HMS Alert 1777 - 1/64 by Lee

Lee,

She's looking pretty good.  A little fairing and the framing should work for you.  The only thing I see that might give you problems is a couple frames in the mid ship area that might have to be de-glued and re-set but that will depend on how flexible the frames are.  If they're flexible enough, a bit of heat might work to move them into position and then the wales and deck clamps to secure them. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for kind comment, Mark. I agree with you about the importance of frame alignment. I've thought about using base plate with squaring jig but I concluded it would be useless due to the irregularity of frame shape. Fortunately, frames are flexible enough, I'll try to adjust frames to keep alignment and symmetry during joining cross members.

Lee

Lee,

It looks like that joggle in the middle got sorted out with the keel and limber.  :)   As for the breasthook, I think it connects to the stem and to the frames. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Lee,

Your workmanship is obviously terrific, but I have a question.  Assuming there are no gun ports, the sides of which the frames would form, why are there filler pieces, offsets, and dog legs in some of the futtocks?  I understand the siding of each futtock reduces as you go up, so there would be a step at the butts, but I cannot figure out a reason for the other shifts of the futtocks.  Again, your workmanship is very good, but I would like to understand the whys of the dispostion of the frames.

Thank you

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi, Allan. Thank you for your interest on my building log. I'm following the plan of "Anatomy of the Ship" series written by Goodwin. Yes, there are evenly spaced 6 gun ports at each side of hull and also, some of top timber are used as the post supporting the sheer rail. In my understanding, the shifting of top timbers is assumed to accommodate the mismatch of gun port and frame position. Anyway, it is quite unique frame design.

Lee

Hi, Mark. Thank you for your kind comments. I've reviewed some logs in this forum to get the answer and found that the clutch and breast hook placed over the planking from the log "HMS Naiad" by EdT. So I'll de-bond the hook and score the bottom to fit to the profile of planking boards.

Lee

Yep... you're right.  I didn't have my thinking cap on straight.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Lee,

as I've written earlier I think that the frames design in the AotS is wrong. The shifted top timbers are only a fix for this design. Also the positions of the gun ports don't match the position of the original drawing.

I could only find double frames for cutters. If I read Allans comment he confirmed what I think.

There exist no contemporary drawing of the framing design for the Rattlesnake class. I've drawn a simplified framing but will now try to make a new reconstruction of the framing to check if my ideas are possible.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

beautiful work Lee,

very detailed framing for scale 1:64, precise and neat, Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Tip - Joining Clamp

In this small scale model, the spacing between frames is very narrow, sometimes less than 1mm, holding parts after gluing is somewhat difficult. For this, I made special clamping tool and found that it is quite useful and handy, so I introduce it to all. As can be seen at last pic, it can be made easily with paper clip and small wood block and wedge without special tools.

Cheers

post-14721-0-86650300-1419214834_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-03687100-1419214880_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-13575700-1419214914_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-81787400-1419214942_thumb.jpg

Thick stuff, footwaling, mast step, hooks and aft magazine

I decided to plank only the port side to see the inner parts after finishing this ship. As one trial, half of aft magazine platform was planked. To get some contrast, I choose lumber of bright domestic pear wood for the planking board.

Cheers,

post-14721-0-52815300-1419298846_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-53623600-1419298885_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-12757300-1419298923_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-68617800-1419298950_thumb.jpg

Edited by JK Lee

Hi Lee.

This is a really outstanding model.

And your craftsmanship is so good.

Very nice photographs that really show alots of nice details.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Port side inner hull planking, limber board and bolting

Inner hull between thick stuffs of port side were planked. Planking boards were tapered and dropped at the ends of fore and aft.

To simulate bolting, blackened steel pins were nailed. Two kinds of bolt heads, square and round size of around 1mm, were tried but they seem to be oversized in this small scaled ship.

post-14721-0-85666200-1419739241_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-75380100-1419739279_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-25329900-1419739333_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-37892800-1419739365_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-52578500-1419739397_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-83611500-1419739432_thumb.jpg

Very nice work on the planking, Lee.  Will you be leaving the other unplanked? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice..Very nice.

Antony.

Completed Mayflower

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Treenailing, aft magazine & lower deck beam, oiling... some progress at the inside of hull

In this small scale, diameter of treenail would be about 0.5mm, however, it's not easy for me making treenail of that size. Yes, from the other's building logs, I learned how to make treenail with draw plate but I failed. I think I need more experience. So, I drilled 0.5mm empty holes without treenails on the planked board. I hope I can try again in the near future.

The fitting on aft magazine was simple, light room and magazine access stair. Lower deck beams over the magazine were added.

One more progress was finishing oil trial. I usually used linseed oil and wax for the finishing of furniture but they have a problem of bonding strength with glue on the oiled surface. So I tried varnish type oil and found that the result of joining strength and color was not so bad.

Happy new year!

Lee

post-14721-0-25293800-1419991050_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-25025800-1419991092_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-42631800-1419991140_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-47713300-1419991183_thumb.jpg

beautiful build Lee,

the Fitting out of the interior will be great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lower deck beam and deck planking, pump well and shot locker

Happy new year 2015!

Lower deck was partly planked over the aft magazine. I'm not sure my understanding of plan around the aft clutch, some part of clutch crossed the deck plank.

In this small ship, lower deck beam structure is so simple, ie., beams are not curved (no camber), no knees and a few carlings. Pump well and shot locker was installed in front of lower transverse bulkhead.

Cheers.

post-14721-0-98439800-1420353326_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-28665600-1420353371_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-39456700-1420353412_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-04461600-1420353472_thumb.jpg

Really nice progress, Lee.

Your build log is a big motivation, to work on the drawings for my build.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hello Lee.

Building at this small scale ... You must have surgeons hands and fingers :)

Capturing and incorporating all the little details is what I find so interesting about this build.

Truly amazing build.

A happy new year to u Lee.

Regards Antony.

Completed Mayflower