De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen - Scale 1:45

... testing on a piece of wood...

By the way, I was trying to get the greyish surface of oak bleached by sun and wear. For this, I made approx 80 tests - I think, I found now the right combination of mordant and the right procedure.

The last photo is just one of the test stripes, not the final solution.

Dražen

post-1930-0-64364100-1362612063_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-46410300-1362612065_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-32231900-1362612067_thumb.jpg

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

Yes, a sharp eye!

Well, I did not need to make any of the lower except two of them and one on the other side. I am going to keep the lower gunports closed in order to better show the ship line and avoid too much guns showing out. I just do not like this and want to make it a little different. Three gunports on the lower deck will be slightly opened.

Dražen

But then, why bother to make all the other gunports on the orlopdeck??  

Jan

Jan, this is a good question...  I think it was the time I was not 100% sure if I will let them open or closed, so did most of the lower gunports on one side. I think, I decided not to open them before I did the last two.

It is somehow odd but, it is so. You may forgive me for doing to much - things I do not need :huh:

Dražen

Very nice way for making wooden sticks. Thanks for showing us!

This works extremely fast. If you manage to get a smooth surface (edge) of the needle inside and, you cut in the direction of the grain, the wood will not break. I made 2000 - 3000 in few hours, depending how long I have fun to repeat this, honestly monotonous movements with the precision drill.

Dražen

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question:

Does anybody have some information on how the bolts have been arranged to fix the main mast pertner ("visser") on the lower deck?

Also good fotos from Vasa could help.

Dražen

ok no explicitie dimensiens are givven  so you have the make iht between 2 dekbeems  and  the schaarstokken.

i hope somone can explane you in proper englich  bicos i dond know the  englich name fore iht.

if the schaarstokken  stand more than 3 feet    i think  on the 7 prov  in you case 7 feet i wil reduse ( bring iht back )  thil 3 feet

Edited by amazone

Thank you amazone,

These will help - especially on the Vasa photo, I can see the bolts on the hatch. Do you have a high resolution proto, you can send? If yes, I will send you a PM with my private email so you can send me these.

I meant to fix the partners to the beams, but will need some additional fixation so want to do it historically right. Any photos from the lower deck on Vasa? - there is the real  partner (visser) carrying the load of the mast positioned. On the upper deck, there is just a simple hatch - but I also need these photos too.

thanx

Dražen

Here are the explanations in pictures/photos:

• plan of the lower deck (overloop)
  • photo of the partner (visser) I made. Please, note that I need to show only a small part of it under the ladders since this could be seen a little. On the photo, you see the bolts I already have made, but I am sure there have been more in order to hold this loaded part safely.

Dražen

post-1930-0-92993200-1363732978_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-65111300-1363733122_thumb.jpg

Let us go on with the history...

My tool for making gratings: M6 thread gives a 1mm shift per turn. You get the point?

The linear bearing is from an old typewriter so I get a very controlled movement when milling.

The adjusting wheel is from a garden tube connector, the scale simply printed on the computer printer, glued/covered with epoxy.

Dražen

post-1930-0-03797400-1363908055.jpg

post-1930-0-36005000-1363908065_thumb.jpg

We came no to the present.

I have been digging a hole in the hull before I install the gratings and lay the deck planking.

On the photos, you can see nicely the strong fixation for the ship - two screws with strong metal "star-fixation", fixed around with wooden pieces.

Dražen

post-1930-0-53509000-1363909385_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-27505400-1363909387_thumb.jpg