US Brig Oneida 1809 by rlb - The Lumberyard - 1:48 scale - POF - Lake Ontario Warship

Thanks, Russ.

I have some pieces of square stock in cherry that I might be able to use.  Color-wise, the type of wood doesn't matter as I plan to paint or stain the dead-eyes black.   The square stock is pretty oversize (it's about 1/4 or 5/16"), especially for the smaller of the  dead-eyes I'll need.  But I don't need much.   About 8" of length will supply the 3/16" size dead-eyes, and I may need even less for the 1/8" size.  I don't have a way to rip wood, but for these pieces I think I can sand it down, and then I'll look at buying a screw gage to draw it round.  If none of that works, then I can go back to the dowels.

I'm happy with the jig.  I can experiment with cutting the blanks for the dead-eyes first and then drilling the holes--in which case I could use my rotary tool "drill-press"; or continue completely by hand a la Underhill.

Ron

Edited by rlb

Ron,

Nice little jig there.  I like the approach, the soldered ring and drilled metal sheet, and the results look good to me.  Very nice.  I think hardwood is the way to go with the deadeye material - provides strength of breaking or tear-out in the small finished detail.

Very nice.

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

I set about reducing a square cherry piece to a dowel for the larger dead-eyes.   The piece was a little over 1/4" square--9/32" to be exact.  I needed to get it down to 3/16".

This was done all by sandpaper.  First sanding it square down to just a hair over 3/16"--

post-69-0-39723800-1363315167.jpg

Then, sanding at a 45 degree angle on the 4 corners of the square, creating an octagon.  Then just twisting the piece in a loop of sandpaper until it was round.  I used 80 grit, then 160, and finally smoothed it a bit with 320--

post-69-0-22445700-1363315170.jpg 

post-69-0-96745600-1363315168.jpg

(The caliper in this picture was set to millimeters--it shows just under 5 mm)

Yes, it took a long time, but I was in no rush.

Then I used the jig, drilled the holes and roughed out a deadeye--

post-69-0-80523400-1363315170.jpg

post-69-0-56041200-1363315171.jpg

I'm not sure how thick to make the deadeyes.  I need to work with the shroud line, and chain links to determine this.

My short list of the next steps is--(1) finish my experimentation on how to make the deadeyes (I don't necessarily need to make them all yet, just settle in my mind how I'm going to do it).   (2) experiment with making belaying pins, (3) make the pinrails.

Ron

Edited by rlb

Hey Ron,

More excellent work. As you were stating you needed to make deadeyes and didnt have a lathe I instantly thought of Russ crossection jig, then you beat me too it. I like the way you modified it to sit on the dowel with the metal ring.

Turning down that cherry to 5mm must of been relaxing, stuff like that I find like meditation. The cherry looks good also and its hard enough that it should hold up without getting dings like a softer basswood might. 

Keith

Ron:

I used to be able to tell you right off the top of my head the thickness of the deadeye, but I cannot recall the source I read it in. However, I "think" (not to be trusted) the deadeye's thickness is half its diameter. Your deadeye jig should be that depth (whatever it is) so that you can cut the deadeye off in the jig and then pop it out afterwards. If someone knows for sure the relative thickness, please correct me here.  

Russ

The new deadeyes from cherry are looking great. This is yet another idea I may be stealing down the road. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks, Russ.  1/2 the diameter just happens to be about what the thickness of the jig is now--I can file the brass ring down if it needs to be thinner.  I'll have to do that when I make a jig for the smaller (1/8") deadeyes.

Keith and Patrick,  I take no credit for the jig.  It's directly from Harold Underhill's Plank on Frame Models v.1.  I need to remember to look there first when I'm not sure how to make something!

Ron

When I saw your first attempt at cutting deadeyes using stock dowel I though, wow, what great work... But of coarse your work isn't good enough at "wow" you re-did said dowel in cherry and all I can say is that the test deadeye looks Fantastic!

Keep keeping the bar set so high.

Brian 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Don,

I wish you good luck with your Oneida, and I hope your cateract surgery was sucessful. 

I don't think I needed to sand the keel or keelson narrower, they were pretty close to what it seemed they should be.

The frames are another story.  Taking off 1/16th (after assembling them) seems about right, but it might vary from kit to kit.  I just measured a few of my frames, and they measure .325 inches, which is about 15.6" in scale.  I'm not sure what they started out at.

Rubber cementing the frame drawings onto the frames couldn't hurt.  I think you will find that there will be excess wood on the frames, which will need to come off during fairing.  

I encourage you to start a build log!  It would be nice to see another Oneida taking shape.

Ron

Edited by rlb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

I am using regular Elmer's white glue, and have had no strength problems at any time.   As Titebond 2 has a distinct yellow color when dried, you might consider using their white/clear version, or Elmer's, just to avoid any visible patches of color.   Ideally, any dried glue on a visible surface would get sanded off, and nothing would ever show, but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that chance!

Ron

Since the subject of glue has come up.

I've been using Elmers WoodGlue Max. its waterproof and stainable. Interior or exterior.

I made deck stringers by laminating cherry veneer to basswood and then let it cure a couple days. I then soaked the piece for 10-15 minutes for shaping. I was worried it would de-laminate. It held fine.

Tthis glue is a light brown color and dries clear. I really like it so far.

Keith, that sounds like a pretty useful glue.

Don, I think this might be what I was suggesting--it's on Lowe's website, but I don't know if it's available locally for you.

post-69-0-03681000-1366833689.jpg

There's also a thread that was recently started here:   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1894-glue-recommendations/

That might give you more ideas.

Ron

Hey Ron

I liked that it stated stainable, I always worry about the finishing process. Everything looks great then the glue interfers with the finish. We have yet to see if its stainable statement is true but it does become rather water tight/resistant, although I have tested a laminated piece and with long soaking it can be de-laminated. It held long enough for the deck stringer shaping, which I was worried it wouldn't.

Things arent always as advertised.

Don, no problem with the questions.

I did not make any marks or guidelines on my building board.  The forward cant frames just about butt together where they meet the keel, and I transferred some marks from the plan set to the keel for the spacing of the aft cant frames.  There are some photos of this in my log on page 3, scroll way down to post #39.

I will echo to you some advice that Elia,(who also built an Oneida model) gave me.   He suggested making some kind of jig to get the bow shape correct.  I didn't make a good enough one, and had some problems.  I also suggest doing this for the stern, because mine turned out a little narrow.   A piece of wood cut to the correct hull shape, held vertically off of the building board at the bow and stern would be a good idea.  You can see examples of this on other logs--off the top of my head I don't remember which, but check out a bunch of the scratch build logs--you'll get the idea.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

The description of makeing the deadeyes is really interesting. Thanks for shareing

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Don,

There was one frame, I do not recall which one, that was just as you described, and had to be trimmed short.  It confused me at first also.  Glad to hear you are making progress.

Thanks, Christian.

I have not been working very hard on my Oneida.  I have sporadically been working on turning out the belaying pins, and I do hope to have an update before too much longer.

Ron

Edited by rlb

Looking very good, Ron - I may not comment on it, but I am taking copious notes on how you have approached some of the parts and pieces.

Also, before I forget, Happy Birthday!!!

feuxdartifice.gif

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Beautiful work, as always, Ron - and such dedication to detail! Wonderful

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

Ron, I came across your build while doing some google searches for the Brig Niagara. Your build is well done and the model is well built, very professional and not a lot of use of fancy tools. kuddoes to Lunberyard!

I will definately come back to see the finished model

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Wonderful and enjoyable built! Thanks for showing the details :-)

Daniel

My Oneida has been in limbo for far too long.

Thank you Daniel, Guy, Hamilton, Wayne and Adrieke, for your comments, as I have been AWOL.

Eventually I will work on the model again.  Again, thanks.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Hello Ron,

I received the kit from the Lumberyard for the Oneida, there were some parts missing in the box and the drawings are in black and white which make the identification of the parts difficult sometime ! I have seen that you have a drawing from Lachapelle, which seems much more detailled that the one they provide with the kit, could you tell me where you found those plans, and your model look terrific by the way !

Thank you in advance

NB I am new to this forum.

Philippe in Québec city

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the compliment, and I encourage you to start a build log for your Oneida.  It would be great to see it taking shape. 

The Chapelle plan (and also the sail plan) is available from the Smithsonian Institution, here:  http://americanhistory.si.edu/about/departments/work-and-industry/ship-plans

Regards,

Ron