HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Hello Everyone...

It didn't take me as long as I expected to finish my HMS Victory by Jotika but I am blessed with a lot of time on my hands.  I started her in February of 2013 and wrapped her up last month, November, 2014. Please see below....

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1951-hms-victory-by-jerry-jotika-scale-172-1805-version-wood/?hl=%2Bhms+%2Bvictory+%2Bjerry

Although I am still waiting for the display case in which to place Victory, I have decided that sitting around watching television or playing on-line poker is just not fulfilling so I decided to start another kit.  I was lucky to pick up Corel's Half Moon by being the winning bidder on EBay a week or so ago and after spending the last couple of evenings looking over the plans, instruction booklet, kit, etc., I began construction today.  I feel very fortunate that others have written build logs on this site for I'm sure I'll need them badly for reference.  Half Moon will be my third wooden boat build as I have also built the Cutty Sark about 15 years ago which I see every day sitting in her display case inside the entrance to our home.

So here is the beginning of my new log and I hope it will be helpful to anyone that wants to use it.

One good thing about pictures....they speak for themselves:  Please place your mouse over the picture for a caption.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-44447200-1418505961_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36723400-1418505982_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-35709700-1418505992_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-22575500-1418506009_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23879100-1418506022_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10767800-1418506032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry, good luck to your new build, i' m sure you will do a wonderful job!!

Cheers :)

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Good morning everyone.

Just a note to say thank you to Lawrence, Cecil, David and Dimitris.  I appreciate your support and good wishes and look forward to our future communications as I progress with the build of the Half Moon.  Hope everyone has a great day.

Best,

Jerry

A fine job on those bulkheads Jerry. Did you have any trouble with warping of the materials?

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Good morning, Chris...I appreciate your suggestion with regard to supports between the bulkheads.  There doesn't seem to be any "give" with these frames so I don't believe it will be necessary to do that.  I hope you will continue to offer suggestions as time goes on.

Best,

Jerry

G'day S. Coleman.... and thank you for visiting my log.  The material, so far, in this kit has been true and I have not noticed any warping.  I haven't completely checked the stripping but so far, so good.   Please continue to visit and offer any suggestions.  Best,

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well aren't you a lucky chap?? Throw the plans away, you don't need them. A build by both max and Alex for you to emulate. A daunting task !!!!!! real cracking ships, but you are very lucky to have lots of info. As I said earlier the hull needs to be really neat as all is visible wood, so is a take your time job. To be honest it is a bit of a challenge being small as everything needs to be very tidy if you follow. Did you notice I didn't even notice the caroline hull was painted white. All my concentration was on logs with a wood finish. Which I am obviously trying to achieve. Anyway good luck with your build, I reckon we are going to both enjoy them. Take care Jerry DAVID

Good morning, David....

and many thanks for your visit and comments.  Yes, I am lucky to have the ability to eavesdrop on a few excellent logs of the Half Moon.  Don't forget Anja's contribution, a build log of substantial value.  I'm taking nothing for granted with this project as what you say is true.  This hull will not be covered with 1600 copper plates as the HMS Victory's hull,  I imagine a neat planking job is a must and I am proceeding at a much slower pace than when building Victory.  I probably will begin the aforementioned planking in a couple of days or so and am puzzled by the thickness of the strip wood used for the initial covering.  Using strips 1.5mm thick is something new for me and my first thoughts are about flexibility.  But as you say, others have used the same material with excellent results.  I believe one plus in using strip wood this thick is its ability to take a push-pin without splitting.  I'll be using my usual method of soaking the material for about 24 hours which usually helps bending it without breaking it.  I'm in the process of shaping and adding the deck beams which I expect to finish today, along with the quarterdeck, poopdeck and forecastle.  This should bring me to the initial hull planking.  A few photos of my progress follows.

post-545-0-47000100-1418733132_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-08647100-1418733157_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07082800-1418733169_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20143600-1418733199_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68799900-1418733209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.

Many thanks for your visit and for your favorable comments.  It was indeed  a pleasure to visit with you on Skype yesterday; it was nice to see Bernie, too.  I don't know why you think I'm moving quickly on this project as I believe I'm working much slower than in the past.  However, either way it's still a great way to spend some time.  I hope you guys do have an early spring as from what I've seen in the past, your winter can mean an awful lot of snow.  I'm looking forward to your encasing Victory and displaying it.  Hope you have a great day.  Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry

I am also building the half moon (slowly) as a side project to my all consuming Friesland. I also felt the first planking is very thick, thicker even than my 90cm long Friesland

Its not a showstopper but do realize that at the stern deadwood the thickness will add up substantially. I solved this by redoing the keel, leaving a recess to accept the first planking.

You can check my log if you want:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8253-half-moon-by-chrislinden-corel/#entry266514

As for bending, this type of wood does not need 24 hours at all. 10 minutes in hot water usually is enough. Hot steam above a boiling pot also works wonders. But again its personal preference, just offering some thoughts that might speed up your workflow.

Cheers!

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

Hi Chris.  

Yep, I know you are also building the Half Moon as I have been to your site as you surely know.  Interesting that in one of your posts you mentioned the thickness of the first planking strips.  Thanks for the tip on the short soaking of the wood; I'll try it that way when I get to the planking.  I still have a couple of more beams to shape and install and the rest of the smaller decks. I hope to do this later today.  My biggest concern at this time has nothing to do with the Half Moon but rather with the HMS Victory as I'm still waiting for the display cover.  Hopefully the fabricator will have for me in a couple of days as promised.  Have a great evening.  Best,

Jerry

Good evening everyone.

Here's a little more progress in my build of the Half Moon.  I still have some trimming and sanding to do but the presses were closing for the day so I figured I'd better post these photos.  Have a great evening one and all. 

Best 

Jerry

post-545-0-94080700-1418770614_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-66117500-1418770623_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-13746800-1418770632_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23862900-1418770660_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-43276400-1418770815_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24546200-1418770826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Chris...You must be something special...I could never build 2 boats at the same time. 

Well, I'm almost ready to begin the first planking but i still have a little more sanding to do.  hope you're having a good day.

Best,

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

, Well you a certainly buzzing along and it's looking good, but have a bit of sorting out to do on the keel with the build up of thickness of the planks. I had an idea that was going to happen on my ship. Luckily I had the option of leaving off the first planking in that area, and I will use 0.5mm for the second planking on the keel, and plank the rudder also with 0.5mm which solves things. I was also warned by Nigel about the thickness build up. I am sure you will have no prob getting yours sorted, and it looks like you are going to have a few friends at hand. Keep enjoying it Jerry

Hello David..

Thanks so much for dropping in to say hello.  I'm happy that you have everything under control with your new build and figured out the build-up problem.  I really don't see the same problem with Half Moon as there's a lot keel available beforee the planking.  I do see a problem when it comes to planking the bow area, especially below and above the Beak platform deck.  (part 23 in this kit)    If I were to run the plank over the filler and to the keel it will fall below the platform and not along the platform's edge.  I have included a couple of photos to illustrate what I mean.  Upon checking the build of others, I believe that they trimmed back the edge of the platform to bring it even with the top of the filler blocks.  This will allow the planking to be stacked flush with each other.  I know this is confusing but I hope you understand what I mean.  Talk to you soon.

Best,
Jerry

post-545-0-11391500-1418844475_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-06944800-1418844483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David,

The primary planking uses  strips of soft tanganika wood 1.5 mils thick.  I have soaked them in water for a few hours and have had no problem bending them around the tighter curve.  The fact that they are 1.5 mm thick makes them hold a  nail or pin easier.

Thanks for asking and take care,

Jerry

Hello Glenn..

I appreciate your visit to my new site.  This smaller kit seems to have some advantages like being easier to move around. I'm ready to begint he first planking which looks a bit harder than with the Victory due to a blunter bow.  Also, never having worked with 1.5 mm thick strips, anything can happen.

I've been to your log and you are making wonderfully neat progress. It won't be too long and you'll be pondering the rigging.

Take care, Glenn

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone..

The first two rows of planking strips have been glued to the frame.  Some people probably won't agree with my method of soaking the wooden strips but I have never had a problem with the way I do it.  I actually leave he strips in a bottle of water until I'm ready to apply one.  The wood has never deteriorated and is very easy to bend.  So, my next endeavor will be to prepare the gunport blocks and glue them into place.  Happy evening to everyone.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-02266300-1418935654_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79200400-1418935665_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79389600-1418935673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well that is very impressive !! The curve around the bows is really good. Keep it going you are doing a fine job. I will finish my second planking in a couple of hours time, but then the thin planking of the keel. The pva holds things up a lot. Take care, catch you later DAVID

Hello David..  Well it feels like Deja Vu all over again.  I think I must have drank something after my admiral slipped a mickey in it.  She wanted a galleon type ship and I wanted to take a long break.  She won!  So it's planking time again.  At least with this kit you can carry it around at this stage of the game.

The frame for my display case for Victory is finally here and I'll be attaching it to the table this evening in preparation for the case itself which will be here tomorrow.  So Victory will finally say goodbye to dust, bugs, little fingers, etc., tomorrow,  I'll post some pictures on my Victory log site.  Have a great night.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry, I'm new to this sight an am doing the Half Moon by Coral once my Hms Bounty Launch. I look forward to seeing your project advance, it looks really good! Matt.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)