De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

• 3 weeks later...

That's taking nice shape Drazen, lovely work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 8 months later...

Towers are ready. The windows are missing and some details. This will be done later.

The sharp edges where the klinker are connected are not very exact, but I didn't care since the sculptures are going to cover this areas.

The whole system is like LEGO - it can be disassembled in order to paint the parts later separately. Also the other parts on the side galleries can be removed. This will be shown later.

Drazen

2019-12-22.jpg

2019-12-30 (2).jpg

Edited by Drazen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

Making klinker on the hull...

For this, I needed to cut different widths of the klinker planking and on some areas - continuously narrow them. So I have the same number of planks at the beginning and the end of one section of the hull. (The part of the hull which I needed to plank with the klinker is higher at the stern.)

Drazen

2020-02-25.jpg

2020-03-07 (1).jpg

2020-03-07 (2).jpg

2020-03-13.jpg

2020-03-22 (1).jpg

Stunning work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jan,

1. Solution: You will find the answer on the last photo. On the wall, there is a small humidity measuring device. I am trying to keep the humidity between 45% and 55%. In the winter, I have a humidifier and in the summer a dehumidifier. In a normal situation - if I would not work in the cellar - this would not be any problem since the deviations in my flat are from 42% to 58%.

2. Solution: I have reinforced the areas which were opened and I could work with epoxy and glass wool. The complete stern lower part (area near the sternpost), I have filled in with epoxy and glass wool and the vertical walls on the kampanje dek and hutdek, I covered with the several layers of glass wool. 4-6 layers come out thin, but this holds very well and will be covered later on with the klinker anyhow.

3. Solution (did not work): Since the cracks on the deck near the gratings were not possible to reinforce with epoxy laminate, I tried to spray the shellac through the gunports. I sprayed several layers of shellac, starting with very thin, to normal. The idea was to cover the wood also from inside and thus prevent humidity coming in. This did not work. It seams that the covering is not well or not possible and the humidity finds some possibility to enter the wood. Still, keeping the humidity under control makes these cracks nearly not visible (see my next photos). If I one day decide to live in Norway (what is a heart wish of mine), there, I may have again the problem due to the low humidity.

Conclusion: Next time, I would do the walls of my base layer much thinner and think about reinforcing the structure from inside. I was talking to a colleague of mine (Alexandr Dobrenko - unfortunately, he died in a car accident last year) and he said, the problem is less with peer and he also covers the wood with special oil from inside. Just as an option to think. Strong humidity deviations + thick wood - without reinforcing structure inside is really a big problem.

Following photos before and after my actions...

Drazen