Miniture machine screw sizes

I just checked out the cost of these screws on the link provided. WOW!!!!! They are expensive. If you search for 'eyeglasses screws' on EBay you will find a box of various sized miniature screws costs around $5.00. They are stainless steel. I bought a box. There are enough screws (and some nuts) to last the average builder a lifetime!!

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Hornet

Eye glass screws are great but if you need something smaller than 1.2mm it gets expensive fast.  Not sure I would ever need something that small but nice to know where to find them.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

The screws in the box I got ranged from about 1.2 mm in diameter down to about 0.75mm in diameter. This is 0.03 inches. I guess if you wanted smaller you would have to pay the price, but 0.75mm is pretty tiny!!!

post-1505-0-25475200-1419412343_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

I have been working with some 0.5mm machine screws and nuts for shackles on a 1/12 scale sailboat model.  I absolutely need magnification to even see them and threading a .5mm nut onto the machine screw is a real challenge.  I wonder what the floor in the shop looks like where these things are made.  I bought double the number I need in anticipation of several disappearing when dropped - even with my jewelers style pull out bench extension I know I will wind up dropping some.

The source I use is Scale Hardware  http://www.scalehardware.com/miniature-hex-bolts-c-1 If you are looking for slightly larger stuff such as 00-90 sizes then PSME - Precision Scale Model Engineering  http://www.psmescale.com/  has nice stuff for a lot less.  The catalog is expensive but the owner will take phone calls and tell you prices, etc.  Just got some 00.90 screws and nuts from him - very good service from both of these places.

Merry Christmas,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

WOW, 0.5mm now that is amazing. The only way I can manage to find the smaller ones I've used when they have dropped onto the floor is with a magnet. I have had about a 75% recovery success rate (that is on a carpeted floor)

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

I picked up a jeweler's tap and die set awhile back simply because it looked neat and I thought I might need it.  The smallest size is 0.6mm.  I haven't tried it yet but I think it would be very tricky using the smaller sizes.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Brass screws of 0.5mm are used in Model railroads, so it should be no problem to procure them.

Used to use them me self when I built 00 working railroad engines.

Thanks to this site it has made me rethink on the use of such small screws for ship modelling.

Frank :piratebo5:

A friend lucked into a gross of stainless Swiss-made watch screws that were just right for finishing his 1:8 scale Chris Craft. All the rub rails, cutwater, and hatch strips are "secured" with these little guys. The rub rail in this image is about 1/8 inch high...

post-4253-0-21557400-1419629828_thumb.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

Hi Pat,

Any chance you could post more pics of your friend's Chris Craft. It looks great from the one photo you have posted already.

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Hi Pat

Hornet beat me to the same question.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Now that is a truly beautiful piece of work!!! Thank you for sharing!

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Pat

Thank you that is beautiful, I will check out the link.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.