De Zeven Provinciën 1665 by Dražen Carić - Scale 1: 45

Thank you guys!

Well, I was building high end loudspeakers in the last few months. But, I didn't stop the 7P, not at all. Just a small break.

The link to my loudspeaker project is (Facebook):

https://www.facebook.com/drazen.caric/media_set?set=a.643405582340354.1073741825.100000127558687&type=3

.. and sorry, it is in German.

We will definitely go on in next months. First to rest into holidays in August.

Drazen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

• 2 months later...

Hello Drazen

you build is absolutely amazing and darink. i love this ship, especially, when someone say historical ship, I imagine this kind of ship. I´m thinking about this ship for my next build.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not mean to jump the gun but............... what color/colors will you be using for the upper works.? I have seen black. dark gray, blue, and even green in various models and paintings. The Storck painting of the Four Days battle seems to show the dark gray. I would like to do a painting

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Blue or green are the most likely colours. Black and grey were not used.

Merchant ships were just painted dark brown, the admirality ships were probably green or blue.

Problem is: no written records left, and paintings are not too reliable to take colour samples from....

The model in Lelystad by Tomesen (Artitec) is probably the most documented. That one is in green.

Jan

• 2 months later...

Status now…

Next, I am going to grind the decks to a plane surface.

The waterway is still not installed, but a false one – in order not to damage the right waterway during grinding process.

Dražen

post-1930-0-94540400-1390258308_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-73862500-1390258311_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-67068400-1390258314_thumb.jpg

Concerning the colour of the painted part of the hull, I will probably use light pale green paint. In my opinion, the Revel model paint SM 365 comes quite close to it. Maybe I will mix a little of the Matt 59 to make it lighter and definitely dull. Please, see the model from the Artitec in my previous postings.

I think the Batavia also has similar colour.

Dražen

Nice work and thanks for the bolt making technique! It´ll be a plus for my next ships. ^^

Hello  Dražen,

Great looking deck planking!  Looking forward to the pain colors, green was used a lot on those ships.

Cheers, 

Edited by Piet

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

What a piece of work !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I have a question concerning the scuppers (spuigat): On different models, I see different constructions.

Since I am going to show only the scuppers on the upper deck (Verdek), I am not sure if Dik’s construction is the one meant for this deck. I attached the sketch from Dik’s book.

Any idea if this construction is right for the upper deck?

The model from Winter’s book (Holländischer Zweidecker 1660/70) has different, more simple construction.

Dražen

post-1930-0-69174800-1390344346_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at the pics in Winter, but I can't see how exactly the thing is done there.

On the model of the Prins Willem, there are only small wooden blocks on the outside, with a hole in it, suggesting something like Dik has drawn. On the other hand, the round holes in Winter suggest something like a lead pipe, just sticking through the hull.....

Witsen in his book on the PInas, just draws a simple lead pipe (plate XLIII). However, on plate 33 he draws it as a square pice of wood (bosch), and in the tekst he gives the dimensions of it, and shows also the small leather tube that is fixed to it, to prevent water getting into the ship through these wooden pipes.

Hoving writes that the bos is set through the 'lijfhout', more or less like Dik is showing it. However, ZP is much later than Witsen's Pinas.....

The Artitec-model in Lelystad shows round  (wooden?) pipes through the hull at the lower gundeck, while there are just (square) holes in the hull at the upper deck.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Amazing build, Drazen! I'll be following closely how you progress as - being Dutch myself - de zeven provincien is the ship that eventually I'd like to build myself. I'm some way off that though, very new to the model ship building hobby so will have to get some kits underneath my belt first before I even contemplate replicating what you're doing!

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Drazen,

Nice to see you're back and building further on the Zeven Provinciën. Loved your build up till now and hope to see much more of this incredible work.

The colour green you had in mind is a very nice one, but I believe it was mostly used on merchant vessels, the dutch tended to use smalt blue (cheap glassgrind) to be able to identify the warships in often large combined fleets (on war effort or surveillance of the returning East Indian fleet). This colour blue lost its brightness quite soon and became grey after a short time at sea. The colour green you mentioned also tended te become grey after longer time, so the end result won't differ that much.

Succes with the build.

Diederik

This is the artitec model in Lelystad. The green is almost grey, and only slightly darker than the bronze guns.

On the left of the puic you can (bit hazy) see the difference in the water-sprouts on the lower deck (round, sticking out of the hull) and the upper deck (just a hole (just below the guns)

IMG_5176_det.JPG

Since, it seems, the info on the Artitec ship is interesting, I will post few photos I got from Herbert Thomaesen

I don't know if this is the model in the diorama or the one standing outside, but definitely a good source. Ab Hoving said, he, Cor Emke and Herbert were working closely together to make it right.

Dražen

post-1930-0-50342500-1390407538_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-69420200-1390407541_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-88776600-1390407544_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-75805800-1390407547_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-78136400-1390407550_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-88199700-1390407553_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-17216500-1390407557_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-42754200-1390407560_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-09171400-1390407564_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-42245700-1390407567_thumb.jpg

If you look at this model by Herbert Thomaesen, it seems to show the ship after a certain time of use/wear – not really a new ship.

I will show it in nearly new outfit, so must check the real colour with some people before I put my brush on the hull

Dražen

Jan,

... for the colours,  I am not so far to need to know it, just tried to express my opinion but, I can ask Ab next time – a good idea.

--- for the scuppers, we have been writing last week several times, but Ab said, he does not know about difference between lower and upper deck.  Maybe I am again thinking too exact. I think I have seen some models having different scupper construction on upper and lower decks. The model by Artitec does not have any scuppers! Maybe they added them later – after these photos had been taken.

Dražen

Another question for the discussion:

Positioning the gratings on the beams in the longitudinal direction...  also something not completely clear to me after discussing with Ab – probably even not known how this construction had been made on 7P.

From the sketch by Dik (pls. see drawing), it seems there is some kind of insert (additional part) put onto the beam. It’s function would be to hold the longitudinal gratings. Ab says, there is no need to add an additional part from the ship builder’s perspective. Still, on the Winter’s model, I believe to see some bolts on the beams (only there, where the gratings are) holding something – like they are holding this part which is sitting additionally on the beam. Do you know what I mean?

Any idea here how it should be?

For me it means: to show or not to show bolts on the beams in this place.

Dražen

post-1930-0-47861300-1390426948.jpg

Drazen,

On the scuppers: the drawings of Otte Blom seem to show the upperdeck with rectangular scuppers, almost in line with the top of the deck.

The lower deck has round scuppers with more downward slope.

The foto's of the Hohenzollern ship show some more detail (in my opinion) than the drawings of Winter and show the same configuration.

The Tomaesen ship doesn't have any scuppers before or after completion.

On the gratings I haven't found anything yet, but still searching....

Diederik

Concerning the colour for the 7P...

Here is the answer I got from Ab Hoving before few days:

“... the clinker part was painted with (most likely) Spanish green. It looks a bit on the pale side, but when you give it a wash of matt varnish with a little bit of Van Dijk's brown, you will see the color darkens to exactly what was done in those days.
Gold on ornaments is OK for prestigious models, but in reality they used bright oker yellow with a shining varnish over it, to imitate gold.”

Dražen