

I thought you already found another job........guess I was mistaken :(   continued luck in that endeavor.......I'm sure you'll find one soon!  ;)

as far as you knee problem goes.......if your planning on a cut-away deck,  you may have to include them.   you could scope it down though to just the area  that is exposed.   you have some pretty clear plans though,  as to how they are shaped.....just make a couple and see how they fit  ;)    this may be the spark your looking for  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update, but have not been totally slacking!

The deck beams have all been installed, as well as the covering board.  With additional helpers here, we have done some preliminary work on the building slip (the 2 young ones, 8 & 10, think it is fun to be able to spread glue and sprinkle cleaned beach sand for the base).

post-18-0-57924500-1433100992_thumb.jpg

Next step is to start planking the hull (and adding details to the building slip).

Wayne

Epictetus

This is one lovely little boat Wayne, love the slipway.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

A really cool dioramic display.....she's looking real sweet!  nice work Wayne!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dioramas are just too cool, I used to love doing them when I worked plastic armor and aircraft models some many years ago.

Lookin sweet sir! Lookin sweet!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 2 months later...

After several months of distractions (well, 6 weeks with the grand kids doing stuff, including working on Cricket's Pilot Boat Elsa (formerly Phantom), then starting work (2 weeks in Bangor for training, a week of driving 50 miles each morning and afternoon for training at another office, then a week of open to close training locally) I finally got a bit of ambition today to place a couple of planks on the ECB.  Not much to show, but at least the first 2 strakes are lining up well port and starboard.

Till the next time -

post-18-0-45636700-1440362113_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-31229900-1440362116_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Any progress is good mate, it's all lining up very nicely.

Excellent news regarding the job, I had every faith in you, congrats.

Be Good

Mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Wayne,

Be Good

Mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Wayne,

Be Good

Mobbsie

mobbsie