US Brig Syren by Robert-J-M - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 18 gun brig

Planking came out just fine it looks like to me.  For those last bends into the bow rabbet, I used water and heat, and bent them off the hull a little bit at a time until the fit was right.  If you try to make the entire bend in one heat cycle, it will break like you experienced, or at least that was what I ran into.  Soak, heat & bend, test fit.  Soak, heat & bend a little more, test fit.  Repeat as needed.

Hello Robert, 

I think you did a fine job on your first hull planking. The problems you are listing are problems most other ship model builders have to deal with, too - at leat I know for sure that I had to deal with them  :). Once the hull is stained and painted the one or other imperfection, which seems to be very obvious to the builder of the model, is barely noticeable for anybody else because of the overall impression of the hull. The choice between staining and painting the hull is more a matter of personal preference and not a matter of right and wrong. I have seen a lot of models - including Syren models - which were painted with ochre and looked fantastic. As far as I know the original ships were painted that way. So when choosing to paint your Syren with ochre you have every chance to end up with a great looking, beautiful model. 

And most importantly: have fun building your model! That is ultimately what it is all about!

Thomas  

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks for the support folks!  It would take allot more closer pictures to see the areas which would mess up a stain job, including CA glue on the surface, and I haven't put the filler on yet.  Nonetheless, I think it will look nice when painted so I am satisfied.  

Robert

Bye Y'all ! - Robert

Current Build and First Wood Kit:

Brig Syren MS Kit 1:64

Past Builds, all Plastic 30-40 years ago: 

Revell 1:96 Constitution and United States

Tamiya 1:350 CVN-65 Enterprise

Countless other sailing ships and modern warships

I'm curious to see what yours looks like with the yellow ochre paint. I'm trying to decide whether to paint or to use golden oak stain.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Talking about planking, I too am going to be building the Syren in the near future and I was considering using one of the plank bending tools that actually crimps one side of the plank so the it bends.  I saw a guy on Youtube use one and it looked pretty easy to use.  Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) about the use of one of these tools?

I used the crimping device when planking my Syren. I used it mostly with the more severe bends near the stern or bow. I found it to be quick, easy and effective. For more gradual bends, I used traditional water.

I would practice on a couple of scrap pieces to figure out the amount of pressure to use.  Also, if you saw the same YouTube that I did, the discussion about the spacing between the "crimps" is very helpful.  The more severe the bend, the tighter the crimps should be to each other. 

I found it had no negative effects on the outside (viewed) side of the plank .

As I said, I found it easy, and no waiting for planks to dry between shaping and gluing. I would think that it is worth a try if you are interested. 

Richard 

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Pirate Bob. I used one of them on my Swift, and after sanding, the marks showed through, but I probably over crimped, and

then had sand a fair bit to flatten out the planks. I was double planking and it really didn't matter

If you can keep the crimping to a minimum it might work all right.

Chris

PS I have a Syren as well that I hope to start in a few months time.