This forum seems to be such a wealth of information on the Victory that I thought I would ask this here as well.  I have painted the inner bulwarks on the upper gundeck in Yellow Ochre from the Cornwall paint set.  I am very happy with the color but it has a very very matte finish.  I have a bottle of Testors semi-gloss clear coat that I am considering painting over with to give just a touch of shine to it but thought I would check with you guys that have seen the real thing up close or know her better than I do.

Is the finish truly a flat matte or would a semi-gloss finish be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!

From my photos onboard Victory, the paint is clearly semi-gloss. That being said, scale effect would say to paint it matte, but I think you will be fine with one coat of semi-gloss. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I might be wrong, but back then when she was sailing, I doubt that they had gloss or semi-gloss paint.  Varnish maybe....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Model Master paints are made by Testors. They are more military a/c or armo(u)r related. Come in both enamel and acrylic, although the acrylics have a more limited selection.

You'll see many paints with FS numbers. These are Federal Spec numbers, used in the US post WWII. If it's a 3XXXX, it's flat. If its a 1XXXX, it's a gloss. Don't think anybody makes satin finish paints in the FS2XXXX line.

HTH

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

What was on the label? Model Master/Testors makes a gloss and a flat; guess a satin coat from them makes sense.

For most models, use a clear gloss (Gloss coat, Pledge with Future, Klear) for a coating under decals. Smooth surface avoids silvering of the decals. Everything gets some amount of weathering, so a satin or flat final coat looks best.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

This forum seems to be such a wealth of information on the Victory that I thought I would ask this here as well.  I have painted the inner bulwarks on the upper gundeck in Yellow Ochre from the Cornwall paint set.  I am very happy with the color but it has a very very matte finish.  I have a bottle of Testors semi-gloss clear coat that I am considering painting over with to give just a touch of shine to it but thought I would check with you guys that have seen the real thing up close or know her better than I do.

Is the finish truly a flat matte or would a semi-gloss finish be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!

This is from a restorers point of view. You need to remember that gloss paints were enormously expensive and only used where vital such as the out side. Inside they would have used a milk paint in all probability which was mixed on the day and used on the day. It gave a flat mat finish just like white wash. And rubbed of as much. Sometimes people would clear wax over it to stop it rubbing of. Think of a gunner in white clothes leaning on a yellow wall sweat and heat would be a sure sign he'd been lolling about. And a sure way to get flogged. So if you must shine the inside do so with a soft shine. And even use beeswax. If you go to your local beekeeper. Look on line for one. And I get mine a kilo for £4 mixed with pure turpentine or just warmed in hot water then paint it on as you would varnish. Leave over night then buff to a great shine. And it's still possible to add details like grime by using mineral oil(baby oil) and a powder based paint. The oil softens the wax and the paint sinks in. If you don't like it just scarpe the wax off. And try again

Hope this helps.

Izzy

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can