HMS Alert 1777 - 1/64 by Lee

Tip - Joining Clamp

In this small scale model, the spacing between frames is very narrow, sometimes less than 1mm, holding parts after gluing is somewhat difficult. For this, I made special clamping tool and found that it is quite useful and handy, so I introduce it to all. As can be seen at last pic, it can be made easily with paper clip and small wood block and wedge without special tools.

Cheers

Lee,

Very nice work, I`ve looked into yours (1:64)  and Christian`s  build ( 1:32) several times now, and because being on the watch, highly inspirated, and gathering information on a 18th century naval cutter decided to obtain a rare "revised version" of  Goodwin`s book, with a great bit of luck at Ebay, for scratch-building the cutter "Alert" in 1:48 scale with lapstrake planking.

That spanning clamp you designed is a very smart little jig I like very much. Trust that many fans of your build will be watching your progress with great interest, well done so far, it is a very ambitious task in that scale, but looks wonderful

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

beautiful work Lee,

I`d love to see some Close ups of the floor you just did, it Looks great....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

That's beautiful, Lee. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lee I have just finished going through your build, what a beautiful job you are doing. Your workmanship is very clean and crisp, I shall continue to follow along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Lee,

very nice build, also the dark Background of the photos in contrast to the wooden tones looks great

Very inspiring !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lee,

just a question, I remember you mentioned that only one hull-side will be Planked on in- and outside for leaving the Frame disposal for sight to the inside. This will be wonderful, and is completely on my wave as well......, but due to the Frames Standing quite Close this will narrow the sight very much. Do you have something arranged for a better sight inside. Will the upper deck be semi-planked, with perhaps reduced number of deckbeams or so ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Question about planking line

As shown in the pictures, flat lower deck plane at the midship is almost coincide with upper thick stuff plank line, however, at the fore most deck plane is far below from the line, ie., inner hull plank line seems too much curved upward at the fore section. Is it generally right or I made mistake?

In Goodwin's book, he did show very little information about inner hull planking. He only commented thick stuff placed over the chock of futtock joint. So I followed that as possible as I can.

post-14721-0-25189700-1420763485_thumb.jpg

Upper deck clamp, deck hook, inner hull planking between deck clamp and thick stuff.

Upper deck hook was joined directly to the stem and hawse pieces at the height of upper deck line. The deck clamps were also placed at both side of inner hull following the deck plane line. Then, inner hull between clamp and thick stuff of port side was covered with normal planking boards as was done below the thick stuff.

Cheers,

Lee

post-14721-0-43343200-1421028426_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-32320900-1421028462_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-52509700-1421028479_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-35867400-1421028509_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-66962800-1421028534_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-28178500-1421028577_thumb.jpg

Thank you Wyzwyk for your interest on my building log.

Thank you Druxey for your kind comments on the planking line. Though the upper thick stuff lines are much curved upward, they ended just below the upper deck hook fortunately. I think the ends should be terminated at around upper breast hook to get more reasonable result.

post-14721-0-34032400-1421035309_thumb.jpg

Upper deck beam

Cambered upper deck beam were prepared by steam bending method and joined on the deck clamp temporarily. Bending was more simple than cutting curved beam, however, it is not easy keeping bending radius constantly for each beam. As can be seen on the following pics, some of beams are needed rectifying the curvature. After marking the position of carling, they will be removed for scoring recesses, attaching hanging and lodging knees and so on.

Regards,

Lee

post-14721-0-58064700-1421368327_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-69569200-1421368346_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-54111200-1421368369_thumb.jpg

Hi Lee,

looks very good! It's a lovely little and fine model!
According to beams: I would highly recommend to cut them instead of bending. It's not soo much more work. Otherwise this can end with bad surprises later... Now it's a state where you can avoid some problems.

Alex

Edited by Alex M

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hi Lee.

As always you continue to produce outstanding work which amazes me.

This will be a splendid model and I wonder on how someone can put so much detail into such a beautiful ship.

Just outstanding.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Lee,

excellent looking deck beams,

but I`m with Alex, and would`nt take the risk of those beams remembering that were straight once, to slowly creep into that straight Position again.

Suggest that you fit some pillars midships in order to safely and  permanently Keep the curvature of those beams

example...

Nils

post-3445-0-51562700-1421594764_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi, I always appreciate your kind words and "like"s.

Alex and Nils, thank you for the kind recommends about deck beam and I agree with you. At this moment, I removed all the beams from the ship and will observe closely the shape change, however, I'm not so worry about the flattening of beams because the hull wall will act as the constraint of shape change. Anyway, this is a good chance of experiment and in the next project, I may take the method of shape cutting.

Regards. Lee

Going outside of hull

By the lots of joining long stuffs, she became strong enough to work on outside of hull. First, stepped and rough starboard side surface of frame was smoothened with rasp, file and scraper was used for final finishing. Port side frame surface, where the planking will be scheduled, was only finished with rasp.

The main wale was prepared with 2mm thick ebony strake. They were steam bent and joined at the same height of upper deck clamp.

Next step will be the planking of port side by clinker type.

Cheers, Lee

post-14721-0-37342000-1421894158_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-22951400-1421894182_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-84519900-1421894202_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-41158000-1421894224_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-77831500-1421894248_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-64381500-1421894274_thumb.jpg

beautiful Lee,

clinkered port side....., that will be a treat...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Progress of port side hull planking

About half of port side hull has been planked up to now. It takes so many time and rework than I expected. I thought there will be a little chance of fairing of clinker type planking, I was careful on work. However, I found there are many unsatisfied area. I learn that "Do not believe the view by eye." and taking picture is much helpful to check the result.

Cheers, Lee

post-14721-0-77325300-1423454985_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-72610800-1423455004_thumb.jpg

post-14721-0-00716700-1423455903_thumb.jpg

Edited by JK Lee

Good work Lee,

ist going to look beautiful when the portside planking is completed

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very good planking, Lee!

I find a clinker hull easier to plank than a carvel one....

How many clinked hulls you have build? Can you show us fotos?

Alex

Edited by Alex M

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hello Lee.

This is most excellent work. And your ship is looking very good.

Is it possible to have a close up of the planking overlap.

I am very interested in this method of planking.

Many thanks Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section