Fellow modeler needs help

Riptide

Fellow modeler "Frankie Day" had gotten the model of the armed Virginia Sloop from Latina which had the plans for there riverboat in the kit.  He contacted Latina and they sent him a file to download on his computer of the plans for the Virginia Sloop.  How are you supposed to take measurements off a computer file?  So he took the model back and ordered another.  You got it, the second kit had the wrong plans also.  Now I would have said the hell with it and went on to another model.  

Frankie is in his 70's and has been modeling for almost 60 years.  He has a you-tube chanel and goes by the name Frankie Day.  I was wondering if anyone has built the Virginia Sloop from Artesania Latina and could maybe send him your old plans.  He has his heart set on building this ship.  

I would say that quality control and customer service have gone out the window at Latinia.

there are shops that will print files for you on the correct size of paper, it will cost a bit but not too much.

if they sent him to get a pdf file just put that file on a flash drive or a CD-ROM disk and take it to a FedEx store if he is in the US.  he can tell them that he has blueprint type files that need to be printed on a large format printer, they should help him get them all printed.

depending on the page size it may cost like 5 a sheet to print them.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

I think that is what he is going to do if he can find a place to print that big.  I took my plans of the Bluenose to Office Max and Stapples to get copies made and they could not print that big.  Latinia droped the ball on this one, should have sent him new plans.  You buy a model then have to go get your own plans printed.

there is something going on with Latinia past few months.  Their online ordering is broken ( after several emails all I have gotten is an 'we know..." answer) and several on line hobby stores are listing not only out of stock on Latinia products but even have removed prices and just placed notes like "call for availability and changes in price"

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model

printing:   you have to check, there are a lot of places that print blueprints who will have the right printers.

a lot of the office stores just have 11x17 and high speed "commercial" copy / print and that is not what is needed for this.

I agree that they should have sent him the right plans but if they can't / wont  and he wants the plans for that build then it's what he will have to do.

Building Hull :

I think the problem is solved and it may answer the reply above about "something going on at Latina".  It seems the distributor in the U.S. has gotten so many complants about wrong plans in this kit that they looked at the 500 kits they had in stock and found they all had the wrong plans.  So Latina is going to send Frankie a new set of plans.  It looks like Latina has a big big quality control problem and maybe trying to retify it before any more kits are ordered.  Thanks for the help.

Wow, 500 all with wrong plans.... that's a HUGE error, it's one thing if here and there one set is wrong but a whole run...

Building Hull :