US Brig Syren by kscadman - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - first wooden ship build

Hello all,slowly but surely progress is being made and I've completed chapter 14. I'm looking forward to starting the longboat then on to the masting and rigging. The timberheads were pretty straight forward and I didn't have any troubles with those. Same with the hammock cranes. But as I was measuring out the distances for the aft hammock cranes I realized that I installed my davits too far aft. I installed the notch in the davits on the aft side of the cap rail instead of the fore side. OOPS!

The hammock netting was a little tricky. Cutting and placing went fine as well as the knot tying. But I ended up buying a pair of shear style scissors to trim the netting. I've been thinking about adding folded hammocks and I've been doing some research about them on MSW, online and with my limited amount of books and I can find how their rigged, materials used even how they are folded for storage but I have yet to find out what dimensions a typical hammock is.

Then I went back thru the chapters and completed the steps I missed. I added the ships bell, lanyards to the bridle and stern gun ports. Now all that's left is the bumpkins (which I'll install when I start the bowsprit) and the quarter galleries.

Attached are some pictures 

post-629-0-19649100-1404662677_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-58821400-1404662684_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-91929200-1404662694_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-83355800-1404662704_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-52061400-1404662713_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-55274300-1404662848_thumb.jpg

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

More pics showing the lanyards and the progress made on the quarter galleries. The sections of the galleries are dry fitted until I finish the bottom section.

post-629-0-22649000-1404663468_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-08197600-1404663505_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-68825200-1404663557_thumb.jpg

She's right up there to your usual standard (terrific!).  Good idea leaving off those bumpkins for now. 

Have fun with the ship's boat.  It's a cool project in and of itself.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie and Thomas, many thanks for your compliments and to all that hit the like button. 

Thomas, yes it is amazing how the details add up.

For grins and giggles, actually curiosity I thought about adding the capstan bars. From what I've been able to find out the length for a ship with 16 to 18 guns should be 9'-0". But the maximum length I can have is 7'0" or it would interfere with the pump. As shown in the pics. Would this be correct?

Also I found out that a standard hammock size was 3'-9 1/2" x 6'-0". I may try my hand at filling some of my hammock cranes. I've seen others do this and like the the overall look. Just need to find out how to fold them properly. My first attempt didn't turn out too well.

Richard 

post-629-0-65561700-1404859100_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-42777100-1404859108_thumb.jpg

I haven't checked any references Richard but the just 'look' a little too long.  I realize the belfry is only lashed to the deck and can be quickly removed but it looks right now that crew would be jumping over the gun carraiges to turn the capstan.  Again, just my 2 cents.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, I agree, they look entirely too long even at 7'-0". I found the information in a book called 

Seamanship: Comp. from Various Authorities for the U.S. Naval Academy 1863

By Stephen Bleecker Luce Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cjJFAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=capstan+bar+length&source=bl&ots=PXdSXdj0O-&sig=9FO24iVwm1ahEBlTMGM6Raqzm6E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=U7C5U9vtFIKUqAaUwIK4DA&ved=0CE8Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=capstan%20bar%20length&f=false

Richard - Right now I can't find it. but there is quite a discussion on the subject of rolling and tying the hammock. Lots of good info. All I can tell you for now is that it was tied with a marlinspike hitch. This consisted of 7 loops around the roll from one continuous length of rope. I have some pictures I will try to post for you. (as soon as I find them)

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

The reference certainly sounds authentic.  Still..........

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Floyd, thank you, I'll look forward to those pics. Most of what I've been finding says they were tied with 6 loops (I'll have to look up a marlinspike hitch).

Augie, I agree with you on the (still...) 

I did come across a PDF that's called "Berth-Deck-Area-Activity" from the USS Constitution Museum, at least that's whats written in the footer. I tried to download it but the file is too large. Its from a website called asailorslifeforme.org.

An interesting site.....thanks.  Now, what are your plans on the capstan bars......have you gotten any other input?

There is a modern day photo of 'crew' manning the capstan bars on HMS Rose on this link:

http://www.tallshiprose.org/info/tour/quicktour/capstan.html

She's a 20 gunner

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I think for now I'll leave them dry fitted until I receive more input. I may be traveling down a dead end, If I keep them installed then I'll need to find a reason for it and model that scenario.

Thanks for the link to the HMS Rose, it looks like the capstan bars in the picture are roughly 6' so I could shorten mine by a foot. That way nobody will be tripping over a carronade.

Richard

Shortening by a foot was my exact thought.  Was hoping you'd reach that same conclusion yourself.  Someone else will chime in, I'm sure.

Decisions, decisions  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sometimes I'm a little slow, but I have time, hopefully I'll get more information. I think for now I'll work on my longboat while making rolled hammocks. From what I remember from your log there's lots of sanding involved with the longboat.

Richard

Yes, getting her thinned on the inside took some time.  But you can handle it.  As always, patience!

I was looking at mine today and thought how nice she'd look with capstan bars.  Maybe next year if I open the case and (finally) add the nameplate.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie - I noticed in another build log where the builder made a pair of calipers to judge thickness so I think I'll make a pair myself. I'm also working on making a set of pump handles to go with my capstan bars.

Would you be able to get around the rigging to install capstan bars?

Bindy - thank you and yes it is my first one. Its been a little over 2 years and I'm still surprising myself. When I get stuck or unsure about a step I dig into the build logs and the books I'm starting to accumulate which really helps. The best advice I've received is to read thru the entire build and understand how a previous step will effect a later step and never be afraid to ask questions.

Richard

I believe so.  Went through enough gyrations getting some of the final rigging lines in.  You have much to look forward to!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ok, 2nd attempts seem to work better. I shortened the capstan bars by a foot, now they're 6'-0" and with the new info I made another hammock and dry fitted it into the hammock cranes.

Then I added the pump handles, I like the outcome but I think I may need to shorten them just a little.

Richard

post-629-0-83319900-1405264098_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-63441000-1405264105_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-67589300-1405264112_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-46906500-1405264122_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-11679800-1405264130_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-18618700-1405264138_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-42669200-1405264146_thumb.jpg

Amazing effort if this is your first wooden ship! I have made quite a few and my models don't turn out as nice as yours!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Looking terrific.  Where do I send the order for hammocks ???

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I like you hammocks. can I see a picture of the other side where the loops are tied together. they look very much like mine. Although mine were easier since they were a different scale. What did you do to the edges of the cloth to keep it from fraying?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thank you all for your comments and likes!!

Keith - yes this really is my first wooden ship. I'm going on 2 years 4months on this build and I think I've spent more time pouring thru books and build logs than I have actual work on her.

Augie - I'll let you know where to place that order as soon as I finish another 119 of them. I'm not sure how many officers had their own berths so I'm going with 1 hammock per total ships compliment.

Floyd - If you enlarge the first pic you'll see how I looped the hammock. I didn't do a the (martinstrike knot?) I started with a standard knot then I looped it around the hammock, pulled it under then repeated 7 more times. (hopefully I made sense). I haven't sealed the edges yet, but the fabric is a very tight woven linen I picked up at a fabric store. I bought some fabric glue but haven't tried it yet.

Richard

Really amazing work Richard.  Thanks very much for sharing.  I hope my fifth build looks as nice as your first :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Richard, your hammocks are a very nice touch to a beautiful model! Well done! Although I don't envy you doing another 119 of them  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

beautiful work Richard,

all the deck Fitting out very well done. I also like the hammock netting

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you all for your likes and comments - they are really appreciated!

Mike, I'm sure you'll do better than me, Your Badger turned out fantastic and I'm jealous of your gun rigging. Nice tight coils.

Gahm, many thanks as always and I'm not very envious of myself with the number of hammocks I have in front of me. But I guess its the little things that will make the entire ship look better. I'm thinking about stealing your rudder skirt design if you don't mind.

Nils, thanks for dropping by and also for the compliments.

Currently I'm getting my lifts glued on my long boat and working on hammocks. 

Does anybody know if the head had a seat of ease? After seeing Dubz's Syren it has me wondering?

Richard