USS Constitution by tdmongillo - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:96

From what I understand the USS Constitution is the most difficult model BlueJacket has to offer. As a novice model ship builder it appears that I am in for a real challenge! This model was given to me as a gift from my father when I was 11 or 12. I think he was tired of hearing that plastic model airplanes weren't difficult enough and wanted to give me a real challenge. He succeeded. I remember opening the manual and thinking, "Where's step one?"  I didn't get very far on the model as it was lost in storage after a move. I have always longed to continue working on my Connie. Over 15 years have passed and now the kit is back in my possession! Your help, advice, and patience through this forum would be greatly appreciated as I undertake this challenge.

Best,

Anthony Mongillo, A novice.

Anthony Mongillo

Current build: USS Constitution- 1:96 Blue Jacket Shipcrafters

Bring it on, Anthony !!

I've only recently started building the Connie, as well. And MSW has proven to be a font of helpful information.

Put up some photos and watch the help roll in .....

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Anthony -

Good to see a log open up on the Bluejacket Connie... I've been utilizing some of the Bluejacket kit components for my plastic Revell Constitution in the same scale.

I will be watching with great interest!

I'm building the Model Shipways version of the Constitution. I'm curious to see the differences so I will be watching your build.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I've been looking forward to posting photos, but now that I look at them I am quite embarrassed. 90% of what you see was completed when I was in middle school. My time is now being spent trying to fix many issues: re-positioning the center and water lines, re-positioning the gundeck and spardeck ports, re-planking the hull where ports were re-positioned, thinning the bulwarks, leveling the gundeck floor, etc. The work is tedious and I feel like every two steps forward I take another step back. 

post-1888-0-36753500-1362323503.jpg

post-1888-0-94985900-1362323637.jpg

post-1888-0-15049400-1362323728.jpg

post-1888-0-00911200-1362323841.jpg

post-1888-0-14829900-1362323926.jpg

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

Anthony, I'm looking forward to following your build log on here. I will be building the Connie as well soon, but it will be the Model Shipways kit. Regardless of what you think about your model and pictures, it's probably not as bad as you think. All of us on here are way more critical of our own work than others. It's just a result of sitting with something for so much time and knowing of your mistakes whereas the casual observer can only look on from a distance. There are many things about my current ship I would change if only I could find the keys to my Delorian time machine, but I have only gotten encouragement from the other members on the forum. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Finished re-planking around re-positioned gun/spar deck ports. I didn't like the patchwork look. Problem is I don't know what to do next. I'd like to place birth deck ports, hawse pipes, and get the galleys and transom set, but I'm wondering when I should apply the black paint.

Compare this to the first photo I posted. Notice less plank patchwork around the port side gun deck window in the new photo. Also, reworked the wood around the keel.

post-1888-0-30479400-1364512403_thumb.jpg

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

I did a trial fit of the cast britannia quarter galleries and brass transom. Houston, we have a problem. I've heard that every kit has its problems, but this is pretty egregious. The parts look good in 2D, but when you turn it to the side there are gaping spaces. The lower corners of the transom also hang out in the breeze. I think I need to lop off the machined galleries already on the hull AND abandon the britannia parts. Please, advice and comments welcome!

post-1888-0-83040800-1364590327_thumb.jpg

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

Anthony, it wouldn't be a bad idea to build the quarter galleries from scratch to the specs of the transom/stern area. The other obvious way, course, would be to abandon the transom piece and build this from scratch to the quarter galleries. Either way, you are going to have some detail to replicate. The detail on that brass piece is just cleaner and more precise. My two cents...

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I agree Anthony. You are working with a very old kit and I was surprised to read that you had the gallery as a casting. That part is not easy to make, it is a challenge in itself, but certainly is worth doing it right from scratch.

The shape of the hull looks very good. You did right as a kid!!! Your father did give you a good challenge and I hope you will live up to it. Keep up the good work.

Are your plans in pretty good shape: detailed enough??? If not you might check here for more information and you can probably buy more recent plans if you want to. I am also doing the Conny. See below.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

One part confuses me, though. The gun deck and the upper deck are on the same level on your built. Have another look and think about adding another level on top of what you have. Those gun ports are all below the top deck and the hatches are above that. That should not be a hard thing to fix, but it does take more time.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks for the comments. I have yet to install the spar deck. I need to complete the gun deck first. I don't want to start detailing the gun deck until I get the outside shape right--and this includes the transom and galleries. Also, I think I'd like to paint the outside black prior to detailing the gun deck. 

No, my kit's instructions are not detailed enough to make galleries from scratch. All that are included in the plans of the galleries is the little photo that I uploaded in my last photo post--and those plans are inaccurate. I don't want to purchase an entire set of new plans. Maybe I could contact BlueJacket. Any other ideas?

Anthony Mongillo

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestions! After lopping off the machine carved wooden galleries so that I could better try on the metal transom and galleries supplied in the kit I've decided to keep those parts--with the exception of the window frames (the window frames are too squatty). With a bit of research I found a great article from the US Navy called, "USS Constitution Stern & Quarter Gallery Decorations." In the article is a great side elevation of the galleries. I used Paint and re-sized the diagram to scale, printed it out, and used it as a template. Turns out, the transom just needed to be moved aft about 1/8 inch, and voila! Problem solved. (Hopefully this doesn't ruin future construction.) I'm going to fabricate my own window frames for the galleries to be taller and accurate to the diagram the US Navy supplied. Here's the progress so far...

Carved galleries removed

post-1888-0-21826500-1366507173_thumb.jpg

Try-on of supplied parts show that the gallery extends into the gun port

post-1888-0-63750900-1366507185_thumb.jpg

Addition of 1/8 inch using transom template

post-1888-0-19678200-1366507211_thumb.jpg    

Using scaled diagram from US Navy document as template

post-1888-0-38593100-1366507225_thumb.jpg

Fabrication of galleries

post-1888-0-79044000-1366507235_thumb.jpg     

post-1888-0-99589300-1366507242_thumb.jpg

With supplied parts

post-1888-0-49251700-1366507269_thumb.jpg  

post-1888-0-04676400-1366507276_thumb.jpg

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

Hi Anthony,

Just discovered your build. I will follow very closely. I have the kit and hope to build her one day. Where did you find and how can I get a copy of that article on the quarter galleries? I know I will need it when I work on my Connie.

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort:

He linked to that article in his last post. It appears very well researched.

Russ

Thanks Russ.

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Whew! Made some major progress. I really wouldn't recommend fabricating the galleries like this--there has to be an easier way. Nevertheless, it's mostly done. Now I will just need to create window frames for the galleries, paint the details, and glue them on. The window frames will be very difficult to make by hand. We'll see how it goes.

Outlining framework for each of the metal pieces to be used in the galleries

post-1888-0-40283100-1367100472_thumb.jpg

With lower stern windows prior to planking.

post-1888-0-61783400-1367100555_thumb.jpg

Try-on of metal pieces

post-1888-0-00744600-1367100617_thumb.jpg

Metal pieces, framework, and stern planking

post-1888-0-81761400-1367100655_thumb.jpg

Edited by tdmongillo

Anthony Mongillo

• 1 year later...

Same here.

Mort

• 2 months later...

I am currently building the Bluejacket Constitution. I am taking pictures as I progress and will post them when I have made some significant progress. Right now I find the instructions confusing and lacking. I have constructed several Bluejacket models and this one is the only one I have found the instructions so confusing. I think for me it is a lack of knowledge on my part.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the interest in my build. I'm sorry to report that I have been unable to spend any time on this kit since my last post. I'm specializing in orthodontics and it has been a very busy program. I graduate in December, though, and hope to continue once again after the new year. Until then I need to spend my time on a thesis and find a job. 

Anthony Mongillo

I'm sure your Connie and MSW will still be here when you are ready.

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy