Bluenose by LMDAVE - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64

PIcking up where I left off. Below is Album 1 & 2 of the build started on 12/1/11, scroll from the bottom up for order. If you have any questions about a particular step, please ask.

Album 1

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23966878

Album 2

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24176793

I'll be continuing a normal build log from this point.

Thanks

Dave

P.S. Sorry I didn't follow the new title rules, should have read, can't edit.

Edited by LMDAVE

The four corners of the foresail are now latched in place. Now need to move forward with lacing the mast hoops on. (A tedious step)

405681085.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting links to the photos of your build. I had been following it and looking to it as a reference as I work on my Bluenose. Keep up the great work!

Jim

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Thanks Jim, hope it can be useful.

Hi Bob, wow, I was wondering about your progress since the crash here. Hopefully you can find some of your epic build log, yours and ThorBob's were a good reference to me. I found a portion of Thor's in google cache.

About my sails, on the main sail I manage to push a small brass rod into the hems on 3 of the 4 sides, but for the foresail, I only did it on the side adjacent to the mast....I didn't really feel like it needed it for the shape since there will be hoops 3 of the 4 sides pulling them into shape.

For the mast hoops, I basically used tan thread and a needle and just a basic circle through the cloth hem and through the mast hoop and tie a knot. Put a small dab of CA glue on the knot with a toothpick then trim the excess.If the sails of this model were actually going to be under some stress then I can see having the boltrope. I just finished the mast hoops for the foresail, but don't have a picture yet. However, this one on the main sail shows it good.

404796889.jpg

Finished up the majority of the rigging on the foremast, which includes the throat halliard, and gaff, and boom rigging. Still need to make some rope a few rope coils, and yeah got cute in one pic with the figure finishing up the gaff rigging....that won't stay of course.

405735349.jpg

405735350.jpg

405735351.jpg

405735352.jpg

Thanks Bob. Haha, yeah, that's exactly what he's doing. I found those little HO scale figures at the hobby shop, so I throw them in for picture scale every now and then. Even though HO is 1/80 scale, it's close enough.

Hi there Dave, glad you found your way back :)

Looks like you will be finished in time for the sailing season ;)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks guys. Moving on to the bow of the ship, I decided to give the port side anchor some attention now.

This is where some confusion is setting in. I'm suppose to have a cast metal cathead for holding the anchor. But can't seem to find it in metal supplied pieces....or did I? Two piece that I thought were the bilge pump handles are included that I am not using. But look what I have here:

405761693.jpg

This piece, although looks much smaller than the detail, is 1/32" D (Diameter) at the post like the detail says. So, if this is me making a cathead out of a bilge pump handle, then so be it, this is it in position:

405761692.jpg

Bob if you have the true cathead piece in your kit I'd like to see a picture of it.

Oh, and this was the anchor chain I bought before I blackened it.

405761691.jpg

Dave - I think you found it.  When I get near the kit again - probably Monday - I'll take a look to verify.  There is definitely no bilge pump handle.  I haven't done anything with the cat yet, but I was thinking I'd probably wind up scratching it.  That chain link size looks pretty good to me... maybe a touch on the large size but pretty close.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Also if you look in the pic, the wood stock for the anchor just seems way too long, but it matches the detail, the anchor is the same size as the detail. I can't find one good picture of Bluenose 1 anchor on the Nova Scotia site either for a reference. I think I'm going to shorten the wood stock up.

Dave,

I'm now just catching up with your Bluenose build (again, post MSW 2.0).  She looks great.  Looking at that casting - it looks like the right shape for an iron cathead.  Is the flared end open?  (so as to receive a rope line or chain through it?)  

On the anchor stock looks about right for a large Banks anchor.  Those were much, much longer stocks than the harbor stocks (of iron).

Very nice work!

Cheers,

Elia 

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Thanks Elia. I'll leave the wood stock as is. Would love to see a picture of one with the rope seizing...mainly for coloring.

This is how I have it now. Natural wood stock, with a tarry grime wash over it, and the rope seizing. Not sure how to best present the anchor, if the 1st picture is how it is stowed.

405771732.jpg

405771733.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Dave - We missed you at yesterday's meeting. I would suggest you hold off on these Catheads. I installed mine way to early. They are made of such soft metal they keep bending etc. I had to replace them twice. Might be better to leave them until later.

PS if you haven't noticed Jim says our Rope Walk has been shipped you might want to make your shrouds this way. See you at the next meeting.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Floyd, but I think you have me mixed up with the other Dave again. :) However, would like to hear tips on the shrouds as that is a step I'm looking forward to.

Grr, too many daves working on Bluenoses. or am I jsut getting old? Unfortnately you are too far away to come use our new rope walk to make the rope for your shrouds. But I tell you what - I am dying to make some rope with the rope walk. I will look up the diameter you need and give it a go. If you trust me I will ship you the results.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I appreciate the offer Floyd, but that is one step I was looking forward to doing. For some reason before I got into ship building I was always impressed with shrouds and deadeye rigging, that may be what got me into it...just never tried it yet since this is my first build.

Do you hve a ropewalk? how are you going to make your shrouds?

I'm a little confused. Isn't a rope walk just for making your own diameter rope/thread?

The recommended 0.018" thread for the shrouds is already included with the kit, this is a sample of one I was putting together.

405782562.jpg

This depends on how much of a purist you are. Or do you just like making rope. You are correct the kit does include thread for your rigging. But the kit only includes 3 diameters of line, and it doesn't look like real rope. Also the color is not accurate. On my Bluenose I used the line provided and I added some very fine black thread I bought at a sewing store. I used the thread for siezing. The whole idea of a rope walk is that you can make scale rope that looks like rope. In the case of the Bluenose I think this is especially true of the anchor line.

my club's new ropewalk should be here today. I am going to be having fun after work trying my hand at making rope. So we will see how it turns out.

Hi Dave -  I do have something that resembles a cathead in my bag - along with a couple of anchors, navigation lights, and what I think are a couple of bitts.  At least it has the correct angle bent into it.

post-547-0-42305800-1361802714_thumb.jpg

About the size compared to the plan detail - most of the plan details are drawn 2x normal size so the actual piece should be smaller than the detail.  In any case, I'd say you found the cathead - or at least one of them :)

Bob

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Floyd, yeah, I do want the rope to look as real as possible. I did replace the nylon tan thread in the kit with cotton so far. The shiny nylon just couldn't pass for real rope to me, especially how stiff they were with making the rope coils, but I'm happy with the cotton thread. The black however, so far, appears to be acceptable to me. When I made the upper ratlines per the specified rope diameters, I'm not thrilled about the results, they are kind of skinny to me, but probably represent the right scale to the overall ship. But, like I said, with the lower ratlines, so far I'm happy with the first shroud. But, I do agree that there is something rewarding about making your own diameter rope with the preferred material. Are you redoing the ratlines on your Bluenose?

Bob, so it appears that is the right piece, my catheads were straight, that is why I mistaken them for pump handles. I know some details are 2x, but when I laid the cast anchor on the detail, it was 1:1.

Dave - There is one cardinal rule I have learned about this hobby. That is Never Ever go back and redo once you have finished a model. If you do you will be in Model Fix Hell. There is always something that could have been done better of differently based on new information or experience. If I were to open up the display case for my Bluenose and try to apply some of the things I have learned from this forum. The horror of it would have me running away.

I am sure you know we are our own worst critics. It really takes the encouragement we receive from this wonderful group to keep going forward at times. Before I was part of a club and found this forum I had 3 different models that reached various states of completion before they met with a Viking burial.

So my friend, I will never revisit my Bluenose. She currently stands in the entry to our home and impresses many who do not have quite as critical an eye as I do. That is good enough.

Besides the Admiral wants to see more completions and she thinks those shiny copper bottoms would look good in our front room. So a building we will go!

Dave,

There were no bilge handles in the kit that I could find nor were they on the list.  The cathead in the kit are really hokey.  They are so fragile that they look like they woukld break if you touched them. You might try scratching them if you're good with soldering.  I'm thinking I'll try to make the hokey britannia parts work or just leave them off.

I swear I don't have A.D.D., but I went from the sails, to one anchor, to now deadeye/shrouds. I should be moving on with the forward boom and sail, but it's nice to change things up. Since we were talking about the shrouds yesterday and I had a partial one made. I completed the other end and laced it to the dead eye.

WARNING: If you use the correct size thread in the pre-drilled holes, the holes aren't big enough. In the laser cut pear-shaped dead eyes, if you attempt to drill through them they break because they are so brittle. So, soak them in water before drilling is what I recommend.

Anyway, Here's a shot of them laced up. Should I paint the seizings black, or leave them tan?

405789363.jpg

405789364.jpg

Dave - thanks for the tip on drilling the deadeyes.  I think you should do the same thing with the seizings that you do with the lanyards.  If you leave the lanyards natural, leave the seizing natural too.

I have to laugh about your ADD comment.  I am getting to the point in my log recreation where I either have to follow the order I did things in, or put the rest of the steps in some sort of logical order.  We do tend to get all over the place from time to time :D

Bob

Dave - Looks good. I agree with Bob on the color of the siezings. what jig did you use to keep the deadeyes lined up?