HMS Pegasus by herbgold - Victory Models - Scale 1:64

I'm sorry, Mike, but you said (a little above, on 26 July):

Just make sure that you lay your planks naturally against the hull, and don't try to bend them laterally against their width.

and that's exactly what I've been trying to do!

Current build: HMS Pegasus

Previous build: HM Brig Supply

Mike is right in what he has mentioned to you, if tapering the plank does not close the gap leave the tapered plank lie naturally and use a stealer to fill the remaining space. It is all still going to work, not to worry there, we are not criticising only trying to help. Please do not take anything the wrong way 

That's ok Buddy, two hours in dentist chair would have me going straight to liquor cabinet :P

No worries.  There is such a thing called a "plank nipper" or the like that makes narrow cut into the underside of the plank to help with bends.  Similar principle to what you are doing, but no chunks are taken out.  

Don is right on the use of tapering and stealers to plank.  Use the first planking as a practice run for the second planking.  In some respects, the second planking is easier in that you have a solid foundation to plank on - for example, you don't need to pin the planks to the bulkheads, but use pins, etc. anywhere along the planking line (just don't put the pins in the plank itself!).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good.  Just sand down the high spots, and layer on the filler in the low spots, and you'll have a solid foundation for the second planking. 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I've pinned a temporary batten to guide the top of the wale. Like others, I was a bit puzzled by how the wale should curve at the bow and stern, and I've just let the batten relax in what seems like a natural curve fore and aft.

On another topic, this thing (I find it hard to describe it as anything else) has just moored next to HMS Belfast here on London River. Cheek!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/06/russian-billionaires-superyacht-makes-waves-in-london

From the TFFM series, the wale sorta flattens out at the stem and doesn't continue the upward sweep.  On my Pegasus, I found that this naturally happened given the curves at the stem so I didn't need any special bending or shaping.  If I remember correctly, this started happening halfway between the first gunport and the stem.  It's very slight though.

Here is why my log starts with the wale in case you're interested:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7267-hms-pegasus-by-landlubber-mike-amativictory-models-scale-164/?p=329358

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

You sorta have to guess a bit where the wales end up at the stem - look at the head-on picture in the plans which might help.

Using the temporary batten to mark the run of the wales works nicely.  I wouldn't use it as a template to run the actual planking against.  It didn't really work out all that well for me.  Instead, I would think about running tape, etc., then marking the line of the wale.

One thing I did was rather than do the full second planking and add a 1mm strip for the wale was to use a 2mm strip for the wale directly on top of the first planking.  It made for a cleaner look I think rather than seeing partial planks above and below it.  If you don't have 2mm strips, you could always laminate two 1mm strips together.  

Mike

Thanks, SpyGlass. I measured down from the very top of the gunport strip to the bottom of my temporary batten, and get 29mm, which I think equates pretty closely to your 23.35mm measured from your extrapolated line.

post-6844-0-57544400-1473322314.jpg

Edited by herbgold

Just to add one more voice to this already insightful discussion, I'll reiterate that you can make precise measurements, but then as you eyeball the wales, you might just find that they sweep up too much.  That seems to be the tendency, and it's also why LL Mike's idea of using tape instead of a batten works well, since tape is easier to adjust.  In the end, I think everyone's wales ends up in a slightly different alignment.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 1 month later...

Just to say that I haven't given up in spite of my long absence from these hallowed pages... I started two new history courses and my time has been taken with reading and attending lectures.

I'll be back - probably not before next March!

Edited by herbgold