tool sharpening

I tried sharpening some hobby knife blades using a stone provided in the hobby knife kit. I was NOT happy with the results.

Turns out, I had purchased a Work Sharp sharpening tool based on a recommendation from someone who had done product testing on it. Thus far, I've only sharpened kitchen knifes, pocket knives, and scissors and have been very happy with the results. I thought the old lady was going to kill me when I started pulling butter knives out of the drawer (just kidding). Anyway, if you run a pocket knife through the 220 grit belt 3-4 times and then through the 6000 grit belt 3-4 times, you can shave with it.

Next, I'll be trying the Work Sharp out on my hobby knives and will report the results.

BTW, they have two versions of the Work Sharp. One is about $70, the other is about $130. Don't waste your money on the $130 model. BTW, order bunches of extra belts off eBay if you buy one.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

It seems many individual have their own sharpening system.  There are many ways to skin a cat.  So when someone forgets the basics thy will b in trouble.  I follow the basics.  Back in Chgo I have several oils stones.most of them arkansas stones.  No ceramics. When I made my move I put what little I could use in a pouch and left.  As a result I have a diamond bench stone 2 arkansas stones one f them coarse and fine and a extra fine stone.  I was happy I threw in the leather strop and compound as well  That is what I used on my scalpel blades when they started to dull out on me.  Since I only had a limited number I had to take care of them.  The hospital was not going to provide me anything sharp.and I had to be persuasive to keep them.  With all the stones etc, I could sharpen my tools but it took time.  I am still looking at Japanese Water Stones but when I check out the selling price on an average I have to say ouch.  So I will probably windup using the scary sharp method again.  I wonder if those honing guides will work on sandpaper.

David B

...  I am still looking at Japanese Water Stones but when I check out the selling price on an average I have to say ouch.  So I will probably windup using the scary sharp method again.  I wonder if those honing guides will work on sandpaper.

Of course they do, why wouldn't they?

But there's a catch with the sandpaper method: it is only cheaper if you don't sharpen a lot. Keeping all my plane blades, chisels, gouges and carving knives sharp by using the sandpaper method (aka "scary sharp system") I would spend each year as much for sandpaper as two nice Japanese waterstones cost! Halfways and/or unevenly worn sandpaper does a poor job on sharpening. For "only" sharpening very small blades, and not sharpening many blades several times a week the sandpaper method may be a good option though.

- Markus

dgbot,

Check out the Norton water stones. They are very good quality and not as expensive as the Japanese ones. They make them in combination stones also. Just remember to flatten them often (like every use) as water stones are soft (hence why they cut so fast). You can use your sandpaper and glass/stone base for that.

Dave

I have always been a fan of diamond bench stones.  To me they offer quick stock removal.  The problem is trying to get a coarse medium and fine for personal use.  I found a set on Ebay for to me is a decent price so I took it.  I also picekd up a veritas honing guide for a decent price as well. As a result I will not be spending most of my time sharpening and honing.

David B 

For anyone interested, I just received a circular from Rockler that shows diamond stones, coarse and fine, on sale for $30 U.S. each.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren