Bounty Launch by Canute - Model Shipways - 1/16 - Small

Ken!!!

You're alive, I mean, you're Launch is alive!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

All this talk of hairdryers reminds of an unexpected benefit I had working on my launch; doing it in winter in a wood-heated house. The relative humidity is bone-dry in here when the stove's running 24/7, and I found that soaked planks dried really quickly. Not sure what would or will happen when I work on a similar model in our humid summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I was contemplating my garboards and sheer planks, in order to add the next planks. One sheet of the laser cut planks has a very pronounced cross grain, so it looks like the outside will get painted. I'd have to go very dark and the grain still would show. :(

Then, looking at the bow, I realized the hood ends did not remain in the rabbets. Arggh! :angry:  Up with that, I will not put!  Out came the IPA (no, Cap'n, not any kind of ale) and 5 minutes later, I popped the sheer planks off. (Ya know, I could have used a Smithwicks about then. Down to me last Guinness now :( ) Cleaned off the old glue and I will very carefully, with more lighting and my good old optivisor, re-glue the sheers. I've been putzing around on this hull long enough. Sorry for the building buffoonery, mates!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When dealing with hood ends, I found it very helpful to use a form with the same curve as the rabbet, to ensure the hood ends stayed in place. Photos and descriptions are here. It's easy to do, you just cut a piece of the scrap wood from which the stem of the keel came, and clamp it parallel to the rabbet. This gives a strong overhang of wood that the hood end can butt up against, making it impossible for it to pop out while drying.

I first tried using a clamp itself against the rabbet, for the hood end to push against, but found that a clamp strong enough to hold the pressure also dented the keel. Using the strips of wood works better, as the flat surfaces of wood grain on wood grain have way more friction than a clamp, and a few clamps can be used along the length of the piece, holding it very securely and not risking any damage to the keel.

Worked like a charm for the rest of my planking once I figured it out.

Edited by Cathead

Cathead, excellent tip. I've got those pieces ready for the rest of the planking.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Looks like I had the link wrong in the first post. It's fixed now. Also, here's the photo from my log showing what this looks like.

post-17244-0-72200900-1421280891_thumb.j

Great Progress Cathead!

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have both garboards and strakes glued up. Now fitting the #2 strakes by boiling the hood ends. I beefed up the stem form with the kit scraps for the stem bracing. Per Cathead in #65 and 67 above, it helps to hold the hood ends in place. I penciled in the lines for strake alignment on the inside of the curves; it matches up with the pencil lines I already had in place in the stem's rabbet.

Ken

Hey I just thought of something Ken. It seemed like more than a few of us had our boats spread wider after planking and removal from the jig. So when you get to the point of popping it off, you might consider glueing in some stabilizers to prevent that from happening. And, I'm hanging by a thread here waiting for photos.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

thanks for the comments and likes, fellows. Squirrel Whisperer, your wish is my command...  ;)

post-15839-0-79318600-1430673350_thumb.jpg

This is my take on Cathead's stem blocking. I cut the part outlines from the parts sheet, marked them to show where the planks should fall and clamped them onto the stem. These are for the sheer strake and next few planks. I have a second set for the lower planks.

post-15839-0-59025200-1430673364_thumb.jpg

Sitting with the Admiral eating breakfast this morning, she asked how the Launch was going. :huh:  I said I had to bend the ends in boiling water and affix them. She asked why I wasn't using the blow-dryer to bend the ends. Hmm, the Darlin' is on to something here. :o  So port side plank #2 is hot air bent.

post-15839-0-97968100-1430673379_thumb.jpg

One kind of overall shot. I'm tapering the edges by sanding the inside edges to tighten up the outside edges of the planks. Another Maestro Chuck technique. :dancetl6:

Matt, I've been thinking about that spread issue. Methinks the cherry frames don't sit as tight to the forms as they should, hence the spread. I may tack glue the center seat or affix a light weight spreader clamp across the thwarts. Think light but strong.  :)

Ken

She's coming along nicely Ken. And yes---Blow dryer is a good idea. That's why she's the Admiral and gets the big bucks.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Ken, I think you're right about the cherry frames not quite sitting tight with the forms. A number of mine had just a bit of space after drying, they never quite fit perfectly. You almost have to bend them TOO far to get them to rebound to just the right shape. Be interesting for someone to try sanding the molds down a bit too far, and see if the frames bent onto them ended up just right.

I also suspect this is why some of us needed stealers. If the molds are absolutely tight, then the planks as pre-cut may fit just barely right. If there's any spreading at all, then naturally the hull becomes a lot wider and you end up needing stealers. Just a theory, but it makes geometric sense to me.

Otherwise looks just right so far!

Looking awesome Ken. I too love the hair dryer.

• 5 months later...

Ken, I be jus' a-wonderin' if ye be makin' further progress on getting yer Launch launched ??

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Ken,

Wow, I see you're getting some sage advise from excellent builders :)  

I'm experiencing the same problem with my AL Bounty build.  After checking the planks carefully I find many, if not most, are cut across the grain...making then very difficult to work with.  I made the painful ($$) choice to replace them....along with the dowels trying to pose as masts  :) 

My compliments on your fine progress  :)   

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Cap'n, it's lurking in the shop. I've been lured by a card ship from the American Civil War. Not to worry, I'll get back to it. ;)

Boyd, thanks for the compliments. I had a wee block and wandered into a card model. I'm more comfortable with wood, just need to do some of the basics better. I'm fortunate for the assistance of all you folks and hope I don't prove your judgement isn't misplaced. :)

Edited by Canute

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hey Ken, just came across your build log.  Your planking is amazing - even more so that it is your first wooden build.  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello Ken, just saw your build log and i think that you did a great job. !! I will follow with interest!! :) :)

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thank you Mike and Dimitris. And the likes from the posse, Matt, George and Cap'n Steve. I hope to jump back into this soon. Cutting paper and card is beginning to pale in comparison to the feel of working in wood. I may end up moving back and forth.

Ken

Nice build Ken.... really nice work on the planking!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found your build. Very impressive. And you make no apology for taking your time. Really impressive. I see your are getting a ton of advice from folks. Most impressive of all. The commonuity is very generous and supportive and you have tapped into that BIG TIME. Way to go.

While certainly good for you, its great for me too. The conversation you are having with them really shows me the thought processes behind the approaches and the choices that get made. Your log is great for this.

The pics are great too. They show the work of one who really appreciates craftsmanship. While increasingly rare these days, craftmanship appears to be a hallmark of the model ship builders. You are proving yourself more than up to standard. I will enjoy following your progress.

BTW, thank you for the likes. They are voices of encouragement. And as a beginner, I need all I can get.

Joe

Jim, this boat building hobby really is a group effort. I'm better in some areas and need help in others. And this community is great. Thanks for you comments.

Ken

Not at all, Paul. I grew up not far from Cresskil; over in Lodi. I'm getting back into the wood side again. The card boat is on hold until I can make smoother circular cuts in the cardstock. I can't smooth it as much as I'd like.

You should also look at the builds by Matt (Squirrel Whisperer), Captain Steve and Mario. Good work on those.

Ken

Hi Ken,

These are all important lessons for me and my Armed Pinnace.

Regarding the bending of planks, I also use some old curling tongs the wife discarded, seems to work a treat.

Keep it up mate, I'm watching.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for all the comments and likes, folks. I expected to dive back in but my sinuses said "No,Sir" since Christmas. I am bummed. :angry:

I'm planning to do some bends with the hair dryer, ala the Maestro's technique. I may see if the Admiral has an unused curling iron, too.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Sort of a reawakening for me over the weekend. I finally added another plank. :) :)  One small step for a ship building padawan.... ;) 

Been a bit of a mental block, so I sat down with the Admiral, a former Reg Nurse and worked it all out. I had to get past a few ideas about being "available" for "small" little jobs (GIs may recall what an sljo is) around the house. No more wasting time on the computer, that kind of stuff. I'm back.

Lawrence, thank you for your kind support. I hope to complete the planking without further ado and try my hand at rigging and adding some accouterments to the basics included in this kit. I haven't rigged a ship since high school, back in the late Renaissance. (Around the Beatles invading the USA). :rolleyes:

Ken

Guest Tim I.

Canute,

I am not sure how I missed this log of yours. I enjoyed catching up on it, and am pulling up a seat for the rest of your build. Great start so far!

- Tim