Amerigo Vespucci by Dimitris71 - Mantua - 1:100 scale

Nice beauty and perfection perfectly aligned wow she is a beauty

Georgeous Dimitris! Such nice work.

Cheers, Ian

What can I say which hasn't been said before?

Great job!

Greg

Many thanks for the kind comments mates.. Much appreciated!! :D

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Dimitris your ship is spectacular. It's hard to believe the hull is made of wood. It's smooth as glass. WOW!

Greg

Hello Greg, welcome aboard, I'm always glad to have new crew on my build log. Thank you for the nice comments and also for your likes. :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Many thanks for all the likes  and visits shipmates!! :)

The work on the masts still continues...

Regards

Dimitris

post-12902-0-68032300-1447972180_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-55960600-1447972182_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-69849100-1447972183.jpg

What is that dimitris Is it a radar ? Looks good but looks like a modern addition to an old girl

My thoughts exactly!

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

What is that dimitris Is it a radar ? Looks good but looks like a modern addition to an old girl

My thoughts exactly!

Radar it is, with a lot of protection.

Not seen that before,'protection that is'.

Lovely work so far Dimitris ship mate.

Frank.  :piratebo5:

Hello Jeff-Greg-Frank, thank you for your time to comment and for kind words. :)  Yes it is a radar, and as Jeff and Greg said, looks like a modern addition to this old girl!! :)I had in mind to try to reconstruct the ship as they really are today and add as much detail as I can, because at this scale , the kit does not have many of them.

Regards

Dimitris

post-12902-0-43495600-1448013104_thumb.jpg

G'day dimitris

That's a great idea. Make this model your own creation!

As said before, keep up the great work

havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Hi Dimitris,

Lovely work on the masts and fast work as well!  I'd still be doing the bowsprit!

How are you prep'ing and painting the wood and metal to get such a nice finish?

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Dimitris,

Lovely work on the masts and fast work as well!  I'd still be doing the bowsprit!

How are you prep'ing and painting the wood and metal to get such a nice finish?

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hello Nigel, thank you for the nice words !! :) :)

Regarding the preparation of the wood for the masts. First of all i tapered the masts with a black & decker drill. Then i primed them with a Vallejo primer, a little sanding with a 500 sandpaper grid and finally i painted them with an airbrush. For the metal i used the same method except sanding ...First primed them with the same primer and finally painted them carefully with a small brush..I hope you'll find this info helpful..

Feel free to ask anything you might need.

All the best

Dimitris

Hello shipmates, I found a mistake by accident in the plans of Amerigo . The kit specs reports the height of the vessel should be 540mm. So i measured the height from the keel to the highest mast and fix the mast according to the plans..On the plans shows the 3 masts in 1:1 scale and also have the numbers of it's length. If i measured the plans on the sheet ,i found them different with the numbers... what a brain puzzle :angry: :angry: So a friend of mine found the specs of the real ship which i am posting. In the book of Chapman: Great Sailing ships, in page 178 reports that the main mast is 46 meters above the deck.. I suppose that in 1/100 scale is 46 cm... On my plans this is 40 cm ... 6 cm difference is too much... Something is going wrong looking at the ship and the masts....So The main mast is 54 meters from sea level (waterline i think, not mention in the plans, also neither the plans or the numbers are correct to the specs of the real ship)...Here are some specs..

From a technical and structural point of view, the Vespucci is a three-decks sail tall ship with a diesel-electric propulsion system and exhibits, from bow to stern, three masts (the foremast- the main mast- the mizzen mast); the tallest is 54 meters high (about 177 ft), equipped with yards and square sails, plus the bowsprit which functions as a fourth mast, for a total sail surface (24 sails) of proximally 2.600 square meters. The ship is 101 meters (331 ft) long (overall).
Technical features/measures:
DISPLACEMENT 4000 TONS
OVERALL LENGH 101 MT (331 ft)
OVERALL LENGH (WITHOUT BOWSPRIT) 82 MT (269 ft)
BEAM 16 MT (52,4ft)
OVERALL BEAM 28 MT (92 ft)
MAXIMUM DRAUGHT 7,50 MT (24,6 ft)
SAIL SQUARE 2.400 M2
FORE MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 50 MT (164 ft)
MAIN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 54 MT (177 ft)
MIZZEN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 43 MT (141 ft)

So i have to find a way to fix the masts in appropriate length... and since i glued all the structures on them, not glued on the ship....I think that i have to make an extension with strong bind to fix them.... Any ideas or help are welcome... Thanks in advance...

Kind regards

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

The idea to extend the masts, is to make a strong bind with epoxy glue and a strip of metal around the masts...I think that will work...I spoke with some other modellers on a Greek site and found that the masts of their ships (Amerigo Vespucci) had the same issues.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

post-12902-0-24944700-1448056086_thumb.jpg

I agree with J, I think once the rigging is applied, there will be too much stress on the pieced together mast. Wouldn't it be ashame to get that far along only to have to redo the mast and most of the rigging. If it were me, I would opt to bite the bullet now, it will amount to a lot less work than if left. 

Hello Jeff and mtdoramike, thank you for your comments!! I agree with both of you but i have one problem. The lower section is glued on the wooden ring with the middle section. Is there any product that can loose the pva glue from the ring? If there is so ... That will make me very happy!!!

:D :D

Regards

Dimitris

So i made an effort to do what Jeff and mtdoramike suggest. I am pleased to announce that the surgery was very successful  without damaging a thing!! :D  :D  It was much easier than i thought . The only think kept me from forcing the masts a little bit harder on my earlier effort, is the fear to break the middle and the upper rings... Now I will replace only the 3 lower sections of the masts and they will be as new!!! Thank you guys!! :) 

Cheers

Dimitris

post-12902-0-38100700-1448062183_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-11907200-1448062186_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-03824700-1448062189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dimitris71

Dimitris, I wish I had known that was your issue, because that is an easy fix. I have cut off the mast below and above the mast rings or mast heads and have drilled them out before, which works or at the very worst effort, I would break them off and replace with some that I fashioned out of wood. There is always another way to skin that cat. I'm glad to see it's working out for you and you have been doing some exceptionally fine work. GREAT JOB!

mike

G'day Dimitris.

Don't like to "put the spanner in the works" as the saying goes in Australia. But what is the correct height of the top mask? Does the 60mm or so has to spread over all the 3 sections of the mask. I had the same problem when I was working out the heights of each section on my Endeavour?

I eventually blew up the drawings on AOTS The Endeavour to get what I wanted. Maybe you can get a profile photo AV and do the same.

Just an idea! Hope that you don't mind me putting my 2 cents in.

Havagooday mate

Greg

G'day Dimitris.

Don't like to "put the spanner in the works" as the saying goes in Australia. But what is the correct height of the top mask? Does the 60mm or so has to spread over all the 3 sections of the mask. I had the same problem when I was working out the heights of each section on my Endeavour?

I eventually blew up the drawings on AOTS The Endeavour to get what I wanted. Maybe you can get a profile photo AV and do the same.

Just an idea! Hope that you don't mind me putting my 2 cents in.

Havagooday mate

Greg

Hello mate,the correct heights of the masts are the following: FORE MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 50 MT (164 ft), MAIN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 54 MT (177 ft),MIZZEN MAST HEIGHT ON SEA LEVEL 43 MT (141 ft), the problem that i had, was measuring the heights from the keel and not from the waterline... So in 1/100 scale these numbers are Fore mast 50 cm, main mast 54 cm and mizzen mast 43cm. On the other sections of the masts the height is as it should be. I hope it answers your question .. :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris71

Hello to all, on my previous post i wrote that i have found a mistake about the masts plans.. Actually i found out last night that  it was my mistake and not mantua's .. Let's be honest , my brain stops from time to time :D :D  I think the fellow modellers on the Greek site made the same mistake...

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Welcome glad it worked out

Thank you Jeff!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Dimitris, I wish I had known that was your issue, because that is an easy fix. I have cut off the mast below and above the mast rings or mast heads and have drilled them out before, which works or at the very worst effort, I would break them off and replace with some that I fashioned out of wood. There is always another way to skin that cat. I'm glad to see it's working out for you and you have been doing some exceptionally fine work. GREAT JOB!

mike

Mike thank you for your help and also for your tips. :)  I am lacking  experience in such kind of problems !! :D

Cheers

Dimitris

G'day Dimitris.

I understand now what you were talking about. I also have a brain freeze and I think that I've proven it to on numerous occasions

Hello shipmates, I don't want to make you bored regarding the masts (this is the last post about the difficulty to say if this was my mistake or the plans)? So I will post a photo to show you how i read the plans for the masts. Like Greg said ... Brain Freeze.... :) :) Some fellow modellers on Greece , had the same issues , that the masts against the ship looks small.

Kind regards

Dimitris

post-12902-0-05476000-1448145450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dimitris71

Hi Dimitris

As I was reading along to catch up with previous posts, I was thinking 'what a good recovery with the masts' only to find that you'd made the miscalculation. No stress! We all have those brain farts from time to time! After all, where would life be without a brain fart or two???

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Hello shipmates, many thanks for your encouragement words and also for the likes... :)  Much appreciated!! :)

The work on Amerigo's masts continues .. I decide to rebuild the masts in appropriate length.. So Patrick if you read this.. the hull's length without the bowsprit is 81,7 cm ,with the bowsprit 99,7.  I missed 1,3 cm from the real ship and 0.3cm from the kit .. lol  (kit specs reports, length 100 cm)  .Sorry for my measurement the other day but i was in a hurry... the real ship is 101 meters with the bowsprit. So it was a little odd the tallest mast (by the manual of the kit ) be 540mm from the keel, since the real ship had 54 meters from the waterline. So i rebuild the mast with the 540mm(538,7 mm to be accurate) from the waterline and from the keel about 61 cm. (real ship 62 meters). Here are some photos... Sorry for the poor quality!!

At least this time seems to my eyes more in scale.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

post-12902-0-43599000-1448407786_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-54867500-1448407788_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-34831100-1448407790_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-62874600-1448407793_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-53653600-1448407796_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-13478900-1448407799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dimitris71